PDA

View Full Version : After Iraq, DiNova on home ground

thedrifter
06-17-07, 06:13 AM
06/17/2007
After Iraq, DiNova on home ground
By: Danielle Sanzone , The Record

BRUNSWICK - Friends and family of a returning warrior gathered at the Brunswick Elks on Saturday to give the Marine a rousing welcome home.
"I thought we were coming here to pick up Yankees tickets," said a stunned Sgt. DiNova of Troy at his surprise homecoming party. "I really was not expecting this - this is better than a Yankees game."
DiNova, a 2001 graduate of Troy High School, has spent the past six years in the Marines.
During that time, he has traveled thousands of miles, having been stationed in San Diego, Calif., and serving two tours of active duty in Iraq.
"Honestly, I'm very relieved to be back home with my friends and family," said DiNova, who joined the military before the war in Iraq broke out.
"It's a nice feeling knowing that I am done. I'm looking forward to continuing my education and taking advantage of the opportunities that joining the Marines has given me."
The 24-year-old plans to finish a bachelor's degree in management and marketing at Siena College while also obtaining a degree from Hudson Valley Community College in Web programming, he said.
"Being back in school will be very different from what I've been used to in Iraq," he said. "After being in the military for so long, I guess I'm actually looking forward to just having a 9-to-5 job."
Saturday's surprise welcome-home party was arranged by DiNova's parents Anthony DiNova Sr. and Julia Olszowy.
"It's so nice having him back," said Olszowy who has only seen her son sporadically over the past six years.
"There were times when we would talk on the phone, when he was in Iraq, and I would hear gunshots and explosions in the background. While he was used to that going on, it was very scary for me, as a mother, to have my son in possible harms way. Like I said, I'm very glad he's back home."
DiNova received a hero's welcome from dozens of friends and family members at the Elk's Lodge on Route 2.
"While I am very proud of his accomplishments in the Marines - making sergeant and serving his country - it really is great having him home," said DiNova's father.

Ellie