View Full Version : Retired Marine honored

06-14-07, 05:59 AM
Retired Marine honored
June 14, 2007

A retirement ceremony was held May 25 for 1st Sgt. Aneil R. Campbell, who retired after 23 years and seven months of service as a U.S. Marine.

The ceremony to honor Campbell was at the Community Room at Mallard Point Apartments in Channahon. Campbell was the last first sergeant to serve with Battery B, 1st Battalion, 14th Marine Regiment, 4th Marine Division, Joliet, and the first first sergeant to serve in the newly formed Echo Company, 4th Reconnaissance Battalion, Joliet.

"Even if I wanted to forget this place, I couldn't, after looking at this," Campbell said after being presented with a plaque.

Family and friends congratulated Campbell at a reception after the ceremony.

Campbell was born Aug. 4, 1961, at Scott Air Force Base in Illinois.

He joined the Marine Corps on Dec. 27, 1983, and underwent basic training at Paris Island, S.C. Upon completion of Aviation Electronic Training schools at Millington, Tenn., and Whidbey Island, Wash., he was assigned the military occupation specialty of 6386, Aircraft Electronic Counter Measures Systems Technician for the EA-6B aircraft.

In January 1985, he reported for duty with the Marine Tactical Warfare Squadron 2 at Cherry Point, N.C. During his time there, Campbell participated in two West-Pac deployments at Okinawa, Japan.

He was promoted to corporal (meritoriously) on May 2, 1987. His primary duties were to repair and maintain the electronic receiving and jamming systems on board the EA-6B Prowler. He was also a certified collateral duty inspector.

In March 1988, Campbell reported to Ault Field on Whidbey Island and was assigned to the Avionics Division.

In October 1988, he was reassigned to MAG-42 (VMAQ-4), Detachment C, Whidbey Island. Campbell was assigned as an avionics technician to repair and maintain the electronic receiving and jamming systems onboard the EA-6A aircraft. He was later promoted to sergeant (meritoriously) on Nov. 2, 1989, and selected as Marine of The Year for MAG-42, Detachment C.

In 1991, the unit transitioned to the U.S. Navy EA-6B Prowler in support of Desert Shield/Storm and deployed to the Marine Corps Air Station in Okinawa, Japan.

In August 1992, he was promoted to staff sergeant. During that time, he had also completed requirements and received a bachelors of science degree in professional aeronautics at Embry-Riddle University, and later reported for duty to the Marine air station in Cherry Point, N.C.

Campbell participated in three unit deployments to Okinawa and four deployments to Aviano AFB, Italy, in support of NATO operations during the Kosovo conflict. Campbell was promoted to gunnery sergeant on June 1, 1998, while on deployment in Aviano.

His duties included electronic countermeasures, quality assurance inspector, quality assurance chief and maintenance and material control chief. Campbell also was certified to assign aircrafts as safe for flight.

In May 2002, he became a first sergeant. In August 2002, he reported for duty to Inspector and Instructor Staff, Battery B, 1st Battalion, 14th Marines in Joliet.

Campbell's awards include the Meritorious Service Medal (for outstanding meritorious service while serving as Inspector-Instructor First Sergeant, Battery B, 1st Battalion, 14th Marine Regiment, 4th Marine Division, Joliet from August 2002 to July 2007); Navy and Marine Corps Commendation Medal; Navy Achievement Medal; Volunteer Service Medal and the St. Barber's Medal.

He is divorced and had resided in Minooka with his son, Robert.

Since he retired, Campbell has moved to Cincinnati with his son and has accepted a civilian position as a field service engineer.

At the close of the ceremony, Campbell spoke to everyone, thanking them for coming out to celebrate his retirement.

Campbell's replacement is 1st Sgt. David M. Beall of Las Vegas, Nev. His last duty assignment was with the U.S. Consulate in Lagos, Nigeria. He was assigned there for 18 months.