03-16-03, 07:54 AM
Iraqis, too, learned lessons from Gulf War <br />
<br />
By Jim Michaels <br />
USA Today <br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
KUWAIT CITY — Iraqi ground forces are not setting up trench lines at the Kuwaiti border to defend against a U.S.-led...

greybeard
03-16-03, 08:40 AM
The last paragraph is pretty irrelevant at this late date. The US military is ready now, with perhaps the exception of the Turkish question regarding the northern front. I would expect to see a airborne assault into the Northern part take the place of the Turkish route, securing or building airfields as necessary. Perhaps the 82nd, if they are available. That IS what they are supposed to be good at isn't it? There is a site somewhere, that lists the deployed units in the mideast-divisions sized down to smaller units. I have been hesitant to post the link, because I feel it is not good policy to spread info like that about an open source such as the internet.

firstsgtmike
03-16-03, 10:05 AM
WhenI first posted this, I had questions. However, it has been verified by two dfferent sources.

"Terrified Iraqi soldiers have crossed the Kuwait border and tried
to surrender to British forces - because they thought the war
had already started. The motley band of a dozen troops waved the white flag as British paratroopers tested their weapons during a routine exercise. The stunned Paras from 16 Air Assault Brigade were forced to tell the Iraqis they were not firing at them,
and ordered them back to their home country telling them it was
too early to surrender. The drama unfolded last Monday as the
Para battalion tested mortars and artillery weapons to make sure
they were working properly. The Iraqis found a way across the
fortified border, which is sealed off with barbed-wire fencing,
watchtowers and huge trenches." --Sunday Mirror (UK)