PDA

View Full Version : tactics anyone?

greybeard
03-16-03, 09:00 AM
Anyone care to post how they think the tactical aspects of the Iraq war will play out? Considering the number of combat vets here, both Viet Nam & the Gulf War, I thought some of you may have some ideas of your own.
If you have any privileged info, please don't post it as such. What I'm looking for is personal opinions on how the war may be prosecuted.
Understand this!! I do not look at this as a game. I've been out of uniform for 30+ years and this is a completely different scenario than VietNam was, so I'm just trying to envision how things work in today's military. I've read all the pundit's articles & listened to the talking heads on TV. I want to hear from experienced combat veterans. Thanks.

firstsgtmike
03-16-03, 10:04 AM
When I first posted this, I was unsure as to its accuracy. However, it has been confirmed by two different sources.

"Terrified Iraqi soldiers have crossed the Kuwait border and tried
to surrender to British forces - because they thought the war
had already started. The motley band of a dozen troops waved the white flag as British paratroopers tested their weapons during a routine exercise. The stunned Paras from 16 Air Assault Brigade were forced to tell the Iraqis they were not firing at them, and ordered them back to their home country telling them it was too early to surrender. The drama unfolded last Monday as the Para battalion tested mortars and artillery weapons to make sure they were working properly. The Iraqis found a way across the fortified border, which is sealed off with barbed-wire fencing,
watchtowers and huge trenches." --Sunday Mirror (UK)

greybeard
03-16-03, 12:24 PM
I read the same thing 1firstsgtmike. Then, I've read that all the better equipped and trained Iraqi troops have been pulled back close to Bagdad, leaving only the transcripts out along the Kuwati border. Those trying to surrender said they were hungry & scared.

leroy8541
03-16-03, 02:43 PM
First comes bombing and "softening up" artillery more softening. tactical advance of armor, moving of troops, Mps will have to come up and take all EPWS so the infantry can move. Engineers to breach the defensive perimeters I.E minefields trenches. in the end mout, house to house fighting.

mrbsox
03-17-03, 08:06 AM
Along the same lines...

Who's up on recent Training and such. A specific question I've had for awhile is:

Can/do they still run F.D.C. (Fire Direction Center) with/from a plotting board, or do they rely completely on computers?

Computers fail, batteriesfail, generators fail, wiring fails, radios fail. But the (M2 I think) plotting board lives forever. Computers are fast, accurat, no doubt about it. But can they STILL use a plotting board in case technology doesn't work.

Terry :marine: