PDA

View Full Version : A late BDay for all of the "DOC'S"

booksbenji
06-20-07, 04:49 PM
June 17th is the 109th Birthday of the Hospital Corps.

On behalf of our brother and sister Corpsmen who never made it home I think I can speak for all of them and say how Proud we all are to ahve served with the greatest warriors in the world. We are Navy but our hearts are with our beloved Marine CorpsAnd on this day lets give a toast.

Remember the traditions written in the deeds of HA Bob Bush, on Okinawa, Pharmacist Mate Joe Marquez Navy Cross on Peleliu, HN John Kilmer, & HM3 William Charette, in Korea, HM3 Don Ballard, and Hm3 Robert Ingram in Nam, all Medal of Honor recipients.

Remember the corpsmen who risked their lives to save their Marines at places like Belleau Woods, Guadalcanal, Iwo Jima, Chosen Reservoir, Hue City, Kuwait City, Afghanistan and Iraq.

Remember of how our history is one filled with valor.

Remember to Reflect on wearing that caduece. How it changes you from an ordinary sailor and person to one with a special mission. It makes you stand a little taller and do a job a little better. Being a Corpsman forces you to understand the great responsibility you are asked to accept?. That of saving a persons life. It is said that there is no greater glory than to lay down your life for your fellow man. Well, Corpsmen do that every time the cry of "Corpsman Up" rings out on the battlefield.

We were given a legacy by those who came before and we must never let them down. You or I could never look a Marine or fellow Corpsman in the eye again if we did anything less.

Check out the Wall, you'll find a lot of US on it. These are the people that all corpsmen should revere and honor. They are the kind of men we want our children to admire and be like. They are the spirit of Hospital Corps and if you don't want to or can't live up to what all these men stood for, then maybe you shouldn't be a Corpsman, because you are breaking that bond and letting them down.

Since our founding The Hospital Corps is the only enlisted Corps in the Navy.
The Hospital Corps rate is the most decorated of all ratings in the U.S. Navy. It is while serving with the Marine it's personnel have been awarded 22 Medals of Honor, 174 Navy Crosses, 31 Distinguished Service Medals, 946 Silver Stars, and 1,582 Bronze Stars.

Additionally the Hospital Corps itself was awarded the Presidential Unit Citation for its' services in WWII.

Additionally, there have been 14 naval ships that have been named after hospital corpsmen.

I'M THE ONE CALLED "DOC"

I SHALL NOT WALK IN YOUR FOOTSTEPS,
BUT I WILL WALK BY YOUR SIDE.
I SHALL NOT WALK IN YOUR IMAGE,
I'VE EARNED MINE WITH PRIDE.

WE'VE ANSWERED THE CALL TOGETHER,
ON SEA AND FOREIGN LAND.
WHEN THE CRY FOR HELP WAS GIVEN,
I'VE BEEN THERE RIGHT AT HAND.

WHETHER I AM ON THE OCEAN
OR IN THE JUNGLE WEARING GREENS,
GIVING AID TO MY FELLOW MAN,