PDA

View Full Version : China sells more US T-bonds

jetdawgg
06-20-07, 12:57 PM
By Shangguan Zhoudong (chinadaily.com.cn)
Updated: 2007-06-19 15:23

<!--enpcontent-->China sold more US treasury bonds in April than any time in at least seven years, a signal that the nation may be diversifying the world's largest foreign-exchange reserves, Shanghai Securities News reported today.

Statistics from the US Treasury Department show that China sold a net US$5.8 billion of T-bonds, the first drop in holdings since October 2005. Japan remains the largest holder of US T-bonds, with its holdings reaching US$614.8 billion in April, according to the statistics.

China remained the second-largest holder of US T-bonds, as its stake fell to US$414.0 billion in April from US$419.8 billion in March this year. The United States had US$4.4 trillion of tradable bonds in April.

As an effort to diversify its forex investment channels, China also established a new specialized foreign exchange investment company named the State Investment Company to focus on investing in high-return bonds, stock markets, real estate and private equities. Analysts estimate the company may start with US$200 billion in capital.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width=244 align=left bgColor=#c1cddb border=0><TBODY><TR><TD><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width=242 bgColor=#fffde8 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=3> (http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/bizchina/2007-06/12/content_892246.htm)

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>"China's newly-added forex reserves through trade surplus are enough to make high-yield investments, and China may not and need not to use the US$1.2 trillion forex reserves," said Sun Mingchun, an economist with Lehman Brothers. "China won't sell a large amount of US T-bonds even if it wants to sell."

Marc Chandler, Chief Currency Strategist at Brown Brothers Harriman & Co, said that there's no clear sign Chinese investors are going to dump US T-bonds, noting that Chinese officials have said they have no intention of doing anything that would devalue their holdings.
Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson and Federal Reserve Chairman Ben S. Bernanke have repeatedly played down concern of a sell-off in T-bond holdings by foreign investors. Paulson noted again this week that China's holdings amount to about one day's worth of trading in the T-bond market.

Greg Anderson, director of currency strategy at ABN Amro Bank NV, said he was unconcerned about the decline in China's holdings of US T-bonds because the country is still buying US assets, providing support for the dollar.

Statistics from the Treasury Department also show that global investors in April this year sold a net US$28.2 billion of bonds, with their holdings down to US$2.17 trillion from US$2.19 trillion at the end of March.
To attract more investments in US dollar assets, Treasury deputy secretary Robert Kimmitt plans to lobby China and Russia to keep investing in the US on his trips to Moscow and Beijing next week. He said he plans a similar message on upcoming visits to Japan, South Korea and the Middle East.

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/bizchina/2007-06/19/content_897708.htm

<!--/enpcontent-->

10thzodiac
06-20-07, 10:01 PM
I know foreign creditors (China & Japan) holding US debt could cause interest rates to go way up if they sell enough US Treasuries forcing the Fed to make interest rates attractively higher for foreign lenders. Also the skilled job market is tight, causing employers to raise wages which is inflationary, cured usually by the Fed raising interest rates.

My question to you and others here, where do you see interest rates going ?

Stagflation anybody ?

greensideout
06-20-07, 10:13 PM
Stagflation? It had the retired dancing in the streets with 15% CD's on their IRA's back in the '80's. Will it happen again? Who knows?

jetdawgg
06-21-07, 08:30 AM
10Z if the democrats gain the WH interest rates will go up. This admin has printed too many dollars allowing it to devalue to the point where it is now on par with the CA dollar.

Bernanke will be tested over the next year as the quest for power (WH race) comes into focus. The USD is in a free fall and raising interest rates will be one tool to use in the fight to put valuation back into it.

ivalis
06-21-07, 02:21 PM
dawg, the scenario you described exists reguardless of who wins the white house next election.

jetdawgg
06-21-07, 02:30 PM
dawg, the scenario you described exists reguardless of who wins the white house next election.

I am hoping that a deficit cutting republican would get into play. The democrats have shown me thier card with the 'troop surge' bill being passed after they were voted in overwhelmingly to 'change the course'

ivalis
06-21-07, 03:42 PM
"deficit cutting republican", baa haa

10thzodiac
06-21-07, 08:00 PM
A triple whammy !

1. Employers can't find qualified employees now causing wages to go up.

2. Everyday consumer items are up.

3. Now, China dumping US treasuries on the open market.

The Fed is probably on political hold on interest rates, the Republicans don't need anymore election year political problems with higher interest rates i.e. unemployment, etc.

Behind the curve, anybody ?

BTW, is gasoline going lower for September and/or the White House ? Maybe its a wing-nut coincidence http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/tsmileys2/18.gif

jetdawgg
06-22-07, 09:23 AM
The (Anti-American) immigration bill that was tossed recently also prevented H1-B Visa workers to enter the USA. Bill Gates wanted an unlimited amount.

Ted Kennedy voted to install 400,000 more of them up from 65,000 today.

Inflation is looming and lurking. With more and more countries turning away from the USD this could be real trouble soon, if it is not already. Good to know that there are Marines up on this issue.

10thzodiac
06-22-07, 09:35 AM
They're predicting $5 gallon milk !

jetdawgg
06-22-07, 09:52 AM
Sh!t 10Z that is not a stretch. It is 4+ in the ATL already

10thzodiac
06-22-07, 11:09 AM
Sh!t 10Z that is not a stretch. It is 4+ in the ATL already

Most milk in Chicago runs between $ 2-3 approximately. At Tony's (non-union) a mile away, it is $1.99.

I won't miss milk that much when it goes to $5, I drink skim, so switching to water entirely won't be a big deal fof me.

2003 in Kauai, HI I saw milk for $5

drumcorpssnare
06-22-07, 12:55 PM
(yawn)

10thzodiac
06-22-07, 05:12 PM
(yawn)

I guess they didn't teach the three "B's" in the band... must be a FMF thing.

yellowwing
06-22-07, 06:14 PM
China sold a net US$ 5.8 billion of T-bonds...out of US $4.4 trillion of tradable bonds in April. Just a drop in the bucket. No worries.

10thzodiac
06-22-07, 08:07 PM
China sold a net US$ 5.8 billion of T-bonds...out of US $4.4 trillionof tradable bonds in April. Just a drop in the bucket. No worries.

[Marxism] A capitalist will sell you the rope to hang him with -- Lenin

And we sold Communist China $4.4 Trillion, what are we, ****** nuts ???

Now this really scares me more than all of the Bush 'bin Laden's' of the f*ucking world combined, past, present and future ! http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/tsmileys2/11.gif

China owns us financially and could make Regan's deregulation of thrift industry in the '80's look like a Sunday picnic.

Do you think that Ben (not bin) can save us ?

The Giant Gamble

Derivatives help banks, corporations, and countries hedge against risk, at least that was the intention. But more banks are aggressively and creatively using Derivatives beyond the original intention, betting on the future direction of interest rates, foreign exchange, commodities and stock indexes. Warren Buffet and others warned against this type of financial betting. But many US banks are in too deep, with constant pressure to produce quarter gains to keep their shareholders happy. Some people even feel that the current aggressive and creative uses of Derivatives can collapse the US banking system, making the S & L crisis look like child’s play. Many of the top 25 banks betting on Derivatives are US banks. Notice the biggest bettors are also the banks that face the most pressure to produce gains.

China should continue high restrictions for Derivatives, and keep its banks focused on the core banking business. Here is the list of those banks, some of which are in too deep, and may be just hoping they bet the right way, and not face a cascade collapse.

Derivatives ( In billions) Bank Name

47023 JP Morgan Chase Bank
22289 Citigroup
20595 BofA
3643 Wachovia Bank
2590 HSBC
695 Bank of New York
676 Wells Fargo Bank
668 Taunus Corp
612 Country Wide Financial
462 State Street Corp
183 National City Bank
146 PNC Financial Services
143 ABN AMRO
129 Barclays Group US
105 Mellon Financial Corp
100 Suntrust Bank
96 Keycorp
65 Metlife
65 US Bancorp
60 Northern Trust Company
49 John Hancock Holdings LLC
41 First Horizon National Corp
32 Capital One Financial
31 Citizen Financial Group
28 Fifth Third Bancorp

jetdawgg
06-23-07, 09:47 AM
Furthermore, China blasted a satellite out of the sky to show that they are expanding their military prowess.:usmc:

10thzodiac
06-23-07, 09:54 AM
Furthermore, China blasted a satellite out of the sky to show that they are expanding their military prowess.:usmc:

First, you must understand that Bush started out to have an empire, but he ended up making America a colony of China. That’s a getting it backwards. But then, he made America a colony of Israel. He at least should figure out that you can’t be a colony of two countries.

jetdawgg
06-23-07, 10:02 AM
That's getting it backwards twice. Doesn't that fix it:D ?

10thzodiac
06-23-07, 10:20 AM
hmmm... When I was an electrician cutting wire or conduit I'd tease onlookers, saying, "I cut the same piece twice and it's still to short." Some people actually believed me !

But I never thought people really did that until Dubya came along http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/tsmileys2/34.gif

http://content.jibjab.com/content/31ac5d4c2de7271a306c6f4ab41ad71ddcc731f5

jetdawgg
06-23-07, 10:24 AM
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u17/jetdawgg/Cut20and20run.jpg