PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed - much appreciated

ak32gh10
06-15-07, 10:45 PM
Marines,

I’ve come to ask for some serious advice. Your time spent in reading and answering this will be greatly appreciated.

I’m 29 years old, and considering joining the Marines (reserves). Yes, I realize full well how old that is, it is the age limit I believe for the reserves, and just past for active duty . I have been in frequent contact with a recruiter of course. I would say that I am in fairly decent physical shape, and still improving. 175 pounds, 5’ 10”, and can easily pass the minimum pull-up and crunch test.

My biggest problem, however, is the running. Despite the fact that I’ve been a smoker for several years, I’m very close I think to passing the 13:30 1.5 mile test, so my cardiovascular fitness is not my biggest problem. My problem is stress fractures, on both sides of both of my lower legs, near my ankles. Really excruciating pain. I got them every year while playing football in high school, and as of now have no reason to think they wouldn’t come back in Boot Camp, which would obviously be many times more strenuous.

I’m going to see a doctor soon and see what steps I can take toward trying to avoid or at least minimize these fractures (I can still feel them even now). However, no matter what, if I decide to join, I think I’m going to have to more or less accept that they are going to come back. My question then: what happens?

I’ve searched this forum for answers, and found conflicting information. The recruiter I am talking to keeps saying more or less that, if you want to make it through camp, they’ll find a way to do it. Even if I have to spend time in a rehab platoon, etc. etc. But other posts I’ve read here seem to be telling me that I may not have a choice. Do the Marines have some kind of hard and fast policy of what they do when stress fractures come up? Even if I’m willing to go through this pain day after day, is there really any kind of guarantee that they’ll let me keep on?

I guess I’d like to hear some numbers. What percentage of those with stress fractures get sent home? Do they have a choice? What percentage of the attrition rate is for stress fractures?

I know I’m asking a question that’s been asked many times before here, and I apologize, but I really haven’t found any solid answers. At my age just stopping what I’m doing at the moment to spend three months in Boot Camp is going to be quite a sacrifice either way, financially and otherwise. So I’m really trying to get a good idea of what I’m looking at.

Any advice on this or anything else would be highly welcome. Thanks Marines.

MSgtBowling
06-16-07, 12:07 AM
If you get through MEPS and make it to Boot Camp, If the pain is "excruciating pain" then the chances are you will not make it. If it is really that big of a problem I believe you would be wasting you time. Suppose you do get through Boot Camp. Can you hump 20 miles with full gear? Can you run with the extra weight of combat gear? Even short distances? We won't even talk about Combat. I am sorry to be harsh, but that is the reality of the Marines.