thedrifter
06-14-07, 05:51 AM
Article published Jun 14, 2007
Cenla native, slain in Iraq last week, returns home
Staff Sgt. Cole a hero in life, death
By Philip Timothy
ptimothy@thetowntalk.com
(31 487-6380
He was a hero in life, and a hero in death.

Army Staff Sgt. Timothy B. Cole Jr., 28, proved to be the epitome of an American hero.

He initially joined the Marine Corps out of high school in 1998 and had served in Afghanistan as part of Operation Enduring Freedom. After leaving the Marines, he joined the Army in August 2005. He deployed for his second tour in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom in August 2006.

Wednesday evening, he returned home to a hero's welcome.

More than 200 people, family and friends, members of various law enforcement agencies and members of the Combat Vets Association, came to Alexandria International Airport to watch as his remains were returned in a special charter jet that came straight from Dover Air Force Base in Delaware.

Cole died this past week after a roadside bomb detonated near his patrol in As Sadah, Iraq. He was a team leader of the 82nd Airborne Division's first airborne reconnaissance squadron out of Fort Bragg, N.C.

"A scout is the toughest job in the Army, and from what I understand he did his job well," said Army Capt. Nelson David, a member of the 82nd Airborne stationed at Fort Bragg, N.C. "To do what he did took a tremendous amount of courage."

A grieving Connie Cole said her son "always chose the hardest, most dangerous jobs. The military was his life; in fact, he wanted to become an Army Ranger and was working towards that goal. In August, he was to be promoted to staff sergeant The Army promoted him posthoumsly to sergeant for saving a soldier's life on that deadly patrol."

"He was a good kid, a leader, a patriot," said Allen Parish Sheriff Harold Brady. "It is a sad day, but a proud day. The saying, 'there is no greater gift than someone who gave his life for his country.' We are all going to miss him."

Oakdale Mayor Bobby Abrusley, a close friend of the Cole family, said: "Oakdale is crying right now. It really hits home when someone you knew loses his life. It is even harder, because Tim and my sons are about the same age. They grew up together and went to school together.

"He loved the military; that was his life," he said. "He also loved his family and his kids. I know this is tough on all of them. Someone asked me what the city was going to do for them, and I said I honestly didn't know yet. But we will do something ... yes, we will surely do something."

Abrusley said he was proud of the town of 8,000. "They've put up posters, ribbons and wreaths. I'm sure a lot of people will turn out for his return and funeral. He was a good kid, well liked."

At 6:45 p.m. his casket was lowered from the plane with family and friends gathered around. Members of the England Air Park Fire and Rescue stood quietly at attention; the 25 vets, standing respectively by the hangar, snapped to attention and saluted, and his honor guard slowly carried his casket to the waiting hearse.

"This (the return of a fallen soldier) is one of the toughest jobs mentally and emotionally we must do, but it is also a great honor to be a part of an honor guard," David said. "I know how tough it is on the family and friends, believe me I know."

On May 31, 2004, he was part of the honor guard for his best friend who was killed in Afghanistan. He was also godfather to two of his friend's children.

Master Sgt. Mike Long, a retired Vietnam veteran and a member of the Combat Vets Association, has also been a part of a number of these somber returns.

"This is my 29th," he said. "We (the Cavalier Motorcycle Club) have been involved with 29 in the past 18 months," he said. "I went to my first in Oklahoma. It is just our way of saying thank you to the family, and to let them know we support them. I consider it a great honor to be here.

"You never get used to it," he said. "Every time I hear taps the tears start."

Led by five motorcycle patrolmen from Alexandria, Pineville and Rapides Parish, the procession passed slowly before well wishers, military and airport personnel, who stood quietly at attention, as it started on the long trip home.

Funeral services for Cole will be held Friday at 3 p.m. in the First Baptist Church of Oakdale with the Rev. Stephen Laughlin and Chaplin Joshua Nutz officiating. He will be laid to rest at the Hampton Memorial Cemetery in Elizabeth.

As the procession started, a small American flag fluttered to the ground - symbolic of the fall of an American hero.

Ellie