PDA

View Full Version : Can I get some help with this pub question please?

motard
06-21-07, 07:58 AM
I am trying to find out wether or not a marine in uniform may wear headphones and listen to music (or whtever else one could use headphones for) while stationary. I know it is not allowed while pting. If u could cite the source preferably the mco it would be appreciated. semper fi! LCpl Motard

killerinstinct
06-21-07, 08:14 AM
while the MCO doesnt say it more than likely it could be a base order so youll have to check but ifyou are stationed in oki more than likely its true they have ridiculous rules never in my life had to tuck in a baseball jersey till i was there.

But ask any admin clerk the good oh rule will **** people off but show me in writing is a good thing to know

Marine84
06-21-07, 08:17 AM
I would be willing to bet my house - NO!

motard
06-21-07, 08:25 AM
thank you. its more of a "i want to know the official answer" more then anything else. do you know how to find base orders online? tommorow i can ask for a paper copy. LCpl Motard

if you aint ordnance you aint s***

motard
06-21-07, 08:27 AM
i would bet my barracks room that you are correct Marine84, but i want to see those words in the pub to prove it wrong, or possibly right; or is there no regulations on it?

Sgt Leprechaun
06-21-07, 09:20 AM
The answer would be "NO", because it is not a part of the official uniform. You probably won't find it in the regulations, just like you wont' find something in the regs about wearing a cowboy hat in dress blues, but you can't can't do that either.

Same situation applies.

drumcorpssnare
06-21-07, 09:35 AM
Sgt.Leprechaun- Well, if you can't wear a cowboy hat in Dress Blues, then 10thz and jet can't wear their tin-foil hats or propeller-beanies in Dress Blues either!

Hey, are there any regs on wearing "schrapnel" (pierceings) in Uniform? I just don't "get" the whole pierceing thing. However, I did tell a kid once, "If you REALLY want to make a statement, with your pierceing....get a custom-made, stainless steel safety-pin made, about five feet long. Run it up your a$$, and out the top of your head, and fasten it. NOW...you've made a statement!":D
drumcorpssnare:usmc:

Sgt Leprechaun
06-21-07, 09:40 AM
Perfect!

And, yeah, it's illegal to have any piercings, ANYwhere, for a male Marine. And, yes, I disc'd a kid for having his nipples pierced. (There were other issues ongoing but that was what he ended up going in front of the man about...)

davblay
06-21-07, 10:09 AM
That, and many opther, subects fall under COMMON SENSE! I guess they can't teach that at MCRD! It's one of those things you have or you don't! All you got to remember about WEARING anything is "IF THE CORPS WANTS YOU TO HAVE IT, THEY WILL ISSUE IT TO YOU"! Any of you older MArines know that is true, even for a mustach, If it ain't on your ID, you can't have one! I grew mine while on leave and then when I got back to base I reported loosing my ID, new picture, new ID, problem solved! :marine:

killerinstinct
06-21-07, 10:14 AM
yea you can find pubs and directives online depending on what your command is generally there will be a site you can look up all orders almars etc frmo the base and the higher cammands im willing to be its probably a base order they are generally the order who put no running with ear phones on make rules or exceptions about wearing a cover while driving a car etc stuff like that civie attire... try camp fosters website there might be some way to look up orders and stuff on there.

10thzodiac
06-21-07, 10:15 AM
Sgt.Leprechaun- Well, if you can't wear a cowboy hat in Dress Blues, then 10thz and jet can't wear their tin-foil hats or propeller-beanies in Dress Blues either!

Hey, are there any regs on wearing "schrapnel" (pierceings) in Uniform? I just don't "get" the whole pierceing thing. However, I did tell a kid once, "If you REALLY want to make a statement, with your pierceing....get a custom-made, stainless steel safety-pin made, about five feet long. Run it up your a$$, and out the top of your head, and fasten it. NOW...you've made a statement!":D

Never had dress blues, lost all desire for them my first day in the Marines.

BTW, you know, most young men join the Marines so they can wear dress blues, but in my time 1960 to 1965 I could count on two hands how many FMF Marines corporal and below that I knew in all three Marine divisions that had dress blues and still have fingers left over. Go figure why genius...

In my opinion, generally only lifers, reservist and band people wore them...

The average FMF Marines were to busy b!tching to be parading around with weekend warriors candy asses in dress blues.

killerinstinct
06-21-07, 10:17 AM
what base are you at foster or futenma?

drumcorpssnare
06-21-07, 10:44 AM
10thz- ...parading around with weekend warriors candyasses...?

Grow up, Richard!:evilgrin:

10thzodiac
06-21-07, 07:20 PM
Gotcha http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/tsmileys2/04.gif

rheinmark187
06-21-07, 07:56 PM
I've seen people in PT gear listening to music at the Hansen gym. Is this important? I thought the Marine Corps had bigger fish to fry. It seems like an issue for some rear echelon guy, who's reupped for okie a few times too many.

Quinbo
06-21-07, 09:01 PM
Never had dress blues, lost all desire for them my first day in the Marines.

BTW, you know, most young men join the Marines so they can wear dress blues, but in my time 1960 to 1965 I could count on two hands how many FMF Marines corporal and below that I knew in all three Marine divisions that had dress blues and still have fingers left over. Go figure why genius...

In my opinion, generally only lifers, reservist and band people wore them...

The average FMF Marines were to busy b!tching to be parading around with weekend warriors candy asses in dress blues.

I have a set of dress blues. It was important to me to have them after I got promoted to Corporal. When I got promoted to Sergeant (an experience you have never had) , I was able to scare up enough money to buy a sword. I was straight leg infantry. I considered myself a field Marine but did enjoy the MC ball strutting in blues. 10th you have talked about all the stuff you have done in the MC but never mentioned if you recieved a combat action ribbon.

Scoffing at someone wanting to wear a blood stripe or a sword is dispicable.

bootlace15
06-21-07, 09:40 PM
Drum take a swim in Onadoga lake and cool your tool.............

bootlace15 out

10thzodiac
06-21-07, 09:55 PM
I have a set of dress blues. It was important to me to have them after I got promoted to Corporal. When I got promoted to Sergeant (an experience you have never had) , I was able to scare up enough money to buy a sword. I was straight leg infantry. I considered myself a field Marine but did enjoy the MC ball strutting in blues. 10th you have talked about all the stuff you have done in the MC but never mentioned if you recieved a combat action ribbon.

Scoffing at someone wanting to wear a blood stripe or a sword is dispicable.

Since when is telling the truth scoffing ? I'm happy for you that you like dress blues. Like I said I could count on both hands and have fingers left over on how many Marines I knew Corporal and below in the 1st, 2nd and 3rd Marine Divisions 1960-65 that owned dress blues.

Sorry if that hurts your brain.

Quinbo
06-21-07, 10:12 PM
I guess a partial answer is better than none at all from you.

Quinbo
06-21-07, 10:27 PM
I guess I can't let this one go. REMF 10thz talks about because he never wore blues that anyone that has is a band member .... blahh blahh blahh. You have no pride.

10thzodiac
06-22-07, 09:11 AM
Touché, you really know how to make a guy feel bad he didn't step on a land mine !

I guess I have to suffer with these

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s143/10thzodiac/rack_17334059861371465358.jpg

SF

10thz (REMF) :D

drumcorpssnare
06-22-07, 12:51 PM
bootlace15- Hey genius...learn to spell. The lake is Onondaga, like the tribe. <br />
And per your PM to me, regarding my rank insignia on my profile... <br />
My profile, as it is, is sufficient for the...

OLE SARG
06-22-07, 03:25 PM
I was in the FMF and I proudly wore my dress blues in the 60's AND I DAMNED SURE WAS NOT A CANDY ASS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was not a lifer, a reservist, or in the ****ing band!!!!!!

SEMPER FI,

drumcorpssnare
06-22-07, 03:29 PM
OLE SARGE- Hey buddy...lighten-up on the band!:D

10thzodiac
06-22-07, 04:44 PM
I was in the FMF and I proudly wore my dress blues in the 60's AND I DAMNED SURE WAS NOT A CANDY ASS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was not a lifer, a reservist, or in the ****ing band!!!!!!

SEMPER FI,

I think I have two fingers left now, that is if you made E-6 under four and not the reserves ?
:D

ggyoung
06-22-07, 07:12 PM
People we are geting a little to personal here. Very few Marines that I know had dress blues in the time frame I was in. 1964-71. I still have mine and I'm happy to say that.

DevilDogHEMech
06-22-07, 07:53 PM
I'm still active duty, and own a set of dress blues. Haven't worn them since the ball in 2005 though, that seems to be about the only time most Marines wear them now unless they are on recruiting duty. The ball, weddings, and maybe a mess night if your unit has them. When else would I wear it, out on libo in Naha or Oceanside? Yeah right

bootlace15
06-22-07, 07:56 PM
drum,are you for real,looks like you made a mistake on your insignia in your profile pvt. are you for real dickweed? My spelling may not be as good as yours but that aint no private insignia. By...

10thzodiac
06-22-07, 08:32 PM
I'm still active duty, and own a set of dress blues. Haven't worn them since the ball in 2005 though, that seems to be about the only time most Marines wear them now unless they are on recruiting duty. The ball, weddings, and maybe a mess night if your unit has them. When else would I wear it, out on libo in Naha or Oceanside? Yeah right

Don't get me wrong, 90% of me joining the Marines was for that good looking uniform, the dress blues. I thought once I got that I could throw rocks at the girls and they would stand in line just to get hit, LOL.

It is just ironic the way things turned out and I was far from being the only one never having or wearing dress blues.

I never seen dress blues being worn much during 1960-1965 by anybody.

My last outfit in Lejeune, Service Battalion on a weekend a slick sleeved private not from our outfit walked through our barracks in his dress blues. I recall one of the junior ******* corporals I was having trouble with razing this private, calling him a f*cking boot and telling him to get the f*ck out here and throwing a boot at him.

In my 5 years I never seen any Marines from my outfit ever in dress blues in all three divisions, except the honor man in boot camp.

It's a good looking uniform ! Too bad it's not standard issue, might help re-enlistment and getting lucky http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/tsmileys2/04.gif

SF

10thz

davecerami275
06-22-07, 08:59 PM
pub question,,,,, dam i thought this was a thread about bars and strip clubs

10thzodiac
06-23-07, 08:01 AM
Blogging (thinking out loud) why we do what we do.

A Marine that I spent my first two years with in the Marine Corps, a fellow Chicagoan always said, "we do what we do, so we can F*ck.

Besides the dress blues looking good, wasn't it to impress the girls primarily first, then everything else after that ? I know it was in my case.

How many Marines went to Valhalla because of dress blues and girls ?

I hope they all got lucky before going !

Some thoughts:

“Show me a hero and I will write you a tragedy.” ~ Francis Scott Key Fitzgerald

“Nature abhors a hero....how can it be the survival of the fittest when the fittest keeps putting himself in situations where he is most likely to get creamed?” ~ Solomon Short

redneck13
06-23-07, 08:11 AM
:evilgrin: "US OLDER MARINES", we didn't have these new fancy smancy contraptions i.e. ipods, walkman's, etc. So, I always learned that in whatever situation that came about, was to "improvise-adapt-overcome." If you think long and hard about this, it'll set you on the right path, and what, what not, to do. Now carry on your worm destined Maggots.

Old Marine
06-23-07, 08:53 AM
If you want to listen to music while you are in uniform then you can always tell the Company Gunny you want to be in all parades that he can locate.

Otherwise, put the ipod where the sun dont shine when you are in uniform.

OLE SARG
06-23-07, 10:15 AM
:thumbup: I'm with Old Marine on this one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SEMPER FI,

motard
06-24-07, 02:52 AM
let me specify some more of the circumstances. i was in camies on phone watch before work had even started (first one at the shop gets to watch the phones) if that makes a diffence... LCpl motard

Old Marine
06-24-07, 10:01 AM
let me specify some more of the circumstances. i was in camies on phone watch before work had even started (first one at the shop gets to watch the phones) if that makes a diffence... LCpl motard

Let me clairfy something. You need to man up and be a Marine. If you want to have an ipod handing off you ears you should have stayed in the unorganized world of civilians. I do not know what the regs say about ipods handing from Marines ears, but to me it is the same as smoking in uniform or chewing gum in uniform and in my Marine Corps it should be a no-no.

I rest my case.

motard
07-07-07, 09:25 AM
old marine, ican understand what u r saying, but ive been told that u can smoke and chew gm in uniform, as long as ur stationary; but those rues, lkke this one i am researching, r depended on the highest raking person in the vicinity telling u what to do. as we can all aagree r not supposed to chew gum and walk or smoke and walk, but is there a reg written downforthese things? wether to do the or not is not what my outcome is gears towards. it is the search for solid concrete directives and knowledge of how to find answers for hard to answer questions. if i get promoted to sgt and have a pfc ask me if i can show him the regulation, i want to be able to say "give me a few minutes to pull it up... here is the order i am qouting" instead of "im a sgt do what i tell u" one way teaches obediance to orders, the other teaches knowledge and learning; i have me belief on which one makes a better marine. but they must both be combined.

im sorry if i have offended any1 for not just listening to what the first person said of not to do it, it just was ot the nswer i was looking for, as i wasnt intending to ask that question; my apologies

-motard

Phantom Blooper
07-07-07, 09:29 AM
I don't mean to offend you either but this not a chat room. You want to chat go to chat. Evidently you are literate enough to be in the Marine Corps...so act like it. :evilgrin:

BOOGIEMAN44
07-07-07, 11:38 AM
just like you wont' find something in the regs about wearing a cowboy hat in dress blues, but you can't can't do that either.

BEEN THERE... DONE THAT... WOULD NOT RECOMMEND YOU TRY THAT, EVER!! :banana:

ggyoung
07-08-07, 11:25 AM
You can ride a horse in dress blues.

hrscowboy
07-08-07, 04:35 PM
let me catch you with crap in your ears while wearing my Marine Corps dress blues trust me when i am done you wont be in My Marine Corps for Long cause they will have to do surgery to get the headphones out of your ears and my size 13 boot out of your arse...

motard
08-18-07, 12:45 AM
in reference to the cowboy hat- in MCO 1020.34 and 1020.28 it indirectly says no. im looking for the mco that directly or indirectly says no. like they now have the order thats says what kind of bags a Marine could wear while in cammies. I have seen two Master Sgts give directly confilcting orders on that subject. And i was caught in the middle. Its times like those i want to be able to have written orders that we can all follow. Not just what someone told me. if a MCO says its not allowed at all, but then in 3 months its says u can only if ur left foot is tounching ur right eye; i want to know that so i can corret those who arent up to date, especially if its me that needs to be updated.

TazMatt
08-18-07, 02:05 AM
Motard Just do as you were told to do and there won't be a problem.You should know by now that this isn't the perfect world all you have to do is follow orders and you will survive.

crate78
08-18-07, 10:41 AM
I had (and still have) dress blues, and I can recall wearing them three times.

Once to a formal civilian social affair in Memphis, and twice when I was TAD to an Army base near Albuquerque, NM. There was a big affair of some sort at one of the high schools in Albuquerque, and they wanted a multi-service honor guard. I was the only Marine with dress blues on tap on short notice so I did it for them.

The other time in Albuquerque, they weren't going to let me in a high class night club because I wasn't wearing a tie. I bet the Manager $20 I could come back attired without a tie, but attired so that he would have to let me in anyway. Of course, he hadn't a clue what I was talking about and took the bet. An hour later, I returned wearing my dress blues.

The guy was OK. He not only doubled the bet and gave me $40, he bought my first drink.

crate

Alphaonethree
08-18-07, 11:15 AM
Sitting on a bus or plane you should be ok in uniform. pT on your time running on base streets ok. PTon duty dont even try it.

sparkie
08-18-07, 11:32 AM
I had (and still have) dress blues, and I can recall wearing them three times.

Once to a formal civilian social affair in Memphis, and twice when I was TAD to an Army base near Albuquerque, NM. There was a big affair of some sort at one of the high schools in Albuquerque, and they wanted a multi-service honor guard. I was the only Marine with dress blues on tap on short notice so I did it for them.

The other time in Albuquerque, they weren't going to let me in a high class night club because I wasn't wearing a tie. I bet the Manager $20 I could come back attired without a tie, but attired so that he would have to let me in anyway. Of course, he hadn't a clue what I was talking about and took the bet. An hour later, I returned wearing my dress blues.

The guy was OK. He not only doubled the bet and gave me $40, he bought my first drink.

crate

Love that, Crate. But it has to show folks SOMETHING. Our uniform means something,,,,,, Don't screw it up with gum,i-pod or whatever. Make a mess in your civvies, not in my uniform.

Sgt Leprechaun
08-20-07, 07:10 AM
Actually, it's illegal on most posts to run PT on a road wearing headphones. DoD regs. Also illegal to drive on post while talking on a cell phone. Also DoD regs.

If I EVER saw someone wearing headphones with blues they would be looking for new headphones!

gwladgarwr
08-20-07, 09:53 AM
LCpl:

If your instincts are telling you that headphones/earphones somehow feel wrong, then you're probably right. You know the solution or the answer to things much more often than you realize. If you have to ask, you already have doubts as to whether prancing along with an 80GB iPod and earphones while in cammies virtually violates the UMCJ) or in blues (Chesty turns in his grave) is wrong.

Yes, it is wrong.

If it fees/seems wrong, then it probably is wrong. Better to err on the side of caution. It's just common sense anyway.

Why would you want to ditty-bop along with earphones while in blues or cammies anyway?

PTing out on the road with earphones is a safety hazard. This is just common sense, too. You may not hear the car that's about to run you down from behind (or the other runners around you in a marathon - a big pet peeve of mine - don't wear your earphones in the Marine Corps Marathon!!!!!!!)

Earphone on in the gym in PT gear is not against regs, but it just doesn't feel safe. Wouldn't want the musclehead to drop a 45-lb plate on your grape and not hear the 'head's up'.

Sgt gw:flag:

Tegan
08-20-07, 11:05 AM
I have somewhat of an answer..
MCO 5100.19E
MARINE CORPS TRAFFIC SAFETY PROGRAM (DRIVESAFE)
ENCLOSURE (2) 11 (28 of 32)

g. The wearing of portable headphones, earphones, or other
listening devices while operating a motor vehicle or while jogging,
walking, skating, skateboarding or bicycling on roads and streets on
Marine Corps installations is prohibited. The use of these devices
masks or prevents recognition of emergency signals, alarms,
announcements, the approach of vehicles, human speech and the ability
to determine the direction from which the sound is coming. This
prohibition does not apply to hearing aids nor does it negate the
requirement for wearing hearing protective equipment where conditions
dictate their use or the use of communications type equipment for
official Marine Corps business.

Sgt Leprechaun
08-20-07, 11:17 AM
Bingo. In other words, if you are jogging/running down the road in Tarawa Terrace or some such, an MP can stop you and issue you a 1408, which will go to your CO. You'll make the blotter as well.

Not something you really want...so don't do it.