PDA

View Full Version : Repairing the World

firstsgtmike
03-16-03, 11:19 AM
Repairing the World <br />
By THOMAS L. FRIEDMAN <br />
<br />
<br />
Some days, you pick up the newspaper and you don't know whether to laugh or cry. Let's see, the prime minister of Serbia just got shot, and if that...

greybeard
03-16-03, 12:32 PM
JFK---hmmm. Wasn't he the guy that used the mafia to get elected, got us into VietNam, and slept around with hollywood's most famous? Yeah, I thought it wuz. I don't think we're exporting our fears, we are just now realizing the same fears a lot of the rest of the world has endured for decades.

leroy8541
03-16-03, 05:38 PM
AMEN, well said Greybeard! These problems are fixed with bullets and loss of life, not with nails and hammers! JFk didn't actually get us into VietNam that was Johnson, I think. JFk wanted to take on Russia, via Cuba.

marinemom
03-16-03, 05:52 PM
Actually leroy, it Eisenhower who began to place US troops in Viet Nam - in 1955 approximetely 340 American military advisors were sent to the country at the request of then-president Ngo Dinh Diem.

Kennedy inherited Eisenhower's policy and expanded that number to about 700 US Army Special Forces Personnel by 1960. Johnson inherited from Kennedy. And, in my humble opinion, his worst decision was keping MacNamara in place.

wrbones
03-16-03, 06:04 PM
I can't wait to see the next response to this one!!!!!:D

JChristin
03-16-03, 07:13 PM
Vietnam, another problem Americans took on once the French fled - without a fight of course.

semper fi
jchristin

Barndog
03-16-03, 07:31 PM
Of course.

They're experts at it.

Lock-n-Load
03-16-03, 08:01 PM
You make valid and accurate points in here...since you mentioned...former Sec of Defense McNamara...to me, he was nothing short of a bloody...Butcher...the worst man ever to hold that office...he never wanted WAR in Vietnam to end...he "murdered"...thousands and thousand of US Fighting Forces allocated by him to go to Vietnam...he slept with Corporate America and when he emerged many years later to write his "memoirs"...to present himself as a human being...his book bombed...after getting sacked from Sec of Defense...he was so well/connected to Corporate America honchos...he was immediately...CEO of the World Bank...they have so damn much money...they literally can start or end any ...WAR!!...this conglomorate...The World Bank...has us [all] by the thoart...McNamara will never be able to wash the American blood off his hands...never...and he doesn't seem to give a rat's ass either.!:marine: :marine: Gung-Ho

Osotogary
03-16-03, 08:09 PM
I heard that the United States had to pay for every rubber plant destroyed on the Michelin Plantations by American Forces. I heard this more than once.
Gary

Barndog
03-16-03, 08:13 PM
I should dig up my term papers from the history classes at Michigan State I did on Johnson's Administration - re: the connection to Bell/Textron- Ladybird' and the purchase of the (then) hugely underpowered, however highly maneuverable OH-58.
L&L - funny you should mention the 'World Bank & McNamara' parallel in your post. (but, not really funny whatsoever ) I remember one of my prof's circling the entire term paper and writing 'outstanding' and 4.0 on it in red pen.

Most of the entire paper was on that subject. Now, ya made me go and start looking. Don't expect miracles...... I'm booking my work schedule for the 2nd week of April..... LOLOL

Semper Fidelis, To the Corps