PDA

View Full Version : What is it really like for the Marine Corps training?

cg19922000
06-17-07, 04:51 AM
Hello. My name is Steve. I am 17 years old, and I am graduating high school the end of June. My true dream in life was to go to college, get a nice job, and be successful. But, my father was in the Marine Corps for several years. I never knew him, so he never told me himself, but my mother told me about his physical abilities when it came to football, baseball, or even mowing the lawn.

So, let me get to my point...my father became ill after the Marines(mentally ill). And, he moved to California to live with his mom so she could take care of him. And, you could only imagine being 6 years old, and only seeing your father maybe twice before he went insane. But, I have a good friend who is in the Marine Corps, and he basically told me that they take you back to when you were born. Then, they work their way up until they teach you everything you need to know to be a Marine. But, they flush all the emotions out of you. So, you are basically cold blooded until you see your family. Then, reality strikes and you are basically a nervous wreck. You shut yourself down.

Either he's lying or he's telling the truth. It's most likely different for everybody. I'm not trying to insult anybody by saying this. But, learning this information....It really gave me second thoughts about being a Marine. I just need some answers before I make the wrong decision. If I don't respond to the forums, please e-mail me at cg19922000@aol.com

I'd appreciate honest answers....because its between me shooting a gun or killing people. Or its me being a coast guard, and getting a scholarship to a nice college, and working with computers.

I hope you took the time to read this.

Thanks,
Steve

Marine84
06-17-07, 07:04 AM
I don't remember ANYTHING being flushed out of me including my emotions - I still have all the same ones I've grown up with (plus some, now that I'm going through the change).

I'm sorry about your Dad but maybe that illness was something that was already there - I really don't think the Corps did it to him. Unless he may have gone through combat before you were born....................

MKinney
06-17-07, 07:41 AM
We aren't stone cold robots that have been brain washed. I'm guessing your father's condition was pre-existing or something happened so tramatic that he couldn't handle it.
Sure they "Break" you down, but that's just to get the civilian nastiness out of your system and replace it with respect and discipline.

davblay
06-17-07, 08:50 AM
The Marine Corps had been training Marines since 1775. In the time since then they have never produced a Killer! The Marine Corps triains people to KILL, there is a difference and you are taught how to tell the difference. The Marine Corps has produced such fine people as, Chesty Puller, Smedley Butler, Dan Saley, Jason Dunham and many many more. However there were the Lee Harvey Oswalds as well that had served in the Marines. The Marines didn't make these people Killers, they simply taught them how to kill. They took it unpon themselves to pull that trigger! There are many casualties of war besides the KIA's, and they are the ones that need understanding and help. As a Viet Nam Vet, I can say that mental disorder is now, as it was then, a real problem that is being dealt with better than ever. Having said that, it is still a problem facing our Warriors today.

There are no two people that handle stress in the same way, some will break under the pressure of various obsticles, while others will shack them off and go on. Some take far less pressure than others while some can never suffer the ill effects, at least on the surface. But everyone is effected by combat stress, and combat related stress, in some manner. Your father may have had a pre existing condition, or may have seen something that he just couldn't shack off. Might have been a accident of some sort, who knows. But you can't believe that the sins of the father (or deseases) are cast upon the son. Go on with your life, and if the Corps is in your future, you will know it. Follow your heart.

davblay
06-17-07, 11:07 AM
The Marine Corps had been training Marines since 1775. In the time since then they have never produced a Killer! The Marine Corps triains people to KILL, there is a difference and you are taught how to tell the difference. The Marine Corps has produced such fine people as, Chesty Puller, Smedley Butler, Dan Saley, Jason Dunham and many many more. However there were the Lee Harvey Oswalds as well that had served in the Marines. The Marines didn't make these people Killers, they simply taught them how to kill. They took it unpon themselves to pull that trigger! There are many casualties of war besides the KIA's, and they are the ones that need understanding and help. As a Viet Nam Vet, I can say that mental disorder is now, as it was then, a real problem that is being dealt with better than ever. Having said that, it is still a problem facing our Warriors today.

There are no two people that handle stress in the same way, some will break under the pressure of various obsticles, while others will shack them off and go on. Some take far less pressure than others while some can never suffer the ill effects, at least on the surface. But everyone is effected by combat stress, and combat related stress, in some manner. Your father may have had a pre existing condition, or may have seen something that he just couldn't shack off. Might have been a accident of some sort, who knows. But you can't believe that the sins of the father (or deseases) are cast upon the son. Go on with your life, and if the Corps is in your future, you will know it. Follow your heart.

edit: DAN DALEY

cg19922000
06-17-07, 12:10 PM
I understand now that it was pre-existing in my father...it makes much more sense...I apologize for your inconvience

Thanks,
Steve

Sgt Leprechaun
06-17-07, 12:47 PM
No apologies needed. You asked a question and it was answered.

No worries. Press on.