PDA

View Full Version : How To Fool The Media

thedrifter
06-21-07, 07:00 AM
How To Fool The Media <br />
Strategy page <br />
<br />
June 21, 2007: Recent developments in the Haditha case (marines accused of murdering civilians in Iraq) not only show how easily the media can get things...

Sgt Leprechaun
06-21-07, 09:15 AM
The media is easily fooled these days because, quite simply, most in the press are pre-disposed to report the 'bad' when it comes to either fighting force.

Darn good article. And yeah, I'm for censorship of the media in theatre. You better believe it.

jinelson
06-21-07, 09:39 AM
I like the way you think and opin. Good post.

Jim

Sgt Leprechaun
06-21-07, 09:46 AM
Thanks! Much appreciated.

Along this same line (about the media) here's a bit from today, about Bloomberg:

OpinionJournal.com's James Taranto on Wednesday proposed that New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg is the preferred presidential "candidate of the media, ideologically as well as professionally," a supposition demonstrated by media excitement over his separation from the Republican Party in preparation for a possible independent bid. "The presidential race just got a whole lot more interesting," gushed Today co-host Meredith Vieira in plugging Wednesday's top story while, on CBS, Early Show co-host Harry Smith excitedly relayed how "we want to get right to our top story, and that's a bombshell from New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg." On ABC's Good Morning America, Diane Sawyer enthused about how "the hugely popular Mayor of New York City ditches the Republican label and declares independence, asking if other Americans are ready for a change." Robin Roberts insisted that "many are asking now whether he is destined to be a contender." An on-screen graphic on ABC's World News asked "Will He Run?"
But the CBS Evening News was the most promotional. Katie Couric highlighted how a poll "found more than one out of three Democratic primary voters and more than half of Republicans want more choices. So how about an independent? Today a certain Mayor of New York was the talk of the town and a lot of the country." More likely, the talk of America's newsrooms.

A second bit also shows what our troops are up against....

"Just one day after an independent report accused the British Broadcasting Company of having a, quote, 'culture of bias,' the BBC's Web site carried a request for people in Iraq to report troop movements to the network," FNC's Brit Hume reported in his Wednesday "Grapevine" segment in citing a story in London's Daily Telegraph. Another story this week in that newspaper began: "The BBC is operating in a 'left-leaning comfort zone' and has an 'innate liberal bias' according to a report commissioned by the corporation."

But...the media aren't biased, don't ya know? Oh, wait, except for Fox news, that is. Truth be told, I don't watch alot of any of it, but when I want National news, I'll watch Fox over any of the others.

Oh, the clips above are from the Media Research Center.

jetdawgg
06-21-07, 09:47 AM
http://static.crooksandliars.com/2007/06/oreilly-bears.jpg Since O’Reilly likes to complain that NBC gets all “jazzed” up (http://www.crooksandliars.com/2007/06/20/bill-oreilly-nbc-jazzed-about-dead-afghan-children/) over reporting Afghani children war casualties, Keith highlights all the Super Serious stuff BillO opts to cover instead of the most pressing issues this country faces — namely, Burt Reynolds’ illustrious career, bears and the most recent Playboy centerfold. Colbert would be very proud, Bill.

http://www.crooksandliars.com/2007/06/20/olbermann-mocks-oreillys-serious-reporting/

HOLM
06-21-07, 09:59 AM
"The pattern of donations, with nearly nine out of 10 (JOURNALISTS) giving to Democratic candidates and causes, appears to confirm a leftward tilt in newsrooms — at least among the donors, who are a tiny fraction of the roughly 100,000 staffers in newsrooms across the nation."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19113485

Sgt Leprechaun
06-21-07, 10:14 AM
But, HOLM, that is no evidence of bias my friend. None whatsoever. Nada. :)

Honestly, I don't care if a network is biased. I really don't. Just tell me beforehand instead of all this "unbiased blahblahblah" crap from the liberal media. Fox says "Fair and balanced", yeah right.

But, I think they are more fair and balanced than most of the other so called 'media outlets' are.

Why 'we' seem to believe in this goofy "unbiased" journalism garbage is a mystery to me. Newspapers were ALWAYS slanted to one party or another, until the 1960's at least.

People bought the paper based on political affailation. Just the way it was, and no one thought anything of it.

jetdawgg
06-21-07, 10:17 AM
Conservative-leaning journalists tended to greater generosity. Ann Stewart Banker, a producer for Bill O'Reilly at Fox News Channel, gave $5,000 to Republicans. Financial columnist Liz Peek at The New York Sun gave $90,000 to the Grand Old Party.

Once again your extremist slant on things. Another failure is that here the focus is not clearly mentioning that the MSM is owned by a few private corporations like GE (NBC) and Murdoch (FOX) who are not 'left' leaning.

GE is a defense contractor and FOX is a right wing propagandizer whose antics have been dispalyed here by me and others several times.

DOW Jones does not want FOX to own them due to that type of mis reporting they do.

jetdawgg
06-21-07, 10:19 AM
But, HOLM, that is no evidence of bias my friend. None whatsoever. Nada. :)

Honestly, I don't care if a network is biased. I really don't. Just tell me beforehand instead of all this "unbiased blahblahblah" crap from the liberal media. Fox says "Fair and balanced", yeah right.

But, I think they are more fair and balanced than most of the other so called 'media outlets' are.

Why 'we' seem to believe in this goofy "unbiased" journalism garbage is a mystery to me. Newspapers were ALWAYS slanted to one party or another, until the 1960's at least.

People bought the paper based on political affailation. Just the way it was, and no one thought anything of it.

SGT Lep, there are several instances on this site where FOX has clearly been identified as 'unfair' and 'unbalanced'

Sgt Leprechaun
06-21-07, 10:22 AM
And, that absolves the many, many times that the so called "Mainstream" media has been so labeled? I could show countless examples of that that occur on a near daily basis.

jetdawgg
06-21-07, 10:26 AM
In a recent study that I presented here, FOX was shown to report about Anna Nicole Smith more than they did on the War in Iraq.

Now which one has more relevance?

The media is not 'liberal'. It is just not as extreme as FOX

HOLM
06-21-07, 02:19 PM
I am with you Lep... I don't care how left or right any part of the media is...

Just run your flag up the pole and claim it.. The NEWS.. is done by human beings.. as such is is immpossible to be "unbasised"

The Fox news group that does the tidbits around here reported the DOW like this, this morning..

" The DOW is up a MEGER 4 points after a HUGE drop yesterday"

and there is always some stupid explination when the numbers goes down... but when it goes up they mention the number and quickly move on to other things... AND NEVER it is ever put in the context of just how high or low the trend in the DOW has been over anytime period other than the last hour or so of trading... This was not the case FROM WHAT I REMEMBER about the reporting during the CLinton ADmin.. I don't claim to know a whole lot about how that stuff gets reported...

and maybe I am being a little crazy..

but it sure smells funny from where I am sitting...

drumcorpssnare
06-21-07, 02:54 PM
I was channel surfing yesterday, during the timeslot for the evening news, which here in Syracuse is between 5 & 7 pm. And I happened on a story about the absolute success story in the Kurdish area of northern Iraq. No terrorist attacks or IED's. American troops hailed as heroes and treated with true respect. An economy that's flourishing...
And it dawned on me...why isn't the mainstream media (ABC, CBS, NBC, etc.) reporting this?
Simple. They don't want America to know that there ARE success stories in Iraq. They want you and I to believe that all is doom & gloom over there...nothing at all but utter failure.
They must think we're stoopid.:D
drumcorpssnare:usmc:

jetdawgg
06-21-07, 02:58 PM
The Military gets the highest ratings in the poll that HOLM presented on the other thread. Americans know that the American War Machine is successful.

It is the other parts of the gov't that people are sick of. No sane Foreign Policy, No Clear Plan in Iraq, Unemployment up (see today's rate), Human Rights Down (GTMO), Peace is shakier than ever (Iran).....

drumcorpssnare
06-21-07, 03:16 PM
And ya know Jet, the funny thing is...the Dems don't have any plans that even begin to sound like they make any sense.

"We don't want to fund the war, but we support the troops."

"We need to get out of Iraq immediately, but we don't want Iraq to collapse into complete and utter chaos. (At least when we're in the White House)

"Immigrants are not a problem in America. They are welcome here." (The Dems don't like to call them what they are- illegal aliens. It might offend someone.)

"I voted FOR it, before I voted AGAINST it"

etc.
drumcorpssnare:usmc:

jetdawgg
06-21-07, 03:22 PM
http://static.flickr.com/81/280175864_5daa972730_o.jpg

At least it was credible....

003XXMarineDAD
06-21-07, 03:42 PM
Why didn't they just do this?
<HR style="COLOR: #ccccff" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->http://static.flickr.com/81/280175864_5daa972730_o.jpg

At least it was credible....
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

# 3. should be on there , add more earmarks.
:D