PDA

View Full Version : statute of limitations on ASVAB/Recon Indoc?

rheinmark187
06-20-07, 07:44 PM
For lack of a better term, is there a time frame for either of these? I took my ASVAB as a half asleep sophomore in High School. I had no Idea at the time that I would join the military, so I might be able to do better now. I took the Indoc administered by HQ pltn 3rd Recon Battalion in may of 2003. It was part of the prescreening for MCIWS. I am very interested in going back in as a reservist, and then as active duty when I finish my degree. If I had to take these all over again, I wouldn't mind, but if I don't have to that's alright.

JCam0331
06-20-07, 10:10 PM
For lack of a better term, is there a time frame for either of these? I took my ASVAB as a half asleep sophomore in High School. I had no Idea at the time that I would join the military, so I might be able to do better now. I took the Indoc administered by HQ pltn 3rd Recon Battalion in may of 2003. It was part of the prescreening for MCIWS. I am very interested in going back in as a reservist, and then as active duty when I finish my degree. If I had to take these all over again, I wouldn't mind, but if I don't have to that's alright.

If you're getting your degree,why not pursue a commission?

Quinbo
06-20-07, 10:58 PM
As far as I know the Asvab is good to go unless you are entering a MCEP program, then you would have to retake it. Did you graduate MCIWS? Not sure if it will make a difference if you did but the attrition rate at that school is so great I had to ask. Unless you were accepted into a force unit you would most likely have to take the full indoc again.

Sgt Leprechaun
06-21-07, 05:44 AM
You can always re-take the ASVAB if you want, and if your prior score isn't that great, then I'd highly advise doing so. Get one of the study guides and crack the books to help you out. Not sure on the rest of it, but I know you can re-take that.

My guess is you'll have to do indoc over again, unless you already passed MCIWS.

rheinmark187
06-21-07, 07:32 PM
If you're getting your degree,why not pursue a commission?

I'd like to be an 0210 Warrant Officer. That would be my biggest goal in the Military. :iwo:

rheinmark187
06-21-07, 07:38 PM
yes the MCIWS school was VERY difficult. I was one of a handful of pog's at the class and it was a real eye opener for me! I got a lot of pride out of the training because I hung in there. Most of the people who started the class (87 plus a number of reservists from 25th Marines) didn't fail, they D0R'd.

JCam0331
06-21-07, 10:06 PM
I'd like to be an 0210 Warrant Officer. That would be my biggest goal in the Military. :iwo:

Nice, I'm shooting for 0302 Infantry Officer

I don't understand with being an 0210 (counter intelligence)...whats that got to do with Force Reconnaisance?

I'm confused

Semper Fi

sgt tony
06-21-07, 10:33 PM
Good luck on becoming a Warrant Officer when I was in me and 3 of my buddy's was interviewed to go and we all turn it down all but 1 and when he came back he said that it was one of the hardest things he had ever done and it cost him out the a@@ on uniforms and all the extras. I had and still do a great respect for anyone that makes it. Best of luck and stay smart.

rheinmark187
06-23-07, 03:13 PM
Nice, I'm shooting for 0302 Infantry Officer

I don't understand with being an 0210 (counter intelligence)...whats that got to do with Force Reconnaisance?

I'm confused

Semper Fi

in case there's a spot available in the MSOB all source cell. I would like to give it a shot. That indoc I took was a recon battalion indoc, not a force recon one. I believe it's a lot easier, and it didn't include a real infantry knowledge test. That's supposed to be part of the old Force Recon indoc.
From what I've read, they want every Marine who's going to be working in the actual MSOB to be able to pass their indoc.
This is all way down the road and pipe dreaming anyway, I've gotta get the MOS 0211 first!

Sgt Leprechaun
06-25-07, 05:11 AM
Very true. I'm sure you are aware that CI is a 'latmove only' field, one of the few left in the Corps these days. Plan to be deployed....ALOT the first few years in it. Are you on AD now?

Quinbo
06-25-07, 08:51 AM
Times sure have changed. As I recall MCIWS or MCIWSS used to not have a DOR option. Either you made it or you didn't.

JCam0331
06-25-07, 09:23 AM
Times sure have changed. As I recall MCIWS or MCIWSS used to not have a DOR option. Either you made it or you didn't.

Can someone explain these acronyms to me?

MCIWS??

Quinbo
06-25-07, 09:44 AM
I took the indoc 3 times and 3 times went home with more knowlege but not a school seat. Hopefully Reinmark knows what the acronym stands for.

rheinmark187
06-25-07, 08:07 PM
It's MCIWS -Marine Combat Instructor-Water Survival.

Well as I remember it. We didn't start the actual MCIWS until the "work up"
which is where most of the Drops occured. We started with the set number, then as people failed to qualify through WSQ, we dropped a few people. The vast majority of Marines in the "work up" phase passed. We lost most of the class due to people dropping out.

Dropping Marines would usually show up in the morning, say "I'm going back to my unit" and that would be pretty much it. There was no adverse paper work, the instructors just chalked you back to your unit. The instructors didn't give anyone any problems about quitting, they felt it made teaching that much easier. A smaller group means increases the "face time" with each student, thus increasing their chance to pass.

rheinmark187
06-25-07, 08:33 PM
Very true. I'm sure you are aware that CI is a 'latmove only' field, one of the few left in the Corps these days. Plan to be deployed....ALOT the first few years in it. Are you on AD now?

Yeah it's very high deployment, as per the words of a certain 0210 " None of us are married, our Barracks rooms are empty, and it's a spartan existence. You have to want it more than anything else". Unfortunately I'm not AD now, but I'll be jumping through hoops to get back in as a reservist in order to get to 0211. If I can't do that, I have other options.
We have but one life, and I don't want to end it as a wannabe!

JCam0331
06-25-07, 10:56 PM
It's MCIWS -Marine Combat Instructor-Water Survival.

Well as I remember it. We didn't start the actual MCIWS until the "work up"
which is where most of the Drops occured. We started with the set number, then as people failed to qualify through WSQ, we dropped a few people. The vast majority of Marines in the "work up" phase passed. We lost most of the class due to people dropping out.

Dropping Marines would usually show up in the morning, say "I'm going back to my unit" and that would be pretty much it. There was no adverse paper work, the instructors just chalked you back to your unit. The instructors didn't give anyone any problems about quitting, they felt it made teaching that much easier. A smaller group means increases the "face time" with each student, thus increasing their chance to pass.

hmmm thats definitely a course I would want to attend after I achieve my goal of becoming an 0302

I'm a First Class Swimmer as of right now though

JCam0331
06-25-07, 11:04 PM
Oh yeah, rheinmark -

if you have to jump through so many hoops to become a Warrant Officer in CI, why don't you just directly pursue a commission instead?

Assuming you have your degree - go through OCC: 10 weeks of OCS, 6 months of TBS then its a done deal.

Surely there are plenty of CI slots as a commissioned officer?

http://usmilitary.about.com/library/milinfo/marineofficerjobs/bl0204.htm

Sgt Leprechaun
06-26-07, 06:16 AM
Because, Cam, you don't get to pick your MOS as an officer.

CI officers are almost always directly recruited from other operators. The gene pool is extremely small compared to other MOS's, and until just very recently, the only CI officers per se, were mustangs. That has changed now, but it's an extremely difficult MOS to get into.

My suggestion is do the lat move thing and go from there. Not only will you actually get to do real stuff, it will give you credibility in the long term.

Sgt Leprechaun
06-26-07, 06:20 AM
Yeah it's very high deployment, as per the words of a certain 0210 " None of us are married, our Barracks rooms are empty, and it's a spartan existence. You have to want it more than anything else". Unfortunately I'm not AD now, but I'll be jumping through hoops to get back in as a reservist in order to get to 0211. If I can't do that, I have other options.
We have but one life, and I don't want to end it as a wannabe!

Well said, and very true. When I was looking into that as a lat move from 0231, I was told the same thing. The average deployment time (pre 9/11 mind you) was something like 256 days a year.

Talk to the guys in the MOS, they will steer you in the right direction and tell you what you need to do to get there.

It's a very, very, high speed MOS.

rheinmark187
06-26-07, 04:11 PM
Oh yeah, rheinmark -

if you have to jump through so many hoops to become a Warrant Officer in CI, why don't you just directly pursue a commission instead?

Assuming you have your degree - go through OCC: 10 weeks of OCS, 6 months of TBS then its a done deal.

Surely there are plenty of CI slots as a commissioned officer?

http://usmilitary.about.com/library/milinfo/marineofficerjobs/bl0204.htm

I'll jump through because I want to. 0201 will have me doing a lot of deskwork. Besides I've got a few military officers in my family, and It's not for me. The CI field is enlisted oriented, if I wanted to that kind of work as an Officer, I'd go Civil Affairs.

Sgt Leprechaun
06-26-07, 04:28 PM
Good on ya. Go the latmove enlisted route. You'll learn more and have more fun.

JCam0331
06-26-07, 07:48 PM
Because, Cam, you don't get to pick your MOS as an officer.

CI officers are almost always directly recruited from other operators. The gene pool is extremely small compared to other MOS's, and until just very recently, the only CI officers per se, were mustangs. That has changed now, but it's an extremely difficult MOS to get into.

My suggestion is do the lat move thing and go from there. Not only will you actually get to do real stuff, it will give you credibility in the long term.

Yes you can...BECOME THE HONOR GRAD AT TBS !!!

lol yeah I forgot about that. Thanks for the reminder lol (hopefully they let me become an 0302 someday and not some Motor T Officer or Supply Officer...)

Sgt Leprechaun
06-26-07, 08:53 PM
Exactly. The Corps works in weird ways. A good friend of mine, Mustang, who was prior 0231 with a degree from UGIP, Intell all the way, right?

Wrong. Now an "Air officer" or some such. Has nothing to do with Intel.

Go figure.

JCam0331
06-26-07, 08:56 PM
Exactly. The Corps works in weird ways. A good friend of mine, Mustang, who was prior 0231 with a degree from UGIP, Intell all the way, right?

Wrong. Now an "Air officer" or some such. Has nothing to do with Intel.

Go figure.

thats so lame

if I end up being a supply officer or an adjutant, the Corps can have my 3.5 years of faithful and bitter service lol

Sgt Leprechaun
06-26-07, 09:00 PM
Ha! Adjutant probably wouldn't be so bad. You'd get to do alot of different things, and maybe even tote a rifle once in awhile.

Just remember, tho, "They also serve, who stand and wait". My friend as been to the sandbox twice and picked up a CAR for her trouble.

JCam0331
06-26-07, 09:19 PM
Ha! Adjutant probably wouldn't be so bad. You'd get to do alot of different things, and maybe even tote a rifle once in awhile.

Just remember, tho, "They also serve, who stand and wait". My friend as been to the sandbox twice and picked up a CAR for her trouble.

tote a rifle once in a while?

good grief

lol I want my own RIFLE PLATOON !!

Sgt Leprechaun
06-26-07, 09:19 PM
LOL. You take what you can get.

The good news is you know what it will take to get there.

JCam0331
06-26-07, 09:21 PM
LOL. You take what you can get.

The good news is you know what it will take to get there.

yeah I figure IF make it through OCS and TBS...if I put combat arms in my top 5 they won't give me some crap like Supply

Sgt Leprechaun
06-26-07, 09:24 PM
Still.......don't bank on that...I sure wouldn't.

That is not to say you won't get it....but still..... LOL.....this is the Corps we are talking about...

JCam0331
06-26-07, 09:25 PM
Still.......don't bank on that...I sure wouldn't.

That is not to say you won't get it....but still..... LOL.....this is the Corps we are talking about...

lol true...