PDA

View Full Version : Senator's office working to help Midlands vet in his search for treatment

thedrifter
06-14-07, 08:18 AM
Senator's office working to help Midlands vet in his search for treatment

June 13, 2007 10:34 PM

WASHINGTON, D.C. (WIS) - One Midlands man's battle with cancer is hitting the front lines in our nation's capital.

One of South Carolina's top lawmakers is looking into the case of former Marine James Holloway.

It's been one week since we told you about James Holloway. A former Marine who served in the Gulf in the early 90's, now 38, he says terminal cancer is taking a toll on his body and his mind. "It gets to a point where I don't know what I'm doing or what's going on."

Holloway says he failed to fill out some important paperwork when he got out of the military, so now he says he's not getting any benefits from the VA. Holloway's story resonated with viewers.

A number of people donated to a fund set up in Holloway's name. A detachment of Marines from Aiken who gave $500 writes it's "just another example of Marines helping Marines."

A representative with Disabled American Vets, Bryan Kerouc, says his office has been swamped with vets who want to fill out the paperwork Holloway neglected in an effort to help protect themselves. "People have been coming in out of the woodwork filing a claim. That's what we want. That's what it's all about."

Now Holloway's battle is hitting the front lines of Washington. A representative from US Senator Jim DeMint's office talked with Mrs. Holloway. A spokesperson of DeMint's office told Kara that steps are being taken to help the Holloway's get Social Security disability.

A spokesperson of DeMint's office also talked to a doctor with the VA. That doctor is now trying to set up a meeting with the Holloway's to see if there is any avenue in which the VA can help him.

As Kara has researched James Holloway's case, she's uncovered important information that people serving in the Gulf region and their families need to hear, like what injuries are considered Gulf War related. Some vet say they're shocked at how few things are covered.

Plus, once you file a claim, you may be waiting awhile. Kerouc says, "Five years ago, you could get it done in a matter of months. Nowadays if you walk into my office and file a claim, I hope it will get done in a year, year and a half."

Reported by Kara Gormley

Ellie