PDA

View Full Version : Motorcyclists launch ride for warriors

thedrifter
06-17-07, 05:58 AM
Motorcyclists launch ride for warriors

By: JOEL D. AMOS - For the North County Times

VISTA ---- Michael "Gunny" Ackerman and 30 other motorcyclists took off Saturday from Vista's House of Motorcycles on a cross-country trek to raise money and awareness for injured service members returning from war.

The group is part of the Wounded Warrior Project, a national effort to help severely injured soldiers and Marines make the next steps of their lives as smooth as possible.

Ackerman is a retired Marine whose service ended after 21 years because of a head injury in Iraq. He said that when someone thanks him for his service, it makes his sacrifice feel appreciated.

"Even a simple handshake goes a long way," he said.

In a few weeks the bikers will arrive in Florida after stopping in military installations along the way.

American Power Sports, parent company of House of Motorcycles, saw an opportunity to honor the military service of veterans, but also to have a meaningful, concrete result arise from fundraising.

"It's a way to have the American people say thank you and to help take care of our own," said Craig Lindsay, the company's chief financial officer.

Alex Van Wey of House of Motorcycles saw the opportunity to support a segment of its clientele beyond providing vehicles.

"We have been a part of San Diego since 1962, and San Diego is a military town, so we've always had a close tie with the military," he said. "Much of our community involvement is military related."

Offering military discounts to mark the Wounded Warrior journey further plays into its goals of saying thank you for selfless acts, he said.

"A lot of these guys are Marines," Van Wey said as he looked around his store. "The military is supporting us, so we need to make sure we're supporting them."

Ackerman said it can be difficult to a former military person to ask for help.

"The big thing with the Wounded Warrior Project is it is also a support network," he said. "That's the biggest thing right there. If a guy is having a bad hair day, he can pick up the phone and talk to another wounded warrior and share problems because these are people who have been there and done that."

Ackerman's path from military service to riding in the cross-country caravan began when he awoke in Germany.

"I knew I wasn't in Iraq anymore," he remembered. Disorientation and terror often accompanies moments following awaking from a combat injury.

Wounded Warriors flies family members to be by the side of their wounded service member to soften the shock of a life-altering injury.

"When I awoke from my coma in Germany, my mother was right there," Ackerman said. "It was so helpful to have her there."

As the bikers travel, they are also a moving salute to those service members who are home and suffering with life-long reminders of combat.

"The biggest thing for me is that we are raising awareness," Ackerman said. "It's not just physically. It's emotionally, too. I think about Iraq every single day."

The location of the caravan is continually being updated on www.rideforthewarriors.com. For Lindsay and his company, being a part of something much larger than a grateful handshake is at the heart of his participation in the journey.

"It's incredible what these people have gone through and they have done so much for us," he said. "I want to honor that."

Ellie