PDA

View Full Version : Marines Celebrate Return Home From Iraq

thedrifter
06-15-07, 05:31 AM
Marines Celebrate Return Home From Iraq
One of the Largest Beach Parties Ever at Base
LOCAL NEWS

CAMP PENDLETON, June 14, 2007 (KABC-TV) - More than 1,000 U.S. Marines returning from Iraq and their families enjoyed one of the largest beach parties ever held at Camp Pendleton.

The cheers and the applause at the event were completely unexpected for 22-year-old Corporal David Sletten.

"It was a surprise to me, I didn't really expect it but it was really nice," Cpl. David Sletten, of the 15th Marine Expeditionary Unit, said.

A welcome home party at Del Mar Beach within Camp Pendleton, honoring 1,200 military personnel with the 15th Marine Expeditionary Unit, the Landing Team, Second Battalion Fourth Marine Group.

"I'm speechless ... it's been so far away from home. Now it's just amazing," Cpl. Luise Gautman, of the 15th Marine Expeditionary Unit, said.

"I was crying, I look at them, many of them are the age, just a couple of years older than my son, and so it's hard not, as a mother, to imagine you know that there's a guy, you're hugging kids from Iowa and Missouri and I'm just saying 'I'm your mom right now,' really, just hugging, 'welcome home, I'm so glad you're home,'" Deborah Pauly said.

The Marines returned home after serving nearly nine months in Iraq.

"Just care packages and tons of letters and just waiting for that one phone call a month is what kept me going," Melanie Cuevas, who supports the Marines, said.

For some, it was their first time in Iraq.

"I don't ever want to go back there," Cpl. Gautman said.

Many of the Marines and their families say it is truly a welcome homecoming. Officials say they had their stay extended twice in Iraq. They also lost eight fellow Marines.

A special Marine flyover, along with the unfurling of a 95-foot American flag on the beach were gestures to honor the Marines and their families.

The beach-themed party was a chance for the Marines to relax and enjoy life back home. The event was organized by a number of non-profit groups.

"Letting them know we love you, we appreciate you and you're our heroes," Cynthia Martinez, founder of Military Outreach Group, said.

Ellie