PDA

View Full Version : USMC v USCG? - Russian Linguist

06-19-07, 02:52 AM
My mother keeps telling me to look into the Coast Guard for my intention of serving and following my desires to become a Russian linguist. Personally, I'd much rather enlist in the Marine Corps. I do know, however, that I may not get my chosen MOS when I do enlist. Thus, the problem. In not letting any biases taint your opinions, I'm asking for your thoughts on which branch would be best to persue becoming a Russian linguist. I'm really conflicted here, as for many years the Corps has been my one and only choice as far as which branch I want to join. Anyway, thank you if you have any input on this matter.

Zulu 36
06-19-07, 06:21 AM
#1 - Do you speak/read/write Russian fluently now? It would help you whatever the branch you choose to try and get a linguist job with. You would probably still go to the language school to polish up.

#2 - Have you researched the number of Russian linguist positions available in the Coast Guard and the Marine Corps? It is possible, given the relatively small size of the Coast Guard, there are very few such positions and probably filled by skilled (probably native born) Russian speakers, writers, and readers due to the need to speak with and read shipping documents especially during boardings and inspections of vessels. It is also likely that those linguists actually have other jobs, such as Yeoman, Boatswain Mate, Radioman, etc, to keep them busy in between linguist jobs.

There might be more such positions available in the Corps, but you might not qualify or the Corps would rather use you elsewhere.

Also, the Marine Corps does assign skill designators to Marines in various MOS' who are already fluent in other languages and pass a proficiency exam. I knew several Marines who were truck drivers, MPs, and others who had designators in Spanish, German, French, and Russian, etc.

The Coast Guard does the same as my ex-wife had a Spanish linguist designator, although her rate was Yeoman. She spent some time in Miami at the big USCG radio station there monitoring the radio traffic of drug smugglers so CG cutters could intercept then at sea. She was native-born Cuban.

killerinstinct
06-19-07, 10:43 AM
I' will help you out on this; people have to prove themselves to the Corps not the other way around.

This is why you wont find as many perks and benefits as you would with other branches. There are some dont get me wrong but for the most part what i just said is true.

But it is possible to get a specific job RS' can see what TO's they have and maybe swap with others it is possible just takes a bit more time to get a specific MOS.

06-19-07, 11:26 PM
Zulu, thanks for your reply. You do bring up some very good points I hadn't really thought of. I'm still learning Russian, already fluent in Norwegian, and I pick up languages fast. After dealing with a bad recruiter here, I've decided I'm going to wait until I finish college before talking to another, so I will be fluent by then. I have tried researching Coast Guard position a little bit, but I did not find much information. I do think that I'm going to sit down and talk to recruiters from both the Marine Corps and Coast Guard and find out more once it gets closer to the time. Thank you.

killerinstinct, thank you for your reply as well. Both of you have been very helpful!