PDA

View Full Version : Marines trained to lie?

NCrossley
06-14-07, 02:06 PM
Hello, I'm 21 and have been thinking about joining the Marines for a long time, however, do to many less-than-fortunate situations I had never been able to until now. My father was a Marine as well as his two brothers, so when choosing the service I wanted to enter Marines were on the top of my list. I loved all his stories, whether they were about the hardships he faced in boot camp, or the fun he had in weapons training. At the time he was in service, the only guarantee the Marines made in way of your MOS, was in aviation, and after requesting that to learn something he could use later in life, he was placed in ordinances and didnít serve much time past his minimum service. I have several reasons for my choice to go into service, as well as my choice to go into the Marines. The first and foremost being the present state of our country, and I couldnít ask for a better time to enlist then when the United States needs me the most to do my part, and the Corps would be the best way to do that. Directly under my patriotism is my love of challenge, I want to know that nothing was handed to me, I want to come out of the Marines as a well disciplined and educated man, I want to earn my title as one of the few and the proud. Iíve already spoken to my local recruiter and have made my first trip to the MEPS. I only have a GED and had not passed my sophomore year, so my chances of making it that far were already slim, so I felt extremely lucky and had a strong sense of pride knowing that I was one of the few Tier twos accepted. However, because of this reason I was physically disqualified for the poor condition of my teeth, and told that I would need to get them all pulled and get dentures, or get my high school diploma to be entered into the medical program that the service offers. Not having much money, Iím having a very hard time deciding the next course of action, but have been told by my recruiter that my teeth are the only things holding me back, however, after looking online at several useful resources I believe that is the least of my worries. I felt a little uneasy when I had my first interview with my recruiter, as a minor I was involved in a mishap that led to my arrest and conviction, in addition I was also placed on Wellbutrin, an antidepressant, for a matter of two weeks, I was instructed to lie on my paperwork involving both of these instances. My wavier does not include my arrest, only five speeding tickets, and my medical papers do not include my medication. My recruiter told me that when I went to MEPS, they only know what I tell them, and that theyíd never find out about my arrest or my medication unless it came from my mouth. I figured it was a normal thing, and that all recruits lied about such things, but then I started reading all over the net about stories of liars getting dishonorably discharged weeks before boot camp graduation, from the FBI digging up their ďsealedĒ files from when they were minors. To be honest, I didnít feel the need to even tell my recruiter about my arrest, he ended up finding out about it from sweet-talking someone in the sheriffs office, I was stunned, thinking it was ďoffĒ my record. I donít know what to do now, I thought that it was only my teeth that were holding me back, but now Iím wondering if Iím going to be caught in a lie when I make it back to MEPS, Iím planning on changing my information, but is this going to automatically disqualify me? Are they going to know that I lied when I made my first visit? I just donít know what to do.. Iíve never wanted anything as bad as I want to be in the Marine Corps, I was going to post this under ďAsk a MarineĒ but it appears I donít have access to post in that forum. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.

JinxJr
06-14-07, 02:19 PM
Marines aren't trained to lie. That doesn't mean that we don't have a 10% who may be a little "unscrupulous" in an attempt to acheive their goals. DO NOT LIE when filling out enlistment documents of any kind. You may get away with it for a little while but, if you get an MOS that requires any kind of security clearance, a Local Background Investigation and maybe even an FBI National Agency Check will find you out. Then...you're screwed and will be guilty of fraudulent enlistment. The Recruiter may get jabbed in the shorts but it won't help you any because you sign a legal document stating you told the truth. Weigh your options carefully and do the right thing.

killerinstinct
06-14-07, 04:01 PM
what your dad was a 6531/41???

well i cant think of any better MOS.. I used to hear s-4 tell me oh least ill have a job when i get out and i dont give a flying **** if theyll be able to drive a UPS truck and put together a pallet or check a vehicle out..

but anyways what im saying is ordnance is the best god damn MOS in the Corps.. pay no attn to others they know not what they speak of.

killerinstinct
06-14-07, 04:06 PM
one make sure you have the waiver before goign to meps..

If you dont and you feel uneasy the issue may come up go to the recruiter and tell him you want to get a waiver for it before going to meps you never know if they might say come back in a year etc...

Also in the moment of truth when you get to bootcamp anything that is not listed as a waiver and you tell them you will get kicked out of bootcamp regardless if they say youll be granted immunity whatever. So make sure everything you bring up in bootcamp is in your waivers.

NCrossley
06-14-07, 04:23 PM
Thank you both for your responses. As for my father, working with ordinance just didn't really suit him. I'm also going to try to get myself into aviation, I've always loved jets and am planning on taking full advantage of the educational benefits to get myself working on their engines someday, but I'd be happy just being a grunt, as long as I can do my part.

Quinbo
06-14-07, 04:40 PM
Don't make me throw up the bull **** flag again. Are you sure you aint the guy with 3 eyes and no dick?

NCrossley
06-14-07, 05:26 PM
Don't make me throw up the bull **** flag again. Are you sure you aint the guy with 3 eyes and no dick?

Umm, not sure what exactly this means, but no I'm not. I've got a serious problem and I'd appreciate it if I got serious replies.

FistFu68
06-14-07, 06:25 PM
:evilgrin: PULL THE SAME CHIT,THE LYING BASTARD CLINTON DID;YOU SMOKED MARY-JANE. BUT YOU DIDN'T ENHALE, OR DID YOU???:evilgrin:

Marine84
06-14-07, 06:25 PM
Take it easy Nick - you sound like someone else that had the same problem. It's hard to believe that there's 2 of you but, if that's your story, better stick to it.

First off, like Killerinstinct said, Ordnance is the MOS to have (I was Ordnance and LOVED it!) but, any other Marine in here will tell you that their MOS is.

Secondly, do what you gotta do to get what you wanna get - and I don't mean LIE about it. I told one when I started out and fessed up right before the bus pulled up at MEPS to take me to Parris Island. I had to spend an extra night at MEPS waiting on an "emergency" waiver (I never knew they could process one THAT fast!) - got to PI a day late - but, I GOT that coveted Title and I NEVER had to worry about it again.

The rest is easy to fix too....................get your teeth fixed. Sell freakin glass soda bottles back to stores that pay the deposits on them, cut grass, work something out with a dentist where you can do a payment plan. Do what ya gotta do to get what you wanna get. Find some way to get your diploma. I certainly hope that you have learned from your mistakes - somebody should have kicked your a$$ when you wanted to drop out of High School anyway. I learned in a Management course one time that a lot of companies won't hire anyone without a HS diploma because if they didn't have the motivation to finish High School, they won't have it working for them. Ain't right but, that's the way it is. You should ALWAYS strive to be your best at whatever you do - you have to push yourself, nobody else can.

Marine84
06-14-07, 06:27 PM
OH! And if you ARE that same guy that was in the Poolee Hall - you won't get very different answers in here.

NCrossley
06-14-07, 06:38 PM
Oh believe me Marine84, I'm doing everything I possible can to get everything taken care of. Right now I'm going off what my recruiter told me and looking to WVU and Howard University dental colleges to get myself put on a wiating list. They will usually do pro-bono work for the benefit of the students. And I have certainly learned from my mistakes, dropping out of high school was the worse decision I've ever made, but I've found an online program (excelhighschool) and they have a nice program where you can get an accredited diploma in 3-12 weeks for only $300 dollars, as long as you have your GED (finally that thing is worth something) so I have my recruiter looking into that to make sure it will be an acceptable diploma, this perticular school wasn't flagged as a bad school and lists that the military accepts their diplomas, but obvioulsy I'm making sure that's correct. What my real concern is if this minor "off record" arrest is going to automatically disqualify me, and if it does happen to turn out like that, is there anywhere I can go to get addresses for people I can talk to and try to get help or a "pass" on my situation? From reading the massive amounts of information on usmilitary.about.com (a site I haven't been able to leave since I found it) I'm definately going to clear this incident up on my waiver, I've read several horror stories about people getting the boot before graduation when it could have easily been taken care of on their waiver, so I'm not asking if I should or shouldn't lie, but rather is there even a point in proceeding from where I'm at with this hanging over my head? Or is there no way to tell until I complete my waiver and send it to the proper authorities for approval?

Marine84
06-14-07, 06:55 PM
Do I speak another language? Take care of it BEFORE you waste anyone else's (Recruiter or yours) time.

What do YOU think? Do YOU think it's worth your time to proceed?

NCrossley
06-14-07, 07:03 PM
Look, I need to know if this diploma is going to be accepted BEFORE I waste $300 dollars that I don't freakin have on a program that's not going to do anything for me. If my recruiter doesn't want to help me than that's up to him, but don't tell me that I'm wasting anyones time. I'm broke and I need to know that the choices I'm thinking of are going to get me where I want to be. My recruiter's been extremely helpful throughout this whole process, he's the one that told me about the dentist college to get my teeth fixed up, I don't think I'm wasting his freakin time, am I speaking another language??

Marine84
06-14-07, 07:29 PM
With all due respect, you would be gettin ready to if I were in arms length of your a$$.

Let me write you a little reality check here. Why aren't you working? Hell, I worked before I went in - you're starting to sound like someone that wants somebody else to fix his problem for him. To hell with paying some online (maybe) unaccredited school - get a little bit of humility in your bones and ASK your local High School Principal if you can finish. According to you, you're already at your rock bottom - you got no way to go but up.

Zulu 36
06-14-07, 07:34 PM
Look, I need to know if this diploma is going to be accepted BEFORE I waste $300 dollars that I don't freakin have on a program that's not going to do anything for me. If my recruiter doesn't want to help me than that's up to him, but don't tell me that I'm wasting anyones time. I'm broke and I need to know that the choices I'm thinking of are going to get me where I want to be. My recruiter's been extremely helpful throughout this whole process, he's the one that told me about the dentist college to get my teeth fixed up, I don't think I'm wasting his freakin time, am I speaking another language??

This diploma thing sounds like a fraud to me. There are things called "diploma mills" that hand out degrees for X-amount of dollars. Those degrees are essentially worthless as they are not from an accredited college or university. Same thing with high school.

Basically, if you don't put your butt in a seat for some period of time and earn the diploma/degree the old fashioned way, it is probably bogus.

Yes, there are legit on-line universities (I attend one now), but the work is the same as a "bricks-and-mortar" school, if not harder because you only have you to push.

You can try to check out that diploma thing through your state's department of education. They should be able to tell you if there are problems or it's legit. Personally, I am very suspicious.

NCrossley
06-14-07, 07:44 PM
I know Zulu, I've found a site that lists these fraud schools, and Excel isn't one of them (or so it says), but I'm still taking steps to make sure it is going to be accepted before going into the program.

And to you 84, I don't know who this guy from poolee hall is that everyone seems to compare me to, but don't talk to me like I'm a piece of ****, or like you know a damn thing about the situation I'm in. I'm looking for work, its not easy when you live in Berryville and don't have a license. I'm fixing my own freakin problems, but excuse me for looking for help, I should have known it would end up with me getting yelled and *****ed at, the only thing that seems to happen on internet forums. I'm not asking for anyone to do a damn thing for me, eveything my recruiter is doing, he's doing by CHOICE, he's doing because he sees how bad I want this and he wants to get me into the Corps. I'm not asking anyone to fight my battles for me, I'm looking for some assistance and it's become apparent that I've come to the wrong freakin place, so I'll get out of your hair before you reach through my ****ing screen.

Thanks to everyone with posative comments and tips, they were much appreciated.

Marine84
06-14-07, 07:51 PM
Look - you came in here and told your situation - don't get mad at ME or anybody else in here that doesn't give you the answer you're looking for. You're asking - we're telling you. I can only speak for myself when I say I don't molly coddle anybody and I sure as hell won't sugar coat it for you.

And you won't make ME feel bad for assuming you're somebody else - if it quacks like a duck....................must be a duck!

Zulu 36
06-14-07, 08:09 PM
Thanks to everyone with posative comments and tips, they were much appreciated.
Well, I gave you one positive tip, now here's another. If you're going to be so thin-skinned over the Internet with people who have already passed muster, then perhaps the Marine Corps just isn't for you. I'd hate to see your reaction with a drill instructor in your face live, loud, and in color, especially considering your reaction to a Woman Marine on a blog.

Quinbo
06-14-07, 08:09 PM
Crossley ..... every post of yours makes me think of a kid tying a steak around his neck hoping the wolves will play with him. You asked for it you got it ;)

sgt tony
06-14-07, 11:25 PM
To see about the legal problem you can go and talk with the DA or Judge and askk that these be removed from your record and if you do not make it they can reinstate them. It all depends on you and how you are. (staying out of trouble).
Yes there are some school that will get you a HS deploma. You just need to talk straight with your recurtier and it can happen but it will never be easy to be a Marine.
Best of luck to you and hope this will help.

TRN
06-19-07, 12:04 AM
Disclose everything. You never know when it may come up again.

chili77bowl
07-09-07, 11:23 PM
Well, I gave you one positive tip, now here's another. If you're going to be so thin-skinned over the Internet with people who have already passed muster, then perhaps the Marine Corps just isn't for you. I'd hate to see your reaction with a drill instructor in your face live, loud, and in color, especially considering your reaction to a Woman Marine on a blog.

This is DEFINATELY nicer than what I would have told him...

My words would have been... "Pack Sand.":cool:

Fubar5812
07-10-07, 01:22 PM
hey! i got a G.E.D and when i dropped out of high school sophmore year and i am NOT some loser kid with no job and no life ahead of him.i have a successful job and am in the top 5 of my class at my college,so don't say things like "finally the G.E.D is worth something" G.E.D graduates aren't idiots we just can't handle the atmosphere of school,had to dropout to support a family,bullies,etc,etc i didn't get a very good score on my asvab but on reviewing my college transcripts there letting me re-do it on the basis of "i didn't perform to my expected abilites" basically saying "we know your smart enough to get a better score than this!" im going ordance as well MOS 2111 by the way.

sign up for a community college or something,thats what i'm doing i also work 30 hours a week on top of college in the fall.hell i don't even have a CAR i take the bus until i can afford one.getting a G.E.D is the hard way,so suck it up,perseverace pays off in the end.

Sgt Leprechaun
07-15-07, 08:46 AM
Maaan. Why in gods green ever lovin earth would ANYone go to a forum full of experts and BTDT's and get mouthy/whiny/stupid with same, when asking for help?

Kids these days got no freakin sense, seems like.

I think the new reality series should be "Ultimate Whiners".

Don't like the reaction? It's a free country....LEAVE.

jetdoc
07-15-07, 01:17 PM
I don't know this guy Crossley from Adam, but to me the title of his thread, "Marines trained to lie" got me p/o'd right from jump. The word "Marines....", implying we all lie...If he had said, "A Marine" or "My Marine Recuriter"..blah, blah, blah.

But NOOOOO. Crossley, you started off on the wong foot. I don't know if you're a troll or a flamebaiter, or what? Are you sure you're not some Army dude trying to stir the pot, lol.

If you really are who you say and have the problems you said then there are ways to ask, respectfully, from those who know...us, collectively.

You also said that getting yelled at and fvcked with is the only thing that happens on forums...thats not true. There have been tons of people, old, young, Marine, not Marine, that have come here asking for help and a VAST majority of them got help. I will say most do not start off like you, so if you've had problems on other sites then perhaps the problem is you son?

Do a search, you will see most everyone here that asks questions get replies and its very respectful on both ends. I've helped and advised lots of young Marine pooless and such, search my posts.

yellowwing
07-15-07, 03:39 PM
NCrossley has enough info to go on. PM him if you have more. Closing up.