PDA

View Full Version : Ageless 90 years old and zipping around Daily routines continue

thedrifter
06-19-07, 06:01 AM
Ageless 90 years old and zipping around Daily routines continue
June 19, 2007 12:35 am

ERICA MASON

James Savoie wishes 65-year-olds wouldn't call themselves senior citizens.

"I never thought about retirement at their age," Savoie said.

Savoie, 90, a Fredericksburg resident by way of Florida, Georgia and Massachusetts, is still driving, cooking and making plans.

A great-grandfather to five, Savoie has yet to turn off the engine and the stove at an age when most people are winding down.

Five years ago, Savoie left Florida and moved to Virginia to be close to family. Though he's adjusted to life in Fredericksburg, he misses all the golf courses he could play in the Sunshine State.

His granddaughter, Spotsylvania County resident Dione LaBossiere, remembers riding in golf carts with her grandfather, scouting for alligators.

"Grandpa's favorite pastime is playing golf," LaBossiere said. "Last year for my oldest son's birthday, Grandpa brought a toy set of golf clubs and began showing him how to putt and use the different clubs."

But Savoie didn't always live a life of leisure. Growing up during the Depression, Savoie, a World War II vet, knows about diligence and hard work.

"When you were growing up in the '30s and late '20s, there wasn't much of a bright picture for the future," he said.

Upon the untimely death of his father, Savoie left school to join the work force at 17.

While in his teens, Savoie met his future wife, Mildred, in Sunday school in Massachusetts. They were married when he was 23.

"I bought her a diamond ring, but could only pay $1 a week for it," Savoie said.

Because employment was tight, Savoie decided to try a new direction with the Marines. By the early 1940s, he shipped out to the South Pacific.

When he returned, Savoie worked as plant and regional managers for Firestone and other companies.

"The time I spent in the Marine Corps was a big factor in the broadening of my beliefs, of believing in myself," Savoie said. "If there were any doubts in my life, I could always fall back on that I had achieved in the Marines."

That perspective has helped Savoie keep going in his older years.

"He doesn't let his age stop him from doing anything," said LaBossiere.

Today, Savoie may talk a lot about his experience in the Marines, but not as much as he speaks of his wife, who died in 2001 after struggling with congestive heart failure.

Though Mildred had various jobs before raising their three children, LaBossiere said that her grandmother stuck to the standard homemaker role. But when his wife got sick, Savoie took over.

"When my grandmother started to get ill, approximately seven years ago, the roles had to be reversed," LaBossiere said. "[My grandfather] was very good about waiting on her and doing 'female' work."

This enabled Savoie to fend for himself when he began living alone. LaBossiere said some of his favorite meals to make for lunch are chow mien, chicken and rice, and tuna sandwiches.

She is amazed at Savoie's memory.

"He still remembers each photo, the dates and people in the photo, and some of them are from a really, really long time ago," she said.

Savoie takes little medication and has good eyesight, and he hopes to get back into the swing of golf to keep up his health.

"The more your lifestyle declines, the more your health declines," Savoie advised.

But one thing he's adamant about is staying on the road.

"I think I'm a lot more capable than some of the drivers out there," Savoie chuckled. "The first thing that's going to stop me is when I have to give up my car."

"I know my daughter doesn't like it," he continued, "But I'm a better driver than she is."

Savoie still refers to Mildred in conversations. When he talks about his life, he often speaks as if they were one person.

"I think we had a pretty good life," he said. "We accomplished the things we wanted to accomplish."

Erica Mason: 540/374-5000
Email: emason@freelancestar.com

Ellie