PDA

View Full Version : Many Americans want English as the Official Language

thedrifter
06-19-07, 07:40 AM
Many Americans want English as the Official Language
by Phyllis Schlafly (more by this author)
Posted 06/18/2007 ET
Updated 06/18/2007 ET

Hardly anyone predicted that the Bush-Kennedy-Kyl-Reid steamroller could be stopped. But as the New York Times reported on page one, the "Grass Roots Roared, and an Immigration Plan Fell."

The American people are fed up with the six years of "silent amnesty" President Bush has given us by his refusal to enforce the laws against illegal entry into our country, against hiring illegal aliens, and against allowing visitors to overstay their visas. The American people demanded that Congress reject the 400-plus-page bill that would grant Z visas to make Bush's silent amnesty permanent.

The grass roots showed their power over the White House, Big Democratic Establishment, Big Republican Establishment, Big Business, Big Unions, Big Media, and Big Church combined. Let's consider just one (largely unreported) of the many terrible proposals hidden in the crevices of the unlamented Kennedy-Kyl immigration bill: a surreptitious attempt to convert us to a bilingual (or even multilingual) nation.

Section 702(b) would have forbidden the government to "diminish" any existing rights under U.S. "laws" that concern services or materials provided by the government "in any language other than English." This section was given extraordinary scope by Section 702©, which defined the word "laws" to include "Presidential Executive Orders."

These deviously written sections would thus have exalted Clinton's Executive Order (EO) 13166 to the status of U.S. law. Clinton's order requires all recipients of federal funds to provide all information and services in any language requested by any recipient of federal funds (such as a private-practice physician who accepts a Medicare or Medicaid patient).

Ergo, all applicants for the new Z visa could apply in any language of their choice. Applicants would even be provided with tax-paid attorneys to demand their Z visas and challenge any rejection.

Clinton's EO 13166 should be repealed and English should be legislated as our official U.S. language. A new Zogby survey reports that 84 percent of Americans support this, one of the highest percentages of yes votes ever recorded in public opinion polls.

CNN's televised presidential debates highlighted the chasm between the two parties on this issue. When Wolf Blitzer asked all the Democratic candidates "to raise your hand ... if you believe English should be the official language of the United States," only former Sen. Mike Gravel held up his hand.

A few nights later at the Republican presidential debate, Blitzer asked any candidate to speak up "who doesn't believe English should be the official language of the United States." Only Sen. John McCain spoke, hedging his reply by talking about the sovereignty of American Indians in Arizona.

Blitzer followed up with the question "is there anyone else who stands with Sen. McCain specifically on that question?" No Republican candidate responded.

A good example of the effect of NOT legislating English as our official language can be seen in the June 22 release of the U.S. Department of Agriculture about the school lunch program. I quote verbatim:

"Please be advised that we have finalized the process of translating the Free and Reduced Price School Meals Application package into 25 different languages . . . Arabic, Cambodian, Chinese (Mandarin), Farsi, French, Greek, Haitian, Hindi, Hmong, Japanese, Korean, Kurdish, Laotian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Samoan, Serbo-Croatian, Somali, Spanish, Sudanese, Tagalog, Thai, Urdu, and Vietnamese."

(Note the discrimination of this list: it omits German and Italian. Does this mean that (a) German and Italian immigrants see to it that their kids learn English, or (b) we no longer accept immigrants from Germany or Italy, or © we are still angry at Germany and Italy about World War II?)

Univision, the nation's most-watched Spanish-language television network, has announced it wants to host a Spanish-language TV debate among the 2008 presidential candidates. After specifying that all questions would be asked in Spanish, Univision condescendingly said that candidates may either answer in Spanish or use a translator if they answer in English.

Republican National Committee Chairman Mel Martinez says this is a "terrific" idea. Martinez is part of the reason why contributions to the Republican Party have dropped so low that the party has laid off all its telephone solicitors.

The Univision invitation illustrates why it is important to recognize English as our official language. Since only citizens may legally vote, and being able to speak English is a requirement for naturalization, there is no necessity for candidates to speak to voters in any language other than English.

When a candidate uses a language other than English (as Mitt Romney is now doing in radio ads), it's like whispering behind the backs of most voters. This is unacceptable because the candidate may be making promises or concessions or innuendoes to a minority bloc, and because the process tends to divide the electorate into political pressure groups.

The English language is the greatest force we have for national unity. It would be a tragic mistake to diminish it.

Ellie

JinxJr
06-19-07, 08:26 AM
:mad:

Welcome to America (legally). Plan to stay? Konen sie der English sprechen?
Hooked on Phonics is on sale for $49.95. (I'm guessing but you get the point). The menu is in English; press 1 for any other language and the INS tosses your ass back on the boat.

The nerve of the people who have the gall to call themselves our Lawmakers are pandering to people who refuse to conform to the very way of life they should have come here for because dopes like Romney are kissinig their feet. Does it really make sense that they feel the need to legislate ENGLISH as our OFFICIAL LANGUAGE? (I'm rapidly losing the ability to remain calm and rational).

Coming to this country to make a life has conditions. Abide by the laws and learn the language. Be a productive member of society. Don't deny your heritage or customs, it's what you are and I'm OK with that. I'm NOT OK with somebody...anybody coming here and telling me to learn their language or practice their customs because I have to be sensitive to their heritage. This is MY home, Americans are MY family and if you want to stay and be part of that...Welcome if you adhere to the rules. Otherwise, Get the hell out.

jetdawgg
06-19-07, 09:23 AM
America First, America Second, America Third......

It is ok to learn other languages and to speak them fluently:usmc:

BOOGIEMAN44
06-19-07, 10:14 AM
Many Americans want English as the Official Language

Clinton's EO 13166 should be repealed and English should be legislated as our official U.S. language.

NOW... SOMEONE CORRECT ME IF I AM WRONG, AND TRUST ME IT WOULDN'T BE THE FIRST TIME, BUT, DIDN'T THE CONGRESS ALREADY VOTE IN THE EARLY 80'S THAT ENGLISH WOULD BE THE OFFICIAL LANGUAGE OF THE UNITED STATES, I RECALL, NOT THE YEAR, BUT REMEMBER, I WAS ON ACTIVE DUTY AT K-BAY, IN THE MARINE CORPS, WHEN THIS HAPPENED, I THINK, AND I HAVE TO DO THAT HARD NOW-A- DAYS, TO REMEMBER BACK THAT FAR, YOU KNOW TOO MANY HAND GAENADE'S AND ALL, BUT... I DO THINK THAT IT WAS ALREADY VOTED ON, AND PASSED, I WANT TO SAY 1983-84 MAYBE, I DO REMEMBER ALL OF THE MARINES IN OUR PLT, SAYING WELL IT'S ABOUT TIME, LIKE I SAID, " TOO MANY HAND GAENADE'S AND ALL " ELLIE?

JinxJr
06-19-07, 10:28 AM
America First, America Second, America Third......

It is ok to learn other languages and to speak them fluently:usmc:

Agreed.

Growing up, my old man said everybody needs to learn two things (the difference between right and wrong already being a given): a foreign language and a musical instrument. God knows I tried both and admire anybody who has mastered either (I mastered neither). My bride is a naturalized American citizen and grew up in a home where only German was spoken. Her daughters learned the language...conversationally. I encourage them to maintain their heritage and I've seen them all throw a phone when they've heard "Press 1 for English". My wife tells whiners that she's an American by choice, not accident of birth.

jinelson
06-19-07, 10:28 AM
Thats the way I remember it Mark. By the way its great seeing ya back on the forums bro, even if you are still wearing that Brokeback Mountain cover.

LMFAO

Jim :D :D :D

jetdawgg
06-19-07, 10:32 AM
http://www.thecinemasource.com/moviesdb/images/BrokebackMountainPoster-300.jpg
:D

drumcorpssnare
06-19-07, 02:18 PM
Jeez, I'm suprised the liberals haven't insisted that the Universal Sign language become our "Official" language. After all, there are some people in this country who must use "that" language to communicate.
drumcorpssnare:usmc:

...and the fact that they are mute, or deaf-mute,

oh, sorry, speach or hearing impaired...is Bush's fault too.

Ed Palmer
06-19-07, 04:05 PM
DUH I tink tht Ebonic,s shd be th oficil langged

iamcloudlander
06-20-07, 07:47 AM
Subject: Honorable Tom Harkin

The Honorable Tom Harkin
731 Hart Senate Office Building Phone (202) 224 3254 Washington DC, 20510

Dear Senator Harkin, As a native Iowan and excellent customer of the Internal Revenue Service, I am writing to ask for your assistance. I have contacted the Department of Homeland Security in an effort to determine the process for becoming an illegal alien and they referred me to you.

My primary reason for wishing to change my status from US. Citizen to illegal alien stems from the bill which was recently passed by the Senate and for which you voted. If my understanding of this bill's provisions is accurate, as an illegal alien who has been in the United States for five years, all I need to do to become a citizen is to pay a $2,000 fine and income taxes for three of the last five years. I know a good deal when I see one and I am anxious to get the process started before everyone figures it out. Simply put, those of us who have been here legally have had to pay taxes every year so I'm excited about the prospect of avoiding two years of taxes in return for paying a $2,000 fine. Is there any way that I can apply to be illegal retroactively? This would yield an excellent result for me and my family because we paid heavy taxes in 2004 and 2005. Additionally, as an illegal alien I could begin using the local emergency room as my primary health care provider. Once I have stopped paying premiums for medical insurance, my accountant figures I could save almost $10,000 a year. Another benefit in gaining illegal status would be that my daughter would receive preferential treatment relative to her law school applications, as well as "in-state" tuition rates for many colleges throughout the United States for my son.

Lastly, I understand that illegal status would relieve me of the burden of renewing my driver's license and making those burdensome car insurance premiums. This is very important to me given that I still have college age children driving my car.

If you would provide me with an outline of the process to become illegal (retroactively if possible) and copies of the necessary forms, I would be most appreciative. Thank you for your assistance

Your Loyal Constituent, Donald Ruppert Burlington, IA Get your Forms (NOW)!! Call your Internal Revenue Service
1-800-289-1040.

Please pass this onto your friends so they can save on this great offer!!!! Becoming Illegal

(Actual letter from an Iowa resident and sent to his senator)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Get in your applications in early people

BOOGIEMAN44
06-20-07, 10:56 AM
[B][I]even if you are still wearing that Brokeback Mountain cover.

JUST WHEN YA THINK IT IS SAFE TO GO BACK IN...DAMN... SOMEONE JUST HAS TO BRING THAT THING UP AGAIN, I HAD TO STOP WEARING MY HAT JUST FOR THAT REASON FOR A YEAR, TO LET THAT DAMN MOVIE DIE OFF, THANKS JIM...LOL :beer: HRS COWBOYYYYYYYYY !!!, JUST WHEN YA THINK IT IS SAFE...DAMN :marine:

jetdawgg
06-20-07, 11:49 AM
iamcloudlander that was great. I did not mean to laugh so hard. That sh!t really is not funny.

But like you I know a good deal when I see it. Being from NYC, I speak Spanish tambien (also):D

Sgt Leprechaun
06-20-07, 12:10 PM
I have no problem with people learning other languages. Nor do I think it's a bad idea for Amurkans to speak other languages.

However, it is insane to visit another country, or live there, and NOT know the language. Those who come here, should speak the language. Period.

All this 'press here for Spanish' or whatever junk (thanks AGAIN to the Clinton administration for that crap) is simply wrong.