http://www.glennbeck.com/home/rally.shtml

http://saturn.he.net/~danger/freepnet/

http://www.rallyforamerica.org/studrxn8.html

http://www.studentsprotectingamerica.com/

Fox news

'Pro-War' Movement Springs Into Action

Sunday, March 02, 2003
By Liza Porteus

NEW YORK — As time runs out for Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein to disarm or face a military thrashing from the United States and its allies, "pro-war" — or "anti-anti-war" — Americans are saying they have had enough of the recent protests in various cities at home and abroad.

"We decided we can't sit idly by while President Bush's agenda, specifically his continuing efforts on the war on terror, specifically Iraq … while they … Democrats, the left wing and Hollywood … conduct a well-coordinated, well organized, well-financed effort to undo the president and really to destroy him, because that's their goal," David Bossie, president of Citizens United, told Foxnews.com.

On Friday, Citizens United, a grassroots organization, launched a national ad campaign supporting Bush's hard-charging approach to Baghdad.

Whereas actor Martin Sheen, who plays imaginary President Jeb Bartlet on The West Wing, has become the Hollywood face for the anti-war movement, former Tennessee Republican Sen. Fred Thompson, a recognized actor in his own right, has become the face for the counter movement.

"Thank goodness we have a president with the courage to protect our country," said Thompson, who plays a New York City district attorney in the NBC series Law and Order, in the ad he wrote himself. "What should we do with the inevitable prospect of nuclear weapons in the hands of a murderous and aggressive enemy? Can we afford to appease Saddam?

"And for those who ask what has Saddam done to us, I ask what had the 9/11 hijackers done to us before 9/11?"

Citizens United has also launched a petition drive on its Web site to support Bush. Organization leaders have been traveling the radio and TV circuit getting their message out.

"We feel that it is vital that we hear both sides — that the American people feel both sides," Bossie said.

Bossie said the message of citizen support for the president has been lost in the shadows of celebrity activism against military action. Sheen, comedienne Janeane Garofalo, actress Susan Sarandon and rock star Sheryl Crow are among the Hollywood elite who have taken to the airwaves denouncing any war against Iraq and making Bush out to be the bad guy.

"They've been mad at him since he beat out Al Gore. This is really a chance to undo the president's popularity. That's what I really think — at the end of the day — they want," Bossie said.

Pro-war activism remains scattered and uncoordinated, but some demonstrations have already taken place.

On Feb. 8, 75 pro-warriors gathered in Costa Mesa, Calif., to wave American flags, chant "USA! USA!" and tote signs praising the administration’s hard-line stance.

Thousands of people showed up last Saturday in support of Bush and U.S. troops and criticized anti-war protestors and France's opposition to authorizing war against Iraq. Pro-war demonstrators took to the streets in Orlando, Pensacola, Indianapolis and Washington, D.C.

Marchers chanted and carried signs that recalled familiar slogans such as "America — Love It or Leave It."

"I was so saddened to see so many in our nation not supporting our troops and our country," Naval Warrant Officer David Wolff, a Desert Storm veteran, said of the marches. "This is very uplifting."

While Hollywood carries the torch of the much more visible anti-war movement, much of the pro-war activism is emerging from an unlikely place — college campuses.

On Feb. 13, students from Georgetown and American universities in Washington crowded outside the French embassy protesting France's opposition to the United States.

Last week, a group of students at Northwestern University in Illinois showed up at an anti-war protest to make a point that there is more than one viewpoint on this issue and that the media hasn't covered both sides.

Northwestern University junior David Weigel — also editor-in-chief of the campus' weekly Northwestern Chronicle — organized a group of about 25 people over e-mail to counter an anti-war protest on campus last week.

Weigel said students who want to oppose the anti-war — what he calls an "anti-American" movement — should invite speakers to campus and should take part in rallies to get the message out to the media that there is another corner of the debate.

"Being there at an anti-war protest, it may seem silly," he said, "but that has the effect of not letting the media treat it like a burgeoning anti-war movement …if there is no pro-America presence whatsoever, it's very easy for American reporters to just toe the anti-American line."

A group of Harvard law students this week launched Students for Protecting America. The group's position is that in the aftermath of Sept. 11, Americans can no longer remain complacent in the face of terrorism and the proliferation of weapons of mass destruction among rogue states.

"We are all frustrated by the anti-war protests of recent weeks and believe that most Americans agree with us, but have been less visible than the opposition," Brett Joshpe, founder of the group, said in a statement. "We firmly believe that in the absence of alternatives, this war is right for America, Iraq and the world."

Students for War is an ad-hoc committee recently set up to build support across America for military action. The group states that if Saddam is not disarmed, weapons reportedly in his possession will eventually come back to haunt us.

"Imagine if an Iraqi nuclear weapon were detonated on a American city — either by the Hussein’s regime directly or through terrorist immediacies — the result could be the catastrophic death of millions of Americans," the Web site reads.

"We feel those who would appease Saddam Hussein are just as misguided as those leaders of yesteryear who chose to appease German dictator Adolph Hitler."

Supporters can sign a petition addressed to Bush on the group's Web site, studentsforwar.

wrbones
03-16-03, 05:12 PM
Pro-America rallies and Support Our Troops rallies are growing and becoming more vocal.

http://www.bigpig.org/cgi-bin/pig.cgi?op=read&sid=355

Thousands Gather For Pro-America Rallies
Not Everyone Warmly Received
Posted: 8:54 a.m. CST March 3, 2003

HOUSTON -- Crowds gathered in two Texas cities Saturday to support President Bush's stand against Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein.
A crowd of more than 7,000 rallied in Selma, while an audience of between 8,000 and 10,000 cheered and waved flags while listening to speakers at a downtown Houston plaza, according to organizers, who work for radio stations owned by Clear Channel Communications Inc.

In the tiny town of Selma, north of San Antonio, the flag-waving crowd cheered God and country in the two-hour rally, led by syndicated talk show host Glenn Beck. The rally attracted war veterans, relatives of military personnel and others who said they are fed up with people who oppose possible war in the Persian Gulf.

Beck was interrupted several times by loud applause in a speech filled with patriotic and religious references. He urged Americans to be vigilant and stand united.

Organizers billed the rally as a "Celebration of American Pride" and invited people who oppose the Bush administration's policy on Iraq. There was little sign they accepted the offer.

Meanwhile, thousands more jammed into a downtown Houston plaza in support of Bush.

The crowd cheered, chanted and waved flags as they heard from speakers including U.S. House Majority Leader Rep. Tom DeLay, R-Sugar Land, House Deputy Whip Kevin Brady, R-The Woodlands, and City Councilman Michael Berry.

Not everyone who took the stage was warmly received.

U.S. Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee, D-Houston, was greeted by boos as she stepped onto the stage midway through the two-hour rally. Lee, the only speaker at the event who opposes military intervention in Iraq, was led from the plaza under protective police guard.

Houston police spokesman Joe Laud said he had no information on the incident or the size of the crowd.

The event was billed as a "Rally for America" that an organizer said was neither anti- nor pro-war.

http://www.huffmanisd.net/

JChristin
03-16-03, 07:06 PM
Rallies Attended Nationwide
WHO ATTENDED RALLIES ACROSS THE NATION IN SUPPORT OF OUR TROOPS AND WHAT WAS YOUR EXPERIENCE.

Yesterday, in downtown Portland, Oregon (pop. 1.8 million) over 30,000 people rallied against President Bush and against supporting our troops in the Middle East.

Today, in Portland, over 300 people showed up in Pioneer Courthouse Square demonstrating support to the President and to our troops.

Which one had more spirit? If you guess the smaller rally, you're right. The first speaker, a young man from Seattle really hit the nail on the head talking about his disappointing arrival yesterday, here in the City of Roses, when he witnessed people marching in support of Saddam Hussein, a dictator who has killed hundred of thousands of his own citizens with impunity. He asked, "Why aren't they protesting against Hussein? He's the dictator, not Bush." He asked the assembled crowd, "who is it who has defied the UN resolution 1441 by non-compliance?" "Saddam Hussein" the crowd answered.

When I spoke, I shared with the crowd that I once served in the finest military force in the entire world, the United States Marine Corps. Upon entry, I swore to an oath, an oath that has no expiration date, that I felt sadness at those veterans who seemed to have forgotten that oath. Then I shared that I believe in the right of the individual to differ in their opinion and the right to express that via the freedom of assembly. These are a few of the rights that make our country - and other countries that support democracy - great.

Then I added, however, "That doesn't mean that I value, nor respect, their opinion. Then I added that I had stayed away from downtown Portland yesterday when "those others" where having their day of say, because if one of them had said one word to me, they would of ended up flat on their butts in less than one quarter of a heartbeat." The crowd roared with approval.

I meet with the grassroots organizers of this event at the end of the day. Only having a few days from the inception of the ideal to hold a rally to actually holding it, to coincide with the anti-American, opps, I mean, anti-war protestors march, they did a fine job. We are planning to hold another one, only with more time to effectively plan it for the next time.

By the way, we also recited the "Pledge of Allegiance" with special emphasis placed upon "Under God." What a great moment that was.

semper fi
jchristin

Sparrowhawk
03-16-03, 07:32 PM
This thread has helped me greatly in preparing for my speech Wednesday, before the Camber of commerence

wrbones
03-16-03, 07:51 PM
I do what little I can, bro!

Glad to be of help.

wrbones
03-16-03, 11:20 PM
Fighting Back: Americans React to Celebrity Politicking 3/5/2003
By Martha Kleder

Milwaukee Talk Show Stands Up for Military; Pro-America Rallies Grow

A new USA Today/CNN/Gallup poll shows that despite continued protests and more Hollywood spokesmen than a collection of Super Bowl commercials, those opposed to America’s war on terror and armed despots are spinning their wheels.

The telephone poll, which surveyed 1003 adults on February 24-26, indicates that celebrities who speak out on political issues are more likely to have the action backfire on their own careers, than sway the public on the issue.

Along with the survey, USA Today has conducted an on-line survey where readers can leave their comments. That survey received 27,000 responses, with all but 600 saying that celebrities have no influence on political issues. A majority, 64 percent, said it was inappropriate for celebrities to publicly comment on a possible war with Iraq.

“Their profession is acting,” wrote Martie Carter, 45, from Fort Hood, Texas. “That does not make them any more qualified to comment on the war than I am. As a matter of fact, I think that I am more qualified. I am married to a soldier, live on an Army base and have a lot more at stake than they do if war does break out. They spend most of their adult lives pretending to be someone they are not.”

Bert Astrup, 40, of Houston, Texas, defended the celebrities' right to voice their opinions, but noted the greater than normal attention they receive.

“The difference is I don’t have the same access to the press,” he wrote. “I can’t just call CNN and say ‘I want a press conference.’ My guess as to why celebrities do it? Because they don’t have our current president’s ear.”

The anti-war outspokenness of celebrities like Susan Sarandon, Sean Penn, Sheryl Crow, Alec Baldwin and Martin Sheen has resulted in a growing backlash. Actor Sean Penn has filed a $10 million lawsuit alleging that he lost a potential movie role over his anti-war activism, and actor Martin Sheen, who plays the president on West Wing, has reportedly been cautioned by NBC network executives about his high profile statements and anti-war television ad. That caution came as ratings for the show plummeted, leading to speculation that Sheen’s character could be written out and replaced by a new commander in chief.

Concerns about the negative backlash have led the Screen Actors Guild to issue a statement saying that outspoken members should not be blacklisted.

“Some have recently suggested that well-known individuals who express ‘unacceptable’ views should be punished by losing their right to work,” the actors' union said in a statement posted March 3 on its website.

“Even a hint of the blacklist must never again be tolerated in this nation,” the statement added, referring to the 1950s blacklist of purported pro-Communist actors.

Entertainment executives have good reason to worry, given the popularity of two on-line petition drives aimed at countering celebrity anti-war pundits.

Famous people are “using their celebrity to interfere with the defense of our country,” says Lori Bardsley, a 38-year-old stay-at-home mom in Summerfield, North Carolina. The unlikely citizen activist created the “Citizens Against Celebrity Pundits” petition on ipetitions.com. So far, over 61, 000 people have signed on to say that Hollywood celebrities don’t speak for them.

Charlie Sykes and Jeff Wagner, two personalities on WTMJ News Radio in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, have also launched an on-line petition called “In Our Name,” which speaks words of support to our men and women in uniform. The effort was launched to counter the celebrity-studded “Not in Our Name” effort which decried the war on terror.

“Let there be no doubt in your minds as you embark on this mission that you carry the hopes, the prayers, and the gratitude of your country with you,” reads the letter, which will be sent to troops deployed in the Middle East.

“Every generation learns anew that freedom carries a steep price,” it continues. “You are paying that price with your courage and your commitment, no less than those who fought to liberate Europe, to defend freedom in Korea and Vietnam, and to combat aggression in Kuwait a decade ago.

“As our fathers and grandfathers fought against and defeated Nazism, fascism, and communism, our generation must confront terrorism. You have answered the call,” continues the letter, signed by over 30,000 people.

Maine Schools ‘Taunt’ Children of Deployed Service Members

As military action against Iraq becomes imminent, anti-war forces are pulling out all the stops in their protest efforts. Last week the Maine National Guard reported that it had received a dozen official complaints about children feeling upset or harassed by their school’s treatment of the looming war in Iraq. The incidents took place in the classroom and among fellow students, and were reported statewide. Incidents included teachers calling a possible war, and anyone who would fight it “unethical and immoral,” and one school's refusal to grant an excused absence to a student wanting to see off a deploying parent.

News of the incidents sparked outrage nationwide.

“Fire them!” said Gary Bauer, president of the Campaign for Working Families, in his end-of-day news alert. “Any teacher this insensitive and driven by leftist ideology should be removed from the classroom.” Bauer urged people to e-mail J. Duke Albanese, Maine's Commissioner of Education.

“This is child abuse pure and simple,” he wrote. “These poor kids are already wrestling with the absence of a mom or a dad and the fear that their parent could die in a far-off land. While their parents are protecting our nation, someone evidently has to protect their kids from the dues- paying members of the Maine Education Association.”

National Guard officials reported “over 30 complaints that name schools and individual principals, teachers and guidance counselors,” to The Washington Times. Most of the families decided to handle the situation with the school themselves rather than file an official complaint. The complaints, mostly involving elementary and middle schools, were fielded at the five National Guard Family Assistance Centers in the state.

In response, Albanese issued a memo on February 26 advising teachers and staff to “be more sensitive” to the children whose parents may face grave danger. He downplayed the incidents as isolated and relatively rare, but added that “the children that were affected are real children and these are sensitive times for these kids.” No further incidents have been reported since the memo was released.

continued

wrbones
03-16-03, 11:21 PM
Senior Guard Dribbles

Toni Smith has made news throughout the college basketball season by refusing to face or salute the flag during the pre-game National Anthem. The senior guard from Manhattanville College, an NCAA division III school in Purchase, New York, issued a 250-word public statement earlier in the season, which says in part:

For some time now, the inequalities that are embedded into the American system have bothered me. As they are becoming progressively worse and it is clear that the government’s priorities are not on bettering the quality of life for all its people, but rather on expanding its own power, I cannot, in good conscience, salute the flag.

Smith’s protests went largely unnoticed until February 11 when her school played a game at the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy (USMMA). There, about 300 flag-waving midshipmen greeted her with chants of “U-S-A.” Following half time of that game, about 50 USMMA freshmen stood opposite the Manhattanville bench. Each displayed a flag, and each remained standing throughout the second half.

“We were proud of the professionalism with which the midshipmen displayed their feelings, USMMA sports information director Kim McNulty told The Journal News of Westchester County, New York. “They did nothing to offend or make the game an unsafe atmosphere. They were expressing their opinion.”

The resulting media attention led to the release of a public statement by Manhattanville College President Richard A. Berman, who distanced the school from Smith's views while supporting her right to express them.

“It is irrelevant whether I, or anyone else, agree or disagree with Ms. Smith’s position,” he said in a statement posted on the college’s website. “Her right of expression is fundamental and we support her.”

But while the school supports her in principal, her actions have sparked a groundswell of reaction in the area affected by the September 11 terrorist attack. In response to Smith’s actions, her teammates have taken to wearing red, white and blue headbands.

Opposing teams have been more demonstrative, however. At a February 20 game against Mount St. Mary in Newburgh, New York, the Mount St. Mary student government association spent $100 for small U.S. flags, which they handed out prior to the game. Smith was jeered throughout the game, even when she was on the bench, and the crowd ended the game by singing “God Bless America.”

Even professional athletes have spoken out against Smith. From the club’s Port St. Lucie, Florida, training camp, Mets catcher Mike Piazza told The Journal News that while he supported her right to protest, he questioned her tactics.

“There’s a time and a place for everything,” Piazza said. “Her college is in New York, and after what happened to the city it’s not right to turn your back on the flag. She’s making a spectacle of herself and probably causing pain to some people who don’t need that. If you don’t like what’s going on, write your congressman. Don’t do something meaningless to draw attention to yourself.”

A recent survey by ESPN found that less than one in four of the 601 American adults surveyed support Smith’s protest.

Patriotic Americans Take To the Streets

Radio talk-show hosts have also drawn people to city streets nationwide. “Rally for America,” launched by national conservative talk-show host Glenn Beck, is an effort to show support for our nation and our military.

Beck’s rallies have gathered about 10,000 citizens in Houston, Texas, another 8,000 near San Antonio, Texas, and between 8,000 and 10,000 in Cleveland, Ohio.

Rallies have also been held in Oklahoma City, and Orlando and Melbourne, Florida. Further rallies are planned for Nebraska, Georgia, and South Carolina.

“My hope and prayer is that war will be averted,” Cleveland rally participant Mark Miloro told C&F Report. “But, whatever the outcome, those who serve our nation will have my enduring gratitude.”

“While the radicals create headlines, there is a tremendous reservoir in the country of decent men and women who love God and Country, who understand that liberty demands sacrifice, and who deeply appreciate the sacrifices so many have made to protect our freedoms,” concluded Bauer. “It is the ‘silent majority' that has kept our country free, that makes our free market economy work, and that has made America the world’s sole superpower.”

http://www.cwfa.org/articledisplay.asp?id=3463&department=CFI&categoryid=cfreport

wrbones
03-16-03, 11:35 PM
March 17, 2003

With Carl Limbacher and NewsMax.com Staff
For the story behind the story...

Monday, March 3, 2003

Media Ignore Patriotic Rallies That Draw Thousands

Though the media establishment has given loads of publicity to the appeasement activists, it is curiously negligent in reporting last weekend's patriotic rallies, which drew tens of thousands of people.

Type "rally for America" into the search engine of Yahoo News and this is what you get: "5,000 demonstrators curse America, Israel during Bahrain anti-war rally," "Tens of thousands condemn Bush in biggest anti-war rally seen in Egypt," etc. Not one word about the pro-U.S. demonstrations in our own country.

We tried finding pictures of the patriotic rallies at our photo services. Not one was offered, though of course there were plenty of pictures of the appeasement demonstrators. You'd think these companies would know a good pic when they see one, because the rally photos we saw posted at patriotic Web sites were dynamic and moving.

Do the national (and sometimes even local) media deem it insignificant that the Rally for America in snowy Cleveland drew 10,000 people, the Rally for America in Houston drew 10,000 people, the Rally for America in San Antonio drew 8,000 people, that thousands more patriots gathered in Oklahoma, Nashville, etc.?

If the media establishment deems these tens of thousands of patriots insignificant, why has it given so much positive attention to the ridiculous antics of a couple of hundred "human shields" in Iraq?

And when the mainstream media do a story on the pro-America rallies, they try to create a negative image. "Jackson Lee unfazed by jeers at rally," says the headline of the Houston Chronicle's coverage Sunday.

The Chronicle claims that "a raucous pro-war crowd" harassed leftist appeasement activist Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee. The poor dear was "drowned out by the crowd's chant of 'U.S.A.! U.S.A.! U.S.A.!' and 'Bush! Bush! Bush!'" and supposedly had to be escorted away by police for her protection.

However, Chris Baker of sponsor KPRC told NewsMax that he left with Jackson Lee and that she didn't need any police guard.

Update on More Rallies

Seattle area: Operation Support Our Troops has rallies every Saturday: March 8 at McChord Air Force Base, March 15 at Camp Murray/Fort Lewis, March 22 in Bellevue, Wash.

Atlanta: Rally for America at 1 p.m. March 15, Centennial Olympic Park.

Costa Mesa, Calif.: "Support America/Support Our Troops" noon to 2 p.m. March 15 at Bristol and Anton Boulevard, near South Coast Plaza. Sponsor: Orange County Young Republicans, "joined by military families, military veterans, College Republicans, Republican Women Federated groups, Young Republicans of America, Vietnamese Americans, Korean Americans, Americans for Freedom, the Free Republic, Freedom March, families, children and more. Participants are invited to bring their own American flag."

Philadelphia area: 1210 AM is sponsoring a Rally for America at 1 p.m. Sunday, March 16 at Freedoms Foundation at Valley Forge, on Route 23 just outside of Phoenixville.
From Pennsylvania Turnpike: Take Exit 24 (King of Prussia-Valley Forge). After toll booth, take the first immediate right exit, "Valley Forge National Historical Park.” Follow past the Valley Forge Convention Center and continue on Route 23 west through the historical park. About a mile past the next traffic light (Route 252), on your right at the top of the hill (where a large American flag is located), is the entrance to the Freedoms Foundation.

From I-95 and I-76: From I-95, take Route 676 West (Vine Street). This exit is near the Benjamin Franklin Bridge or Center City Philadelphia. Stay on Route 676, which turns into Route 76 West. Take this highway for about 18 miles until the West Chester exit (Route 202 South). Proceed on Route 202 South to the Devon exit. At light (Route 252), make a right. Proceed on Route 252 through the park until Route 23. At light, make a left. About one mile on your right at the top of the hill is the entrance to the Freedoms Foundation. If you need further directions, call Freedoms Foundation at 800-896-5488 or 610-933-8825.

San Francisco, Berkeley, Santa Rosa: A Support the Troops Family Day Rally, a flag-waving celebration and picnic, is planned in the plaza in front of San Francisco's City Hall the weekend of March 15-16. Conservative students at UC Berkeley (yes, there are some) plan a support-the-troops rally the day a war breaks out. Organizers in Santa Rosa also plan a pro-U.S. rally on the the day military conflict breaks out, the Contra Costa Times reported.

Fresno: A Rally for America to show support for President Bush and the troops is planned for noon Friday, March 21 at the Free Speech Area, Fresno State University. Scheduled speakers include Reps. George Radanovich and Devin Nunes, Assemblymen Bill Maze and Dave Cogdill, and the Rev. Gaylen Cantrell.

Charleston, S.C. on Saturday, March 22: See previous article for details.

Cedar Rapids, Iowa: Patriots are invited to rally at 2 p.m. March 22 on First Avenue in front of City Hall on Mays Island. For more information, see www.geocities.com/crpatriots or e-mail crpatriots@hotmail.com.

Provo and Salt Lake City: The Utah Coalition of the Willing is planning two events. From noon to 4 p.m. Saturday, March 29, meet in front of the new Provo Library on University Avenue.
Particpants encouraged to dress in patriotic clothing, bring flags and a donation of one or more of the following items (please tape personal note of appreciation to the item(s) you bring): A package of AA batteries (deployed soldiers can't get batteries for their personal radios to listen while off duty), an international calling card (so they can call home to their families), a paperback book (Orson-Scott-Card type novels seem to be very popular with the troops).

Second Event: Operation Yellow Ribbon, 2 p.m. Saturday, April 12 on the grounds of Utah's state Capitol. Please wear yellow. "The thousands of citizens, veterans and dignitaries who wish to reiterate 'Thank You' and 'We Are Here For You' will be at hand in a manner never yet attempted," the organizers say.

"Wearing the color yellow, thousands of people will form a 1-mile long, 10-foot wide human yellow ribbon around the Utah State Capitol Complex fo an aerial photo that will send a powerful and colorful message to our men and women overseas! In order for this effort to be successful, we need everyone's help! From the youngest of children to the eldest of adults, everyone is invited to join in the fun and historical event! Dedicating one Saturday afternoon to support our troops is one small effort that will make a huge difference for thosse who are prepared to give their all for our freedom and American way! We hope to start a wave of similar acts throughout the country!"

Barndog
03-17-03, 03:32 AM
And, so on it goes.

When the first round flies:

MY MARINE CORPS FLAG WILL BE ADORNED FROM MY TRUCK.

I pity the poor SOB's who try to be moronic, traitor arses in response to it.

May God have mercy on their souls.

Semper Fidelis, To the Corps

thedrifter
03-17-03, 07:30 AM
Posted on Mon, Mar. 17, 2003

Thousands show support for troops, President at rally

By Patrick Kerkstra and Dan Hardy
Inquirer Staff Writers

On the eve of a probable war in Iraq, Patty Mingey felt a need to show the nation's troops that she was behind them if and when they were forced to "lay their lives on the line."

So did thousands of others.

Mingey, a 41-year-old West Chester resident, was part of a large and raucous flag-waving crowd that gathered on the outskirts of Valley Forge National Park yesterday afternoon at a "Rally for America" - the latest in a series across the country meant to answer well-publicized antiwar demonstrations, including the candlelight vigils held around the world last night.

Mixing patriotism with some not-so-gentle goading (Martin Sheen and France were favorite targets), most rally participants said it was time for the country to listen to President Bush and get behind the call for war against Iraq.

"We gave peace a chance for over a decade, and it hasn't worked," said Tom Aro, 39, of Atlantic City.

Organizers were careful to avoid putting a "pro-war" label on the rally, and the emphasis certainly was on backing the troops. But most in the crowd clearly felt the time for diplomacy was over.

"Our defense [against terrorism] doesn't seem to be working and the second half is coming up," said Joe Zangara, a 32-year-old computer science graduate student from the Poconos. "I think we should go with an overwhelming offense."

The rally kicked off shortly after 1 p.m. with radio host Michael Smerconish playing a tongue-in-cheek auctioneer.

Among the fictitious items was a vintage French rifle in mint condition - available for just $1. Naturally it had never been fired, Smerconish said.

Turning serious, Smerconish touched on a theme echoed by many of the demonstrators.

"I don't know about you, but I've been frustrated every week turning on the television and seeing the [antiwar] protests," he said.

Saddam Husseinmight have chosen exile long ago had he not seen "a slice of America" protesting Bush, Smerconish said.

"Well, we're a slice of America right here. We're here to support our troops. We're thinking of them. We're praying for them," he said.

The concern that military morale might be hurt by antiwar protests motivated many demonstrators.

"Every time someone burns a flag or a politician in effigy, it hurts our troops. [By doing that] they're hugging Saddam Hussein," said David Christian, a 54-year-old from Bucks County, a highly decorated Vietnam veteran and a speaker at the rally.

Bad memories of that war, "when our troops were spit on," brought Theresa Gross out.

"We want to make sure nothing like that ever happens again," said the dental technician and resident of Harleysville, Montgomery County.

Only a handful of antiwar demonstrators showed up at the rally, including a pair of libertarians gamely passing out flyers critical of President Bush.

Gesturing at the hills of Valley Forge around him, James Babb said George Washington himself "would be the first to roll over in his grave" over war with Iraq.

"The Founding Fathers were about a non-interventionist foreign policy," said Babb, a 35-year-old resident of Norristown.

Passersby disagreed. One shoved his flyer back at Babb. Another called the libertarians "disgusting."

The pro-America rally was organized by Glenn Beck, a conservative syndicated talk-radio host based in Philadelphia.

Police said that hundreds and possibly thousands of would-be protesters likely never made it through the car-choked roads. Parking was limited to off-site locations and shuttle buses appeared overwhelmed with the volume of passengers.

Amid the marching throngs with their flags waving, Aro of Atlantic City said "this is a good place to get ready for war."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Contact Patrick Kerkstra at 610-313-8111 or pkerkstra@phillynews.com.

Sempers,

Roger

HollywoodMarine
05-05-06, 05:14 PM
Do you all still feel the same way 3 years later- as the Turkish troops are amassing on the borders of Iraq. How many Civil Wars can we fight at one time without the troop allocations needed?