PDA

View Full Version : Marines based in Japan, Okinawa get new leader

thedrifter
06-21-07, 06:37 AM
Marines based in Japan, Okinawa get new leader

By Cindy Fisher, Stars and Stripes
Pacific edition, Friday, June 22, 2007

CAMP FOSTER, Okinawa — Marines in Japan are under new leadership after a change-of-command ceremony here Wednesday evening.

Lt. Gen. Joseph F. Weber turned over command of III Marine Expeditionary Force, Marine Corps Bases Japan and Marine Forces Japan to Lt. Gen. Richard C. Zilmer.

Marine Corps Bases Japan and Marine Forces Japan include Marine units on Okinawa as well as Marine Corps Air Station Iwakuni and Camp Fuji on mainland Japan.

In the ceremony at the Camp Foster parade field, Weber thanked assembled troops from III MEF, 3rd Marine Division, 1st Marine Aircraft Wing, 3rd Marine Logistics Group, 31st Marine Expeditionary Unit and Marine Corps Base Camp Butler for their dedication and sacrifice over the last two years.

In that time, III MEF deployed more than 8,000 Marines to Iraq and Afghanistan, participated in 180 exercises and operations in 18 countries and provided assistance in the aftermath of mudslides, earthquakes and other natural disasters throughout the Asian Pacific.

“Everything the MEF has accomplished has been on the shoulders and backs of the Marines and sailors (MEF officers) have led,” Weber said. “This MEF is ready to go to hell and back. You just tell them when.”

He assured the formation that Zilmer “is a great commanding general and you are in excellent hands.”

Zilmer just returned from Iraq’s Anbar province, where he was the I Marine Expeditionary Force (Forward) commander from February 2006 to February 2007.

Weber is slated to lead Marine Forces Command, based at Naval Station Norfolk, Va.

Zilmer, who was promoted to his present rank at Camp Courtney on Wednesday morning by visiting Army Gen. B.B. Bell, the U.S. Forces Korea commander, told the formation that his first duty station was with 3rd Battalion, 4th Marines, based at Camp Hansen in 1975.

He described that tour as a challenging time during which his unit deployed to Vietnam to help withdraw U.S. forces there.

Now, 32 years later, duty on Japan is still exciting and demanding, he said.

“I look forward to the challenges to come in the days and months ahead and I challenge you to think smart and think big to meet those challenges.

Ellie