PDA

View Full Version : Task Force 1/4 uses handheld thunder to secure Al Qa'im

thedrifter
06-21-07, 12:41 PM
“Contact from the front!” yelled Cpl. Kevin Knight, an assault team leader with Quick Reaction Force, Headquarters and Support Company, Task Force 1st Battalion, 4th Marine Regiment, Regimental Combat Team 2.

Marines dismounted from their vehicles ready to perform suppressive fire on the enemy during the sustained machine gun training and the Multiple Grenade Launcher 32, familiarization, fire and movement exercise they recently completed on the ranges at Camp Al Qa’im, Iraq.

“That was the first time I actually got to fire the M-32 (multiple grenade launcher),” Knight said.

Learning every Marine’s weapon is just as important to understanding their own during battle.

“You never know who’s going to get hurt in any given situation,” Knight said. “You have to have the confidence to use your weapon system and everyone else’s effectively.”

The M-32 MGL has many types of uses such as breaching and destroying barricades and bunkers.

“If a door is locked, we can blow a hole to create our own entry point,” Knight said.

The M32 was used for suppression fire during the exercise. Its operators were unsure, at first, how to quickly reload the weapon, but it soon became second nature to them.

“It has more control than the M-203 grenade launcher and its sight is better making it more accurate,” said Lance Cpl. Richard Rosales, a rifleman with QRF, Headquarters and Support Company, TF 1/4.

“I know I’ll do better next time I use it because I now have experience with it,” Rosales said. “You can always improve.”

Another grenadier provided suppressive fire while Rosales reloaded his M32. Knight would purposely pause firing, telling Rosales to “hurry up” adding stress to him while reloading.

“Once you get into a stressful situation, your normal job gets harder, and I want my Marines used to handling stress,” Knight said.

Grenadiers, riflemen and machine gunners all took turns firing at the targets downrange conserving ammunition but also keeping the enemy pinned down.

“That’s called ‘talking guns,’” said Pfc. Michael Cuellar, a machine gunner with QRF, H&S Company, TF 1/4. “It’s almost like a drawn out heartbeat. You’re in the moment, times frozen and all you hear are the guns talking.”

Talking guns not only conserves ammunition but allows Marines to move toward the enemy while the suppressive fire keeps the enemy from moving.

“This keeps the enemy scared giving us the psychological advantage making them think we are bigger than we really are,” Cuellar said. “Even though we are already bigger than we really are.”

The exercise was completed with a final debrief on how everything went.

“Overall the exercise went well,” Knight said. “It could’ve been better, but it can always be better. My Marines are going to perform and that’s the way it’s always been.”

The QRF’s self-criticism and constant willingness to seek self-improvement greatly enhances their ability to complete their assigned missions.

“We’re going to complete the mission, whatever it takes,” Knight said. “We are going to eliminate whatever stands in our way.”

Many tribes in Al Anbar have joined in helping the coalition forces combat terrorism thus minimizing firefights and attacks especially in the Al Qa’im area. Knight, as well as the rest of his Marines, understands that their posture must change accordingly. However, they are always ready should the situation require it.

“We’re not fighting every day, but we’re doing whatever it takes to get the job done,” Knight said. “If that means helping the people and the Iraqi Army, then by any means necessary, that’s how we’ll do it.”