06-16-07, 06:57 AM
Linden residents show support for troops
Ribbons symbolize unity
Home News Tribune Online 06/16/07

Post a comment
By SUZANNE C. RUSSELL
STAFF WRITER
srussell@thnt.com

LINDEN — As 15-year-old Natasha Richardson placed a yellow ribbon in support of the troops on the large evergreen tree in front of Linden City Hall Thursday she thought about her grandfather, a veteran of World War II.

Richardson, a freshman at Linden High School and a member of its Naval Jr. ROTC unit, wants to be like her grandfather. She wants to serve in the Air Force or the Marines.

"I choose to do it. I feel I can make a difference in the world," she said.

Children from all the district schools along with veterans, Union County and city officials, parents, and residents placed yellow ribbons on the tree as part of a Unity Day celebration in support of the troops.

The event was spearheaded by city activist Beatrice Bernzott who announced in January plans to bathe the city in yellow ribbons to show how much Linden supports the men and women in the armed services.

She was assisted by Addalias Florist in Linden which supplied the ribbons and the bows and Korean War veteran John Malinchok who hung up yellow bows on street lights, utilty poles and trees until the city was covered with 1,000 bows. About 300 more where tied to the tree by children and residents.

"We're here because we all agree on one thing, we support our troops," Bernzott said during a ceremony held at the Raymond Wood Bauer Promenade amphitheater located across the street from City Hall.

She said is was an easy task to get Linden to rally around the celebration because there are many veterans on the City Council and on the police and fire departments. In addition Mayor Richard Gerbounka is a veteran of the Vietnam War and former Mayor John T. Gregorio was a U.S. Navy veteran.

But Linden's support isn't enough. Bernzott is challenging every community in New Jersey to step up and show their suppport for the troops.

"It's vital we remember the sacrifices of our brave men and women," said state Sen. Nicholas Scutari, D-Union, Middlesex, Somerset who serve as honorary chairman of the Yellow Ribbon Campaign. "Our troops are worthy of our support."

Bernzott recognized U.S. Navy Airman Michael Cistaro who recently returned from Iraq but is scheduled to be deployed again.

Union County Undersheriff Vincent DeTrolio, a Vietnam War veteran, described how he felt abandoned when he returned to the United States in 1971.

"Today I see unbelievable support we give our troops," said DeTrolio, adding that many troops return with emotional scars that last forever.

James Bohmer, who works for the Union County Sheriff Office and is a member of the New Jersey National Guard, said he served as a security force member in Kuwait City. Bohmer said his patrol partner, whose father was a Vietnam War veteran, died over there.

"I consider myself lucky. I returned home safely," he said. "Support the troops until the last one comes home."

Anita Irving Reid of Linden, who has family members who have served in the military, said she came out to Unity Day celebration because, while some may not value war, they value the lives of their husbands, fathers, mothers and sisters who may be fighting in the war.

"They are all people like us. We need to let them know we care," said Reid, whose daughter, Gabrielle, a McManus Middle School student, was chosen to tie a yellow ribbon on the tree.

"We have to appreciate the sacrifices people have made. The sacrifices are for all of us," she said.

Gerard Noble of Linden, a Vietnam War veteran, said he's wasn't welcomed when he returned home from the war.

"Someone urinated on my uniform when I came home. No person deserves that," he said through tears.

Audience members applauded Noble while both Reid and Cistaro went over to shake his hand.

Rebecca Tattoli, the yellow ribbon campaign outreach chairwoman, led a ceremony during which candles were lit in rememberance of men and women who have given their life, including Army Sgt. Steven Checo of Elizabeth, U.S. Army serviceman Michael Edwin Curtin, Army Pfc Stephen Benish of the Clark/Linden area and Wanda Green, a flight attendant aboard United Flight 93 which was hijacked by terrorist on Sept. 11, 2001 and crashed in a Pennsylvania field.

The Rev. Frederick Boyle, pastor of United Methodist Church in Linden, said he keeps a list of all the men and women who have died serving in Iraq.

"Every week I update the list and every week it breaks my heart. Three thousand, five hundred names is just a number. When I look at it it fills a whole page, it's not just a number. This is somebody's son, father or daughter. They aren't just a number."

Linden Councilman Eugene Davis, a Vietnam War veteran, said the men and women serving in Iraq are young, with little life experience.

"But they are giving all they have to protect their freedom and our freedom," he said. "Keep them in your prayers."

Suzanne C. Russell:

00002(732) 565-7335;

srussell@thnt.com

Ellie