PDA

View Full Version : Local twins prepare for Marine basics

thedrifter
06-17-07, 07:28 AM
Jun 16, 2007
Local twins prepare for Marine basics

By Bernie Delinski
Staff Writer
LOCUST SHORES -- Joe Bussanich was curious about the physical training sessions his twin brother, Chris, was going through in preparation for U.S. Marine Corps basic training.

So Joe joined him one evening. Soon, he found himself talking with Marine recruiters.

"I just thought I'd work out and go home; that's it," Joe Bussanich said. "But they started talking with me, and I don't want to have to pay for college, plus this is an adventure and challenge."

Joe Bussanich soon found himself signing up, as well.

The twins are planning to leave Sunday for boot camp at Parris Island, S.C.

That means the Locust Shores twins will leave behind their mother, Cathy Tidwell.

"Joe came home and said he wanted to join the Marines, and I said no he couldn't, that I could only have one child join the Marines at a time," Tidwell said.

She soon realized Joe Bussanich was serious, and that it could be a good move for both sons.

Still, mom has gone through a string of emotions as she prepares to send them off.

"I had my times of 'I just can't believe it, my babies' and all that stuff, but mom has to cut the apron strings," she said. "It's tough but I'm proud of them and proud of the decisions they're making."

The twins graduated from Deshler High School in May and have been preparing themselves mentally and physically for basics.

Now, reality is setting in as they prepare to leave.

"I'm kind of excited and a little scared," Joe Bussanich said.

Chris Bussanich admits to a case of the jitters, as well. "I hear a lot of stories about it," he said. "People come back and say it's kind of hard, or it's going to be easy. I just don't know what to expect."

Tidwell said Chris Bussanich has been interested in the military since taking ROTC in the sixth grade when they lived in Minnesota.

He initially was interested in the U.S. Air Force but loved what he heard from the Marines. "He wanted to be labeled as the best of the best," Tidwell said.

The twins are in a delayed-entry program that allows them to attend workout programs to prepare them for the 13-week boot camp.

Chris Bussanich said he will go into avionics after basic training. That will involve a lot of electronics work. Joe Bussanich will go in the direction of computer analysis and digital programming.

That means it's likely they'll split up after basic training, but they are thankful to be able to get started together.

"It'll be a lot better for me and him to go together, because we know each other and will be able to talk to each other," Chris Bussanich said.

Cathy Tidwell said that probably helped Joe Bussanich decide to join.

"Being away from his brother I'm sure kind of hit close to home," she said. "Now, they're looking forward to joining together."

They realize the implications of joining while the United States is in a war in Iraq and involved in the War on Terrorism.

Joe Bussanich said you don't join the U.S. Marines unless you are willing to go. His brother agrees.

"I'm not really concerned with it, because if they send me over there, they send me over there," Chris Bussanich said. "We're helping the country."

"At first, I was kind of a little scared about it," Cathy Tidwell said. "I was thinking, 'My gosh, they're leaving and this is still going on over there. How are we going to get through this?'

"But they're ready for it. They'll do it, no matter what."

Bernie Delinski can be reached at 740-5739 or bernie.delinski@timesdaily.com.

Ellie