PDA

View Full Version : STC dad gets early Father's Day gift

thedrifter
06-16-07, 07:12 AM
STC dad gets early Father's Day gift
By ERIC SCHELKOPF - eschelkopf@kcchronicle.com

ST. CHARLES -- Michael Umathum is receiving his Father’s Day present a day early.

His stepson, Marine Lance Cpl. Wes Farber, is coming home today after being stationed in Iraq for six months. He is on a 30-day leave.

“When my wife asked me what I wanted for Father’s Day, I said, ‘What I want is coming home Saturday,’ ’’ Umathum said.

The couple has not seen their son since he left for Iraq.

Farber, 21, is a 2004 St. Charles East graduate, where he was on the wrestling team.

He joined the Marines in November 2004.

“He wanted to help take care of our country,” said Farber’s mother, Sandra Umathum.

The Home Front Support Brigade helped welcome him home through decorating the St. Charles family’s home.

For the past six months, Farber has been helping train Iraqi soldiers as well as searching houses for insurgents. Part of his tour was spent in Al Asad, Iraq.

While the couple is proud of their son, they also worried about his safety.

“Every two or three weeks he would call,” Michael Umathum said. “We wouldn’t be able to call him.”

He has raised Farber since he was 8 years old.

Farber is proud of what he was doing in Iraq, Michael Umathum said.

“Wes wants people to know about the good things they are doing over there,” he said.

Umathum himself believes that the United States did the right thing in invading Iraq after the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks.

“Bush had to do something to keep that kind of activity off American soil,” he said.

During his time at home, Farber will reminisce with high school friends and family members.

His family values their short time together, especially since they don’t know if Farber will have to return to Iraq.

“I wish he didn’t have to, but I am behind him all the way if he does,” his stepfather said.

Ellie