PDA

View Full Version : Tapped Navy admiral gives few war views

thedrifter
06-14-07, 05:39 AM
Tapped Navy admiral gives few war views
By Ray Henry
Associated Press

NEWPORT, R.I. - The Navy admiral tapped to become chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff said yesterday that he favored a diplomatic approach in dealing with Iran's pursuit of nuclear weapons, yet he offered few clues on how he would handle the war in Iraq.

Adm. Michael Mullen accused Iran, without being more specific, of giving aid to insurgent forces in Iraq and Afghanistan. Still, he called diplomacy "the right path."

"I'm concerned about what Iran's doing in Iraq and Afghanistan, you know, broadly providing capability to which we are losing American soldiers on the ground and Marines on the ground," he said, "and I consider that not to be acceptable."

The Navy must stay in the Persian Gulf to reassure allies and to maintain its ability to act quickly in a crisis, he said.

"I think we will be there with a strong presence for a long time," he said during a question-and-answer session at the Naval War College in Newport.

Mullen, 60, said little about Iraq while at the college and, during a brief news conference, ducked a question about his strategy there.

Defense Secretary Robert M. Gates recommended Mullen for the chairman's seat after key lawmakers warned that Gen. Peter Pace would face a public grilling if nominated for another term.

Ellie