PDA

View Full Version : Base gate closes temporarily after mine delivery

thedrifter
06-15-07, 07:27 AM
June 15, 2007 - 12:00AM
Base gate closes temporarily after mine delivery

CHRISSY VICK
DAILY NEWS STAFF

A Camp Lejeune civilian contractor delivered an anti-personnel mine to the base Thursday morning, after which the Piney Green gate was closed for more than two hours during rush hour.

The contractor, who was not named by Camp Lejeune authorities, turned over the mine to military police at the gate about 5:30 a.m., according to a press release.

As a precaution, military police closed the gate and called the base Explosive Ordnance Disposal team and the Jacksonville Police Department. The Police Department redirected traffic to the main Camp Lejeune gate, while base EOD examined the mine, the press release said.

No explosives were found inside the device, which was used for training.

The location where the mine was found is under investigation, spokesman 2nd Lt. Craig Thomas said.

"As a safety precaution, the MPs closed down the gate and called EOD," he said. "They had the situation under control within two hours and the gate open at 7:50 a.m."

Camp Lejeune officials are reminding people to leave explosives alone if found.

"If you find something, leave it where it is and call EOD or the Jacksonville Police Department immediately, because it could be dangerous," Craig said. "They will handle the situation from there."

Contact staff writer Chrissy Vick at cvick@freedomenc.com or by calling 353-1171, ext. 8466.

Ellie

thedrifter
06-15-07, 07:43 AM
Anti-personnel mine shuts down Lejeune gate
Staff report
Posted : Thursday Jun 14, 2007 20:10:09 EDT

JACKSONVILLE, N.C. — A gate at Camp Lejeune, N.C., was closed for more than two hours Thursday morning when a civilian contractor turned in an anti-personnel mine he’d found.

The Naval Criminal Investigative Service is investigating where the mine, determined to be a training device not loaded with explosives, came from, according to 2nd Lt. Craig Thomas, a base spokesman.

“I can say it’s not Lejeune’s training device,” Thomas said. “None of our armories are missing training devices.”

The contractor turned the mine in at the Piney Green Gate at 5:30 a.m. As a precaution, officials closed the gate while the base’s explosive ordnance disposal team examined the device. Local civilian authorities redirected traffic to the base’s main gate, about a mile away. The Piney Green Gate reopened shortly before 8 a.m.

Ellie