PDA

View Full Version : The Next Stop is Saigon

fontman
06-13-07, 11:05 AM
The Next Stop is Saigon

All,

I am greatly indebted to my friend Doug for pointing to the following article. It is about a wonderful Marine Corps hero, Chesty Puller. For the few of your who do not know of his exploits, career, or wit, go to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chesty_Puller for a brief bio. As you read the article, keep a few things in mind.

The article was written and published in 1998 about conversations that had taken place in the '50s and '60s. All the commentary about Southeast Asia, Vietnam in particular, related to a war that had not yet been fought. Then see if you can project anything from these wonderful insights about wars and the projection of power to today's challenges, particularly about the Middle East. Enjoy and keep your minds open.

Semper Fidelis,
font

The Next Stop is Saigon
By Colonel William H. Dabney, USMC (Ret)
For the Marine Corps Gazette, June 1998

I met General Lewis B. Puller in the spring of 1957. I was a sergeant on active duty on leave after a Far East tour, and was near the end of my three year hitch. He had recently retired, lived near my home in Virginia, and was a friend of my father. We met at the funeral of a mutual cousin, to which I had worn my uniform because it was the only appropriate attire I had. Because the old church was too small for everyone, the ladies were inside, and the men were gathered around the grave site in quiet conversation. He spotted the uniform and introduced himself in his gruff way, asking me about myself and what I had done in the Corps. I was flattered by his interest, which I later learned extended to all Marines. After the burial, he asked me to come to see him. When I called to follow up on his invitation he asked me for lunch, after which the two of us repaired to the porch with some Virginia bourbon.

My impressions of that afternoon remain vivid. He was reading when I arrived, and there were books scattered all over the house. As we talked, he was unfailingly patient with my ignorance. I was impressed (awed might be a better word) by the breadth and depth of his thinking about geopolitics and military history, and my respect for this aspect of the man deepened as I pursued my own studies at Virginia Military Institute (VMI), Marine Corps schools, and the National War College. In effect, I knew the man before I knew the legend.

The legend, then, does not portray entirely the Marine I knew. He was much more than the medals and 'one liners' for which he is remembered today. I have long felt that to be the Corps' loss because the young men who strive to emulate him today cannot know him for what he really was. God knows we need our heroes. We should not let them be remembered only because they were brave and, as often described himself, lucky.

It is in that spirit that I have written out my recollections of the conversation, for whatever value they may have to the readers of the Gazette.

He had many questions about Okinawa, where the 3d Marine Division had recently moved from Honshu Island, Japan. He was particularly interested in how we trained and how much live-fire training we conducted. When he asked what my plans were, I said I'd been accepted at VMI and intended to return for a career upon graduation. I then asked what he thought was in store for the Marine Corps in the future. He replied that he thought a NATO war unlikely, and we'd probably fight next in Vietnam. He recalled his Marines singing about Saigon as they marched into Hungnam from the Chosin Reservoir in December of 1950. ("So put back your pack on/The next stop is Saigon/'An cheer up me lads/Bless 'em all," as quoted in Robert Leckie's The March to Glory, p. 192.)

Vietnam, he said, was essentially a colonial struggle, unresolved because of the Geneva partition. The Soviets were using it, through support of Ho Chi Minh, to extend Soviet hegemony in the area. In turn, the United States regarded a North Vietnamese attempt to conquer the south as a threat to American interests in accordance with the 'domino theory' - that the loss of South Vietnam risked the eventual loss of all Southeast Asia to the Soviets. The Vietnamese, he suggested, regarded the growing American involvement as offering little more than prospect of one colonial power replacing another.

When I asked how he thought the war would end, he replied, without hesi- tation, "The Red Chinese Army will win it without firing a shot."

That leap of military logic was a bit large for a young buck sergeant to understand, and I asked him to fill in the blanks. He began by regretting that he did not have good maps with which to explain. He then discussed Korea, saying that the decisive force in the war and the subsequent peace was the U.S. Seventh Fleet. This was so because the peninsular geography of Korea restricted the maneuver of large armies, whether North Korean or Chinese. They were forced to attack on narrow fronts where they offered good targets for the superior firepower that American industry could provide, and their flanks and supply lines were always vulnerable from the sea. He said that President Truman's decision to accept a partial victory rather than widen the war into China was correct. We could not have fought two continental campaigns at once, and Europe would therefore have been put at risk.

Additionally, given our maritime superiority, widening the war was unnecessary to achieve our original Korean war objective. That objective, he reminded me, was to prevent a Communist takeover of South Korea by force, not as General MacArthur had later decided, to reunify Korea. He remarked that he considered General MacArthur's decision the classic example of Clausewitz' dictum that war tends to create its own momentum. (He would have agreed, I suspect, with President Bush's decision to stop after liberating Kuwait.)
All great powers want buffer states, and North Korea was precisely that to Red China. It could accept an American army in South Korea, but could not tolerate its approach to the Yalu. Its reaction was understandable and, he said, expected by most Marine and many Army officers at that time.

It was fortunate for Korea, he remarked, that President Rhee had placed South Korean forces under United Nations (effectively American) command. The ultimate right of command was the power to appoint and relieve subordinates, and we had left the South Korean forces in good shape by appointing competent officers who had proved their worth in battle. (I don't believe it occurred to him that we would not insist upon the same command relationship with South Vietnam.)

He ended his discussion of Korea by saying that the Korean War was strategically necessary because, coupled with our military presence in Japan, it ensured our control of all straits leading out of the Sea of Japan, denying the Soviet Pacific Fleet unhindered access to the Pacific. It also gave us, in Japan, a secure offshore base from which to influence events in Northeast Asia as we chose. He reminded me that Admiral Mahan had called Japan "the England of the Pacific."

Before discussing Vietnam, he said that wars should be fought only for vital national interests, and that those interests were few: survival, strategic position (as in Korea), resources/markets or access thereto, and in limited cases, cultural affinity. He suggested that "saving the world for democracy," however it was phrased, had never been acceptable as a vital interest by the American people. Had it been, we'd have joined the League of Nations after World War I. (He remarked to me in 1961, shortly after President Kennedy's inaugural address, that the President's " . . . we shall bear any burden, pay any price, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty," was grand rhetoric, but lousy strategy.) The domino theory was flawed, he said, because China and Russia were and always had been enemies (the Great Wall faces north, he pointed out). The Chinese would view Soviet control of Southeast Asia as an encirclement, and would either deny the Soviets supporting transportation links across China or march to prevent it.

He explained that in redesigning our armed forces after World War II for the strategy of 'Massive Retaliation' made possible by nuclear weapons, we had neglected the forces and training to win a conventional war quickly and decisively. We would need time to reconfigure and retrain them, and would probably commit them piecemeal to Vietnam, which would give a resourceful and determined enemy like Ho Chi Minh time to adjust and fight on.

General Puller believed that Korea and Vietnam posed similar strategic problems. Both were artificially divided. Both North Vietnam and North Korea were, with Soviet sponsorship, intent upon reunification; they both bordered Red China; they both were regarded by her as buffer states. But there were two critical differences.

The strategic difference was that there was no vital American interest in Vietnam. It did not threaten American survival; it was not located where either American or Soviet bases would provide any strategic advantage; we depended on it for neither resources nor markets; we had no cultural links with its people. Consequently, there was even less justification for risking an all-out war with the Red Chinese over Vietnam than there had been over Korea.

The operational difference was that Vietnam was not a peninsula. A large army can always outflank a small army if it has room to maneuver, and the long Chinese border with Vietnam, Laos, and Burma provides that room. Invading North Vietnam risked catastrophe by confronting the huge Red Chinese Army in a continental campaign where our fleet could not be decisive. Should we invade we would "Stand a damn good chance of being pushed into the sea" (his words). The North Vietnamese could not defeat us; but since we could not go north, neither could we defeat them. (When I later asked whether we could do so by bombing, he suggested I read the Strategic Bombing Survey done immediately after World War II, keeping in mind that North Vietnam was an agrarian nation.) Consequently, he said, should we commit forces to Vietnam, we would condemn our troops to a prolonged defensive campaign in South Vietnam in which North Vietnam retained the initiative. He cautioned that a salient characteristic of Asian peoples is patience.
He then observed that democracies do not fight colonial wars well. Such wars tend to be long, he said. Absent a vital interest, the electorate of the democratic power eventually concludes that the marginal benefits of a victory are not worth the cost in casualties. Witness, he said, the British in India and the French in Indochina. The decisions to withdraw were made in London and Paris, respectively, and not by force of arms in the field. He suggested that the same outcome was probable in Algeria and the other European colonies in Africa. In all cases, the defeat was (or would be) not military, but political.

The North Vietnamese understood that reality, he said, having recently been one of its beneficiaries in the 1954 Geneva Accords. They would shape their tactics accordingly. Since a defensive campaign in a place with porous jungle borders would at best result in bloody stalemate, at some point the mothers of Peoria and Pocatello would grow weary of burying their sons and petition their elected representatives to bring them home. North Vietnam would then reunify the country on its terms, and the Red Chinese Army would have won the war without firing a shot. Note: In a later discussion (we had several before his health failed in the late 1960s) he remarked that an eventual rapprochement between America and China was inevitable and essential, and that if we withdrew from Vietnam rather than challenge China, we might create an opening to achieve it. Should that occur, he said, it would profoundly alter the strategic situation of the Soviet Union, which would then face the possibility of a two-front war against a steadily strengthening NATO and an industrializing China.

10thzodiac
06-13-07, 12:43 PM
Excellent Article fontman, I didn't realize Chesty was such an astute visionary.

Now I know why my Gunny (Korean Vet) told us we were going to loose this war [Vietnam] in front of our battalion commander August, 1964, 9th MEB Vietnam.

Thank you, Colonel William H. Dabney http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif

SF

10thz

jetdawgg
06-13-07, 01:03 PM
Great drop sir...:usmc:

HOLM
06-13-07, 03:05 PM
The article was written and published in 1998 about conversations that had taken place in the '50s and '60s. All the commentary about Southeast Asia, Vietnam in particular, related to a war that had not yet been fought. Then see if you can project anything from these wonderful insights about wars and the projection of power to today's challenges, particularly about the Middle East. Enjoy and keep your minds open.

Semper Fidelis,
font

the two that claim to be brilliant independent thinkers just jump right in on this one... :p

Because this Article was introduced in June of 1998 means that it is a very political and very well thought out piece. The whole thing plays right to incidents happening in the US and Iraq in the summer of 1998..

The Iraq Liberation Act of 1998 was introduced on the floor of congress.. Well... 9/29/1998... All of this stuff was in the works and surely would have been talked about a great deal with the top brass in the military...

Operation Desert Crossing was planned in 1998 and conducted in the spring of 1999..... Operation desert Fox (the bombing raid mentioned in this piece ) was conducted in the winter of 1998

OPLAN 1003-98 The plan the many on the left tout as the plan that GW should have stuck with, was originally drafted in 1996, and in the summer of 1998 (read may to july) the plan underwent many changes.

It is a very interesting piece.. and very nicely written... But I don't think anyone who was studied the Iraq war in any real depth could just sit there and say that that piece was not directly about the Iraq war..

I would personally argue that given the culture of the middle east that Iraq (and its central location) is a strategic move...

You know... Wasn't it Chesty that said.. :evilgrin:

They are in front of us, behind us, and we are flanked on both sides by an enemy that outnumbers us 29:1. They can't get away from us now!

or

All right, they're on our left, they're on our right, they're in front of
us, they're behind us...they can't get away this time

or

We're surrounded. That simplifies the problem.

With three Carrier groups in the Persian Gulf as of a few days ago we own the water... Israel is sitting off to the west, and if the chit really hit the fan Syria and Pak's would go down in a hurry.. That would leave Iraq as a great stepping off point into Iran..

That KGB slime Putin is not starting to get upset just because his panties are in a bunch... If we set up a US friendly Iraq we strategically own the middle east...

Baghdad is the capital of the Islamic world..

FistFu68
06-13-07, 03:14 PM
:evilgrin: WILD-BILL-DABNEY,WAS THE CO.OF INDIA/3/26;R.V.N.1968 :evilgrin:

jetdawgg
06-13-07, 04:24 PM
HOLM, I guess you missed this part:

at some point the mothers of Peoria and Pocatello would grow weary of burying their sons and petition their elected representatives to bring them home.

Sound similar to today's war at all? Secondly, this admin couldn't spell plan if you spotted them the P, L, and the A.........

HOLM
06-13-07, 04:58 PM
Jet, you crack me up...

You knew that piece was written straight up about the Iraq war and so did I... I just kept connecting the dots for you.. I am sorry you don't like where the line leads to.. But what can I do?

Why where you two anti war knuckle heads were the first two to jump right in and start singing?

Its to bad you didn't realize that he was trying to question Clinton, then ya took the opportunity to just throw in another Bush bashing episode.....

jetdawgg
06-13-07, 05:02 PM
P- L- A-.......

They don't have one yet. We are still getting more of the same BS.....500BB and still counting.........

Good thing this is a 'conservative' admin:usmc:

HOLM
06-13-07, 05:18 PM
Open your history book and read about Lincoln... Or Truman..

You just quoted darn near all of the newspapers from 1864 and 1945...

Or just show me one war... Or battle that went according to plan..

Iwo was supossed to take 3 to 5 days... How long did that go on again?

You cry and whine more than any thing I have ever seen..

There are so many good reasons to be anti war that don't require you to spew back crapp that is plastered all over evey anti American/ communist press in the world..

But does that stop you from repeating this garbage.. Nope... On and on you go puking back any piece of trash that you can find that says Bush is bad.. The US is bad.. The Iraq war is evil because Bush is evil..

Spare me...

Right in this piece it is quoted..

Before discussing Vietnam, he said that wars should be fought only for vital national interests, and that those interests were few: survival, strategic position (as in Korea), resources/markets or access thereto, and in limited cases, cultural affinity.

:p

Now given that the left cries and whines and carries on about "the war for oil" Don't we need oil... With russia threatening us.. With AQ on a mission to end us... With Iran seeking to wipe all "zionists" and her allies off the map. Is OIL not one of the strategic reasources that we are going to need if we are to continue... All of that being said, if you believe this is a war for oil :p

10thzodiac
06-13-07, 05:26 PM
Colonel Dabney's Navy Cross <br />
<br />
<br />
Lexington, Virginia. On April 15, 2005 Colonel William H. Dabney, USMC (Ret) was awarded the Navy Cross in a ceremony at Virginia Military Institute for actions 37...

HOLM
06-13-07, 08:18 PM
Frign awesome story 10z... Almost as good as the lead into this thread..

You are an interesting character for sure...

I hope that some day you find your utopia...

10thzodiac
06-13-07, 09:42 PM
Frign awesome story 10z... Almost as good as the lead into this thread..

You are an interesting character for sure...

I hope that some day you find your utopia...

Sorry not to leave you any slack. Maybe its not me that has everything twisted after-all ?

Just think, Chesty thought Vietnam and Korea un-winnable and as you aptly pointed out the article suggest direct comparison to the Iraq war, uh-oh !

What's with these Marine Generals ?: http://www.hackworth.com/23mar99.html

BTW HOLM, don't try disparaging the author of the above URL, he has Eight Purple Hearts. Ten Silver Stars. Twice awarded the Distinguished Service Cross. And now a virtual shoe-in for the Medal of Honor. You name the honor, Colonel David Hackworth got it. http://www.hackworth.com/

HOLM
06-13-07, 10:15 PM
Touche'

But we had... popular support in Iraq when the crapp started flying.. This was Clinton's plan.. ( i know you are about to quote a general who opposed) and we still could have it if we didn't have a bunch of limp wristed idiots in DC... Like we are to them the Arab/Persian Nations are not exactly honest with us... I dunno if that is factored in quite as much as it should be...

I just don't like anything about the way that piece was written or played out here though.. I don't like seeing it presented like it was written totally from a "what if" standpoint, because it wasn't.. Being presented in 1998 meant that it was very much written to prove a point.. Not that it was Ancient history that now closely parallels modern times..

I have been reading through more and more of Hackworth's stuff as a bedtime read...

Some of it it pretty interesting I must say... But after that nice punch you just landed... I thought I would qoute the man

I would have posted the whole piece... which you would like 1oz... But it is laced with smileys to prevent that ...

Here is a link you will like..

http://www.hackworth.com/archive.html

We Can Still Win

http://www.sftt.us/dwa/hackworth.jpg

In my judgment, the war in Iraq against the insurgents is still winnable: if Saudi Arabia, Syria and Iran are told to stop supporting the insurgents or else; if we get enough boots on the ground ASAP to saturate and dominate the badlands; and if the brass allow the small-unit leaders to do their thing without the obsessive micromanagement that infects our Army

yellowwing
06-13-07, 10:26 PM
Aw Holm, you ain't fightin fair invoking Col Hackworth! To emulate the Good Colonel's plan someone in the Beltway has to grow some serious cajones to squeeze Syria, Saud, and Iran. Our BN Commanders are making sporadic headway cutting deals with the local chieftains to whack Al Qaeda. Good plan on our troops part.

HOLM
06-13-07, 10:31 PM
Ok 10zz I found the one I was looking for...:D

DEFENDING AMERICA
David H. Hackworth
December 29, 1998

OPERATION DESERT FLOP

Happy New Year. But wait a minute -- is that Saddam Hussein standing there in the middle of the Iraqi desert giving us the double bird? Or is he just heralding 1999 in some traditional Iraqi way?

For eight years the U.S. has bombed and bad mouthed the Beast of Baghdad. We've virtually closed down his imports and oil business. Yet, like herpes, he just won't go away.

Our frustrated troops, who've now put more time in the Gulf than an Iraqi date farmer, don't call Bill Clinton's latest attempt to erase Saddam Operation Desert Fox. Nope -- to them it's Operation Desert Flop.

A former B-1 bomber pilot gave this latest military floparooty of the Clinton administration another title: Operation Free Willy.

Regardless of what you call it and its underlying purpose, the bottom line is that it was a military disaster. Little was accomplished except wasting a lot of money on what turned out to be the most expensive demolition job in history.

Saddam, last seen on TV ranting and railing while wading through the rubble, appears to have put it over on us kind of like the way Rodney King did with the billy-club swinging LAPD.

This latest disaster wasn't our troops fault. They deployed flawlessly and then executed a difficult high risk operation with precision and professionalism.

The problem was that once again Clinton sent American warriors into danger on a flawed military operation that didn't have a prayer of accomplishing its mission.

I don't give the top brass high marks either. They should have challenged the President's harebrained plan, told him it wouldn't accomplish zilch and that in the end things would only be worse. If Clinton then insisted on launching, the Chiefs should have done the right thing and resigned en masse.

When was the last time a general or admiral resigned over principle?
Nothing would get a draft dodger's attention during a military heat-up like stars being slapped down on a desk and the words "I quit" echoing through the White House halls.

Now as the New Year jumps off, Saddam's warned Clinton that if U.S. planes enter Iraqi airspace -- in accordance with the 1991 peace arrangement paid for by American blood, gold and sacrifice -- he'll blow them out of the sky.

Saddam's also said the UN weapons inspectors are persona non grata.
Once he's cleared the decks, Saddam can merrily begin 1999 doing a few of his favorite things -- by rebuilding his weapons plants and his military machine.

He could be back making germ and chemical weapons of mass destruction in a few months and be up to his old neighbor-menacing tricks within a year.
Clinton told the nation last year that the weapons inspection program did more to reduce Saddam's weapons of mass destruction than the 88,000 tons of bombs dropped during Operation Desert Storm. And now his ineptness has closed down the very same inspection program he praised.
Just before Operation Desert Fox, Clinton told the nation, "Their mission is to attack Iraq's nuclear, chemical and biological weapons programs and its military capacity to threaten its neighbors." But according to Defense Secretary William Cohen, no plants manufacturing weapons of mass destruction were attacked.
What gives?

Maybe, as was the case during the Vietnam War, the White House and Pentagon are singing off different sheets of music while the Joint Staff generals and admirals are humming their time-honored Go-Along-To-Get-Along backup chorus.

Bombs alone -- even smart ones -- can't destabilize an Evil Empire. Massive bombing campaigns alone failed to prevail over the Nazis, North Koreas and Communists Vietnamese. The only bombs that ever brought a war to an end were the two A-bombs dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

After the religious holiday Ramadan -- mid January -- expect our bombs to rain down on Iraq once again. Except that to win this time around, it shouldn't be another light shower but a sustained bombing storm coupled with a multidivisional ground attack.

Again the timing will be excellent for Clinton. The Senate will be doing their impeachment show and tell, and the high tech aerial Atari game will provide welcome relief for this nation's TV addicts and ever-hungry news channels.
I sometimes wonder if Saddam Hussein hasn't joined James Carville on the Clinton payroll.
End.

That is the bad thing about putting everything in writting..

HOLM
06-13-07, 10:35 PM
Oh... The stuff he said in 1998... <br />
<br />
<br />
DEFENDING AMERICA <br />
David H. Hackworth <br />
January 12, 1999 <br />
HIT SADDAM WITH A RULER <br />
While impeachment bombs explode in the Senate this week, expect...

HOLM
06-13-07, 10:39 PM
Aw Holm, you ain't fightin fair invoking Col Hackworth! To emulate the Good Colonel's plan someone in the Beltway has to grow some serious cajones to squeeze Syria, Saud, and Iran..

DAMN STRAIGHT..

WHile to this day I still think this war is and was the right thing to do... I have no love for Bush or any of that stupid chit they (all of them both the D's and the R's) are getting away with..

yellowwing
06-13-07, 10:43 PM
Okay then, for four years we've had multi divisions of boots on the ground and massive air power that has 99.999% superiority.

Still Auntie Hawkins in Peoria is worried to death about her nephew in Al Anbar. Two thirds of her Wednesday sewing circle have lost the faith. It ain't Bill's fault.

yellowwing
06-13-07, 10:46 PM
I still think GWB should say "Screw it! Mobilize another 750,000 for 18 months and lets be done with it." What's he got to lose?

Pelosi will go for paying for it if she gets some domestic billions to spread around.

HOLM
06-13-07, 10:48 PM
Okay then, for four years we've had multi divisions of boots on the ground and massive air power that has 99.999% superiority.

Still Auntie Hawkins in Peoria is worried to death about her nephew in Al Anbar. Two thirds of her Wednesday sewing circle have lost the faith. It ain't Bill's fault.

As Chesty said.. (now I know this ain't fair)

Absent a vital interest, the electorate of the democratic power eventually concludes that the marginal benefits of a victory are not worth the cost in casualties

Lincoln had to deal with the sewing circle problem.... Truman had the same problem...

But I just do NOT see Iraq as mariginal in this conflict with AQ..

If we hand them the place they will declare victrory... That will embolden them... And unlike the NVA.. These bastards have already attacked us..

HOLM
06-13-07, 10:49 PM
I still think GWB should say "Screw it! Mobilize another 750,000 for 18 months and lets be done with it." What's he got to lose?

Pelosi will go for paying for it if she gets some domestic billions to spread around.

No need for that... just untie the hands of the Marines that are already there...

greensideout
06-13-07, 10:59 PM
And you will lead the way? I grow weary reading how others want to send Marines into combat. Bottom line, it's a dumb azz war just like Nam!

Dave Coup
06-13-07, 11:42 PM
Marines are already in combat, justlet them do thier job. And yes, if they'd accept an old fart I would gladly lead them.

SF
Dave

yellowwing
06-14-07, 12:27 AM
Its VERY realy odd, Hey Congress..Hey America.. Do you mind if we kill these people that are trying to blow our brains out?

yellowwing
06-14-07, 12:44 AM
Marines are already in combat, just let them do their job. And yes, if they'd accept an old fart I would gladly lead them.

SF
Dave
Okay Coup, here's my thing, I know I got the heart and soul to believe and act to to close with and destroy the enemy. If you want a fight count on me. I DONT'T KNOW THE CURRENT COMMON WEAPONS AND TACTICS TO DO IT.

Personally REALLY I don't' know if a box of M60 rounds will fit a modern 260G gun.

So what do I got left? My guts and my faith.

10thzodiac
06-14-07, 05:43 AM
"Chesty" Puller's Marine officer son's unambiguous praise for John Kerry !

[quote] "One articulate young combat veteran named John Kerry delivered a moving address before a special session of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee that, for me [Lt. Puller], summed up the sense of betrayal and the disillusionment I felt toward the administration and the leadership that had directed the course of the war from the safety of its Washington power base." [Un-quote]

Puller's own experiences as a young platoon leader in Vietnam had tragic consequences. He returned home after three months legless and missing most of his fingers. (He also became an alcoholic and 3 years after winning the Pulitzer for his book, committed suicide.) His autobiography traces his grueling rehabilitation and gradual realization that "I had given myself to a cause that, in addition to having robbed me of my of my youth and left me crippled and deformed, allowed me no pride for having been a participant."

Lewis B. Puller, Jr.
First Lieutenant, United States Marine Corps
http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/puller.htm

jetdawgg
06-14-07, 10:32 AM
His autobiography traces his grueling rehabilitation and gradual realization that "I had given myself to a cause that, in addition to having robbed me of my of my youth and left me crippled and deformed, allowed me no pride for having been a participant."

With that stated, let's pour another 500BB into this quagmire.....

HOLM
06-14-07, 10:46 AM
I think we should get back to dissusioning the brillance of a piece that almost word for word described events in and about Iraq in 1998... Yet never mentioned Iraq or the middle east once..

And then found it way to getting published in a Marine Corps Mag. While the Iraq thing was really starting to become a big deal in 1998...

It is interesting that Hackworth talked about the Clinton failed policy in Iraq over the last what did he say SEVEN years... Well now.. I don't think all that blame goes to Clinton...

Written in 1998...

Besides wearing out our military, we've spent enough dough battling Saddam since 1990 to give every American a new four-wheel-drive Jeep Cherokee, a high-definition TV and a desktop computer. Yet we're still on first base with Saddam totally in control of the pitcher's mound.

Some things never change...

10thzodiac
06-14-07, 10:50 AM
I think we should get back to dissusioning the brillance of a piece that almost word for word described events in and about Iraq in 1998... Yet never mentioned Iraq or the middle east once..

And then found it way to getting published in a Marine Corps Mag. While the Iraq thing was really starting to become a big deal in 1998...

It is interesting that Hackworth talked about the Clinton failed policy in Iraq over the last what did he say SEVEN years... Well now.. I don't think all that blame goes to Clinton...

Written in 1998...

Besides wearing out our military, we've spent enough dough battling Saddam since 1990 to give every American a new four-wheel-drive Jeep Cherokee, a high-definition TV and a desktop computer. Yet we're still on first base with Saddam totally in control of the pitcher's mound.

Some things never change...

Welome aboard HOLM http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif

jetdawgg
06-14-07, 10:56 AM
http://www.geocities.com/HotSprings/Villa/5056/scooby.gif

Dwrupppppp!!!!!

Welome aboard HOLM http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif

HOLM
06-14-07, 11:22 AM
If those SOB's Over there knew that we had enough heat to turn that whole great big sandbox into a great frign big sheet of glass... We would certainly have more respect in the area, both in the positive and negative sense...

But We sure can't do that sitting around kissing ass at the UN and worrying about what the rest of the idiots on the planet thought about us..

So don't think you have sucked me to the dark side yet... Because I still think I see this OIF thing dramatically different than ya'll...

Putin is ****ed off because the Iranians just got caught redhanded shipping weapons to Afgan, at the same time we moved ANOTHER Carrier fleet to the persian Gulf.. make three total now... and Around 17000 US Marines if my math is correct..... And he knows that even with the mess in Iraq we still own the upper hand in the area... The commies in Russia have been begging for an Ass Kicking since before WW2. And with the KGB running that country right now... They just might end up with the fight they are looking for..

Don't forget to factor that into your Iraq plan...

Putin can't be happy about what we have done in Afgan.. and My Guess is that he really wouldn't like a US success in Iraq...

It is time to start calling a Spade a Spade...

jetdawgg
06-14-07, 11:53 AM
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u17/jetdawgg/resize.jpghttp://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u17/jetdawgg/bulldog-1.jpghttp://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u17/jetdawgg/Marines.jpg

ggyoung
06-14-07, 12:20 PM
For more on Col. Dabney goto Warriors of Hill 881 south;12-26-67 tp 04-18-68

10thzodiac
06-14-07, 10:23 PM
If those SOB's Over there knew that we had enough heat to turn that whole great big sandbox into a great frign big sheet of glass... We would certainly have more respect in the area, both in the positive and negative sense...

But We sure can't do that sitting around kissing ass at the UN and worrying about what the rest of the idiots on the planet thought about us..

So don't think you have sucked me to the dark side yet... Because I still think I see this OIF thing dramatically different than ya'll...

Putin is ****ed off because the Iranians just got caught redhanded shipping weapons to Afgan, at the same time we moved ANOTHER Carrier fleet to the persian Gulf.. make three total now... and Around 17000 US Marines if my math is correct..... And he knows that even with the mess in Iraq we still own the upper hand in the area... The commies in Russia have been begging for an Ass Kicking since before WW2. And with the KGB running that country right now... They just might end up with the fight they are looking for..

Don't forget to factor that into your Iraq plan...

Putin can't be happy about what we have done in Afgan.. and My Guess is that he really wouldn't like a US success in Iraq...

It is time to start calling a Spade a Spade...

Can we hear the Fourth Reich Speech now ? http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/tsmileys2/11.gif

HOLM
06-14-07, 10:32 PM
Sure 10z... If you have been listening you would have already heard that bastard from Iran delivering it on a daily basis...

greensideout
06-14-07, 11:03 PM
Its VERY realy odd, Hey Congress..Hey America.. Do you mind if we kill these people that are trying to blow our brains out?

Let me try to get this straight, Iraq was about to attack America?

Dave Coup
06-14-07, 11:19 PM
Wing' I'm probably pretty much SOL as to new weapons and tactics but I can promise not to fall out. SF

SF Dave

10thzodiac
06-14-07, 11:22 PM
Sure 10z... If you have been listening you would have already heard that bastard from Iran delivering it on a daily basis...

HOLM, is this one of them:

Ahmadinejad's Letter to Bush

Tuesday, May 9, 2006; 2:54 PM

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad has written President Bush an 18-page letter discussing religious values, history and international relations. Following is an unofficial translation from the original written in Farsi:
"Mr. George Bush, president of the United States of America
For some time now, I have been thinking, how one can justify the undeniable contradictions that exist in the international arena -- which are being constantly debated, especially in political forums and amongst university students. Many questions remain unanswered. Those have prompted me to discuss some of the contradictions and questions, in the hopes that it might bring about an opportunity to redress them.
Can one be a follower of Jesus Christ (Peace Be Upon Him), the great Messenger of God,
Feel obliged to respect human rights,
Present liberalism as a civilization model,
Announce one's opposition to the proliferation of nuclear weapons and WMDs,
Make "War on Terror" his slogan,
And finally,
work towards the establishment of an unified international community -- a community which Christ and the virtuous of the Earth will one day govern,
But at the same time,
Have countries attacked. The lives, reputations and possessions of people destroyed and on the slight chance of the presence of a few criminals in a village, city, or convoy for example, the entire village, city or convoy set ablaze.
Or because of the possibility of the existence of WMDs in one country, it is occupied, around 100,000 people killed, its water sources, agriculture and industry destroyed, close to 180,000 foreign troops put on the ground, sanctity of private homes of citizens broken, and the country pushed back perhaps 50 years. At what price? Hundreds of billions of dollars spent from the treasury of one country and certain other countries and tens of thousands of young men and women -- as occupation troops -- put in harms way, taken away from family and loved ones, their hands stained with the blood of others, subjected to so much psychological pressure that everyday some commit suicide and those returning home suffer depression, become sickly and grapple with all sorts of ailments; while some are killed and their bodies handed to their families.
On the pretext of the existence of WMDs, this great tragedy came to engulf both the peoples of the occupied and the occupying country. Later it was revealed that no WMDs existed to begin with.
Of course, Saddam was a murderous dictator. But the war was not waged to topple him, the announced goal of the war was to find and destroy weapons of mass destruction. He was toppled along the way towards another goal; nevertheless the people of the region are happy about it. I point out that throughout the many years of the imposed war on Iran Saddam was supported by the West.
Mr. President,
You might know that I am a teacher. My students ask me how can these actions be reconciled with the values outlined at the beginning of this letter and duty to the tradition of Jesus Christ (Peace Be Upon Him), the Messenger of peace and forgiveness?
There are prisoners in Guantanamo Bay that have not been tried, have no legal representation, their families cannot see them and are obviously kept in a strange land outside their own country. There is no international monitoring of their conditions and fate. No one knows whether they are prisoners, POWs, accused or criminals.
European investigators have confirmed the existence of secret prisons in Europe too. I could not correlate the abduction of a person, and him or her being kept in secret prisons, with the provisions of any judicial system. For that matter, I fail to understand how such actions correspond to the values outlined in the beginning of this letter, i.e. the teachings of Jesus Christ (Peace Be Upon Him), human rights and liberal values.
Young people, university students, and ordinary people have many questions about the phenomenon of Israel. I am sure you are familiar with some of them.
Throughout history, many countries have been occupied, but I think the establishment of a new country with a new people, is a new phenomenon that is exclusive to our times.
Students are saying that 60 years ago such a country did not exist. They show old documents and globes and say try as we have, we have not been able to find a country named Israel.
I tell them to study the history of WWI and II. One of my students told me that during WWII, which more than tens of millions of people perished in, news about the war, was quickly disseminated by the warring parties. Each touted their victories and the most recent battlefront defeat of the other party. After the war they claimed that six million Jews had been killed. Six million people that were surely related to at least two million families. Again let us assume that these events are true. Does that logically translate into the establishment of the state of Israel in the Middle East or support for such a state? How can this phenomenon be rationalized or explained?
Mr. President,
I am sure you know how -- and at what cost -- Israel was established:
-- Many thousands were killed in the process.
-- Millions of indigenous people were made refugees.
-- Hundreds of thousands of hectares of farmland, olive plantations, towns and villages were destroyed.
This tragedy is not exclusive to the time of establishment; unfortunately it has been ongoing for 60 years now.
A regime has been established which does not show mercy even to kids, destroys houses while the occupants are still in them, announces beforehand its list and plans to assassinate Palestinian figures, and keeps thousands of Palestinians in prison. Such a phenomenon is unique -- or at the very least extremely rare -- in recent memory.
Another big question asked by the people is "why is this regime being supported?"
Is support for this regime in line with the teachings of Jesus Christ (Peace Be Upon Him) or Moses (Peace Be Upon Him) or liberal values?
Or are we to understand that allowing the original inhabitants of these lands -- inside and outside Palestine -- whether they are Christian, Muslim or Jew, to determine their fate, runs contrary to principles of democracy, human rights and the teachings of prophets? If not, why is there so much opposition to a referendum?
The newly elected Palestinian administration recently took office. All independent observers have confirmed that this government represents the electorate. Unbelievingly, they have put the elected government under pressure and have advised it to recognize the Israeli regime, abandon the struggle and follow the programs of the previous government.
If the current Palestinian government had run on the above platform, would the Palestinian people have voted for it? Again, can such position taken in opposition to the Palestinian government be reconciled with the values outlined earlier? The people are, also asking "why are all UNSC resolutions in condemnation of Israel vetoed?"
Mr. President,
As you are well aware, I live amongst the people and am in constant contact with them -- many people from around the Middle East manage to contact me as well. They do not have faith in there dubious policies either. There is evidence that the people of the region are becoming increasingly angry with such policies.
It is not my intention to pose too many questions, but I need to refer to other points as well.
Why is it that any technological and scientific achievement reached in the Middle East region is translated into and portrayed as a threat to the Zionist regime? Is not scientific R&D one of the basic rights of nations?
You are familiar with history. Aside from the Middle Ages, in what other point in history has scientific and technical progress been a crime? Can the possibility of scientific achievements being utilized for military purposes be reason enough to oppose science and technology altogether? If such a supposition is true, then all scientific disciplines, including physics, chemistry, mathematics, medicine, engineering, etc, must be opposed.
Lies were told in the Iraqi matter. What was the result? I have no doubt that telling lies is reprehensible in any culture, and you do not like to be lied to.
Mr. President,
Don't Latin Americans have the right to ask why their elected government are being opposed and coup leaders supported? Or, Why must they constantly be threatened and live in fear?
The people of Africa are hard-working, creative and talented. They can play an important and valuable role in providing for the needs of humanity and contribute to its material and spiritual progress. Poverty and hardship in large parts of Africa are preventing this from happening. Don't they have the right to ask why their enormous wealth -- including minerals -- is being looted, despite the fact that they need it more than others?
Again, do such actions correspond to the teachings of Christ and the tenets of human rights?
The brave and faithful people of Iran too have many questions and grievances, including: the coup d'etat of 1953 and the subsequent toppling of the legal government of the day, opposition to the Islamic revolution, transformation of an Embassy into a headquarters supporting the activities of those opposing the Islamic Republic (many thousands of pages of documents corroborate this claim), support for Saddam in the war waged against Iran, the shooting down of the Iranian passenger plane, freezing the assets of the Iranian nation, increasing threats, anger and displeasure vis-a-vis the scientific and nuclear progress of the Iranian nation (just when all Iranians are jubilant and celebrating their country's progress), and many other grievances that I will not refer to in this letter.
Mr. President,
September Eleven was a horrendous incident. The killing of innocents is deplorable and appalling in any part of the world. Our government immediately declared its disgust with the perpetrators and offered its condolences to the bereaved and expressed its sympathies.
All governments have a duty to protect the lives, property and good standing of their citizens. Reportedly your government employs extensive security, protection and intelligence systems -- and even hunts its opponents abroad. September eleven was not a simple operation. Could it be planned and executed without coordination with intelligence and security services -- or their extensive infiltration? Of course this is just an educated guess. Why have the various aspects of the attacks been kept secret? Why are we not told who botched their responsibilities? And, why aren't those responsible and the guilty parties identified and put on trial?
All governments have a duty to provide security and peace of mind for their citizens. For some years now, the people of your country and neighbors of world trouble spots do not have peace of mind. After 9.11, instead of healing and tending to the emotional wounds of the survivors and the American people -- who had been immensely traumatized by the attacks -- some Western media only intensified the climate of fear and insecurity -- some constantly talked about the possibility of new terror attacks and kept the people in fear. Is that service to the American people? Is it possible to calculate the damages incurred from fear and panic?
American citizens lived in constant fear of fresh attacks that could come at any moment and in any place. They felt insecure in the street, in their place of work and at home. Who would be happy with this situation? Why was the media, instead of conveying a feeling of security and providing peace of mind, giving rise to a feeling of insecurity?
Some believe that the hype paved the way -- and was the justification -- for an attack on Afghanistan. Again I need to refer to the role of media. In media charters, correct dissemination of information and honest reporting of a story are established tenets. I express my deep regret about the disregard shown by certain Western media for these principles. The main pretext for an attack on Iraq was the existence of WMDs. This was repeated incessantly -- for the public to finally believe -- and the ground set for an attack on Iraq.
Will the truth not be lost in a contrived and deceptive climate? Again, if the truth is allowed to be lost, how can that be reconciled with the earlier mentioned values?
Is the truth known to the Almighty lost as well?
Mr. President,
In countries around the world, citizens provide for the expenses of governments so that their governments in turn are able to serve them.
The question here is "what has the hundreds of billions of dollars, spent every year to pay for the Iraqi campaign, produced for the citizens?"
As Your Excellency is aware, in some states of your country, people are living in poverty. Many thousands are homeless and unemployment is a huge problem. Of course these problems exist -- to a larger or lesser extent -- in other countries as well. With these conditions in mind, can the gargantuan expenses of the campaign -- paid from the public treasury -- be explained and be consistent with the aforementioned principles?
What has been said, are some of the grievances of the people around the world, in our region and in your country. But my main contention -- which I am hoping you will agree to some of it -- is:
Those in power have a specific time in office and do not rule indefinitely, but their names will be recorded in history and will be consistently judged in the immediate and distant futures.
The people will scrutinize our presidencies. Did we manage to bring peace, security and prosperity for the people or insecurity and unemployment?
Did we intend to establish justice or just supported special interest groups, and by forcing many people to live in poverty and hardship made a few people rich and powerful -- thus trading the approval of the people and the Almighty with theirs?
Did we defend the rights of the underprivileged or ignore them?
Did we defend the rights of all people around the world or imposed wars on them, interfered illegally in their affairs, established hellish prisons and incarcerated some of them?
Did we bring the world peace and security or raised the specter of intimidation and threats?
Did we tell the truth to our nation and others around the world or presented an inverted version of it?
Were we on the side of people or the occupiers and oppressors?
Did our administrations set out to promote rational behavior, logic, ethics, peace, fulfilling obligations, justice, service to the people, prosperity, progress and respect for human dignity or the force of guns, Intimidation, insecurity, disregard for the people, delaying the progress and excellence of other nations, and trample on people's rights?
And finally, they will judge us on whether we remained true to our oath of office -- to serve the people, which is our main task, and the traditions of the prophets -- or not?
Mr. President,
How much longer can the world tolerate this situation?
Where will this trend lead the world to?
How long must the people of the world pay for the incorrect decisions of some rulers?
How much longer will the specter of insecurity -- raised from the stockpiles of weapons of mass destruction -- hunt the people of the world?
How much longer will the blood of the innocent men, women and children be spilled on the streets, and people's houses destroyed over their heads?
Are you pleased with the current condition of the world?
Do you think present policies can continue?
If billions of dollars spent on security, military campaigns and troop movement were instead spent on investment and assistance for poor countries, promotion of health, combating different diseases, education and improvement of mental and physical fitness, assistance to the victims of natural disasters, creation of employment opportunities and production, development projects and poverty alleviation, establishment of peace, mediation between disputing states, and extinguishing the flames of racial, ethnic and other conflicts, were would the world be today? Would not your government and people be justifiably proud?
Would not your administration's political and economic standing have been stronger?
And I am most sorry to say, would there have been an ever increasing global hatred of the American government?
Mr. President, it is not my intention to distress anyone.
If Prophet Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Ishmael, Joseph, or Jesus Christ (Peace Be Upon Him) were with us today, how would they have judged such behavior? Will we be given a role to play in the promised world, where justice will become universal and Jesus Christ (Peace Be Upon Him) will be present? Will they even accept us?
My basic question is this: Is there no better way to interact with the rest of the world? Today there are hundreds of millions of Christians, hundreds of millions of Muslims and millions of people who follow the teachings of Moses (Peace Be Upon Him). All divine religions share and respect one word and that is "monotheism" or belief in a single God and no other in the world.
The Holy Koran stresses this common word and calls on all followers of divine religions and says: (3.64) Say: O followers of the Book! come to an equitable proposition between us and you that we shall not serve any but Allah and (that) we shall not associate aught with Him, and (that) some of us shall not take others for lords besides Allah; but if they turn back, then say: Bear witness that we are Muslims. (The Family of Imran)
Mr. President,
According to divine verses, we have all been called upon to worship one God and follow the teachings of divine Prophets.
"To worship a God which is above all powers in the world and can do all He pleases." "the Lord which knows that which is hidden and visible, the past and the future, knows what goes on in the Hearts of His servants and records their deeds."
"The Lord who is the possessor of the heavens and the earth and all universe is His court" "planning for the universe is done by His hands, and gives His servants the glad tidings of mercy and forgiveness of sins" "He is the companion of the oppressed and the enemy of oppressors" "He is the Compassionate, the Merciful" "He is the recourse of the faithful and guides them towards the light from darkness" "He is witness to the actions of His servants" "He calls on servants to be faithful and do good deeds, and asks them to stay on the path of righteousness and remain steadfast" "Calls on servants to heed His prophets and He is a witness to their deeds" "A bad ending belongs only to those who have chosen the life of this world and disobey Him and oppress His servants" and "A good land and eternal paradise belong to those servants who fear His majesty and do not follow their lascivious selves."
We believe a return to the teachings of the divine prophets is the only road leading to salvation and have been told that Your Excellency follows the teachings of Jesus (Peace Be Upon Him) and believes in the divine promise of the rule of the righteous on Earth.
We also believe that Jesus Christ (Peace Be Upon Him) was one of the great prophets of the Almighty. He has been repeatedly praised in the Koran. Jesus (Peace Be Upon Him) has been quoted in Koran as well: (19.36) And surely Allah is my Lord and your Lord, therefore serve Him; this is the right path.
Service to and obedience of the Almighty is the credo of all divine messengers.
The God of all people in Europe, Asia, Africa, America, the Pacific and the rest of the world is one. He is the Almighty who wants to guide and give dignity to all His servants. He has given greatness to Humans.
We again read in the Holy Book: "The Almighty God sent His prophets with miracles and clear signs to guide the people and show them divine signs and purify them from sins and pollutions. And He sent the Book and the balance so that the people display justice and avoid the rebellious."
All of the above verses can be seen, one way or the other, in the Good Book as well.
Divine prophets have promised:
The day will come when all humans will congregate before the court of the Almighty, so that their deeds are examined, The good will be directed towards Haven and evildoers will meet divine retribution. I trust both of us believe in such a day, but it will not be easy to calculate the actions of rulers, because we must be answerable to our nation and all others whose lives have been directly or indirectly affected by our actions.
All prophets, speak of peace and tranquillity for man -- based on monotheism, justice and respect for human dignity.
Do you not think that if all of us come to believe in and abide by these principles, that is, monotheism, worship of God, justice, respect for the dignity of man, belief in the Last Day, we can overcome the present problems of the world -- that are the result of disobedience to the Almighty and the teachings of prophets -- and improve our performance?
Do you not think that belief in these principles promotes and guarantees peace, friendship and justice?
Do you not think that the aforementioned written or unwritten principles are universally represented?
Will you not accept this invitation? That is, a genuine return to the teachings of prophets, to monotheism and justice, to preserve human dignity and obedience to the Almighty and His prophets?
Mr. President,
History tells us that repressive and cruel governments do not survive. God has entrusted the fate of men to them. The Almighty has not left the universe and humanity to their own devices. Many things have happened contrary to the wishes and plans of governments. These tell us that there is a higher power at work and all events are determined by Him.
Can one deny the signs of change in the world today?
Is the situation of the world today comparable to that of 10 years ago? Changes happen fast and come at a furious pace.
The people of the world are not happy with the status quo and pay little heed to the promises and comments made by a number of influential world leaders. Many people around the world feel insecure and oppose the spreading of insecurity and war and do not approve of and accept dubious policies.
The people are protesting the increasing gap between the haves and the have-nots and the rich and poor countries.
The people are disgusted with increasing corruption.
The people of many countries are angry about the attacks on their cultural foundations and the disintegration of families. They are equally dismayed with the fading of care and compassion. The people of the world have no faith in international organizations, because their rights are not advocated by these organizations.
Liberalism and Western-style democracy have not been able to help realize the ideals of humanity. Today these two concepts have failed. Those with insight can already hear the sounds of the shattering and fall of the ideology and thoughts of the Liberal democratic systems.
We increasingly see that people around the world are flocking towards a main focal point -- that is the Almighty God. Undoubtedly through faith in God and the teachings of the prophets, the people will conquer their problems. My question for you is: "Do you not want to join them?"
Mr. President,
Whether we like it or not, the world is gravitating towards faith in the Almighty and justice and the will of God will prevail over all things.

Dave Coup
06-14-07, 11:28 PM
It's like fishing GSO. If you're fishing for trout go where the trout are. If you want to kill terrorists go where the terrorists are. At the moment that would appear to be Iraq. At this point it doesn't matter if they were there at the start of the war or not.

SF

Dave

greensideout
06-14-07, 11:38 PM
The real deal is simple to me Dave, if we want to shake the terrorists off our back we would get out of their country.

10thzodiac
06-14-07, 11:58 PM
If you don't like terrorism, simple, don't ****** participate in it !

What's so hard about that ?

HOLM
06-15-07, 09:22 AM
!0z it didn't work with the Nazi's... FDR tried that chit for years...

And you forgot these great lines.. I can't believe you would spew that lefty propaganda here.. Iran is playing ya lefties like a fiddle...

Here is what he says when the MSM is not listening

June 3, 2007

With God's help, the countdown button for the destruction of the Zionist regime has been pushed by the hands of the children of <st1:country-region w:st="on">Lebanon</st1:country-region> and <st1><st1:city w:st="on">Palestine</st1:city></st1> . . . By God's will, we will witness the destruction of this regime in the near future."

March 21, 2007

"It is quite clear that a bunch of Zionist racists are the problem the modern world is facing today. They have access to global power and media centers and seek to use this access to keep the world in a state of hardship, poverty and grudge and strengthen their rule. The great nation of<st1> <st1:country-region w:st="on">Iran</st1:country-region></st1> is opposed to this inhuman trend. Of course, the Iranian nation will stick to its rightful stance. The Zionists and their supporters do not know that they are using failed approaches to take on human values, human civilization, nations and the great nation of <st1><st1:country-region w:st="on">Iran</st1:country-region></st1>. Admitting the right of the dear Iranian nation and submitting to justice and the rule of law are the best way to salvation and the best way out of the deadlocks they have created for themselves."

February 28, 2007

"The Zionists are the true manifestation of Satan . . . Many Western governments that claim to be pioneers of democracy and standard bearers of human rights close their eyes over crimes committed by the Zionists and by remaining silent support the Zionists due to their hedonistic and materialistic tendencies."
(to a meeting of Sudanese Islamic scholars in <st1:city w:st="on"><st1>Khartoum</st1>l</st1:city>)

December 12, 2006

"Thanks to people's wishes and God's will the trend for the existence of the Zionist regime is downwards and this is what God has promised and what all nations want…Just as the Soviet Union was wiped out and today does not exist, so will the Zionist regime soon be wiped out"<o></o>
(Comments to Iran's Holocaust Conference)

November 13, 2006

"Israel is destined for destruction and will soon disappear"
Israel is "a contradiction to nature, we foresee its rapid disappearance and destruction."

This is the guy that has been caught supporting the Taliban...

Should I go on.....

jetdawgg
06-15-07, 10:21 AM
HOLM your words make it appear that Israel is doing no wrong to the Palestinians.....

HOLM
06-15-07, 10:26 AM
All I know is that I don't see Israeli's on the news blowing up Bakeries and Pet Stores by method of Sucide bombing in Palestine..

And when I see Israel hit a "civlian" target.. They usaully find weapons at the bottom of the rubble..

Hamas and the other "Free Palestine" groups have no such respect for life...

Look at their little "uncivil" war.. Executing people in the streets...

They are also not calling for the destruction of Palestine... Just peace...

The Palestinians see the only way to peace is to destory Israel

huey guns
06-16-07, 12:46 AM
10z, what? no cut and paste reply for this! This was a low-blow HOLM, 10z might not recover.

jetdawgg
06-16-07, 08:59 AM
All I know is that I don't see Israeli's on the news blowing up Bakeries and Pet Stores by method of Sucide bombing in Palestine..

And when I see Israel hit a "civlian" target.. They usaully find weapons at the bottom of the rubble..

Once again the MSM is right wing led so you won't get to "see" a lot of the damage done by Israel.

If you do a "You Tube" Search on "Israeli Soldiers" you can have a second thought about things..

yellowwing
06-16-07, 09:04 AM
As a Christian is grieves me terrible when there is violence on both sides in Bethlehem. There is a sad joke Why do they call it the Holy Land? If you are at the wrong place at the wrong time you can end up full of holes. :(

jetdawgg
06-16-07, 09:06 AM
True that Mike. The 'Holy Land' is the most dangerous place on Earth.

How would Jesus be able to get through to people?

FistFu68
06-16-07, 11:45 AM
:evilgrin:ON DECEMBER 4,1968;I WAS FIGHTING MY YOUNG AZZ OFF.ON A PIECE OF LAND THAT AT THE TIME,WAS THE DEADLIEST PLACE ON THE FRIGGING PLANET;I MET SATAN & GOD. GOD WON!!!!!!!:usmc: :iwo:

10thzodiac
06-16-07, 02:40 PM
<TABLE class=tborder id=post252695 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD class=alt2 width=175>HOLM (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/member.php?u=40416)<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_252695", true); </SCRIPT>
Marine
Free Member (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/payments.php)

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/images/avatars/lcpl.gif (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/member.php?u=40416)

</TD><TD class=alt1 id=td_post_252695><!-- message -->All I know is that I don't see Israeli's on the news blowing up Bakeries and Pet Stores by method of Sucide bombing in Palestine..

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

A list of UN Resolutions against "Israel"
Here is a list of UN resolutions that Israel has not complied. As far as I know they have ignored every single resolution. But the situation is far worse than would at first appear, it involves the serious distortion of the official Security Council record by the profligate use by the United States of its veto power. (See Table)
Israel’s, defiance goes back to its very beginnings. This collection of resolutions criticizing Israel is unmatched by the record of any other nation.

A list of UN Resolutions against "Israel"

<CENTER><TABLE cellPadding=2 align=center><TBODY><TR><TD>

1955-1992:
* Resolution 106: " . . . 'condemns' Israel for Gaza raid".
* Resolution 111: " . . . '<SMALL>condemns' Israel for raid on Syria that killed fifty-six people". </SMALL>
* Resolution 127: " . . . <SMALL>'recommends' Israel suspends it's 'no-man's zone' in Jerusalem". </SMALL>
* Resolution 162: " . . . 'urges' Israel to comply with UN decisions".
* Resolution 171: " . . . <SMALL>determines flagrant violations' by Israel in its attack on Syria". </SMALL>
* Resolution 228: " . . . <SMALL>'censures' Israel for its attack on Samu in the West Bank, then under Jordanian control".</SMALL>
* Resolution 237: " . . . <SMALL>'urges' Israel to allow return of new 1967 Palestinian refugees".</SMALL>
* Resolution 248: " . . . <SMALL>'condemns' Israel for its massive attack on Karameh in Jordan". </SMALL>
* Resolution 250: " . . . <SMALL>'calls' on Israel to refrain from holding military parade in Jerusalem".</SMALL>
* Resolution 251: " . . . <SMALL>'deeply deplores' Israeli military parade in Jerusalem in defiance of Resolution 250". </SMALL>
* Resolution 252: " . . .<SMALL> 'declares invalid' Israel's acts to unify Jerusalem as Jewish capital".</SMALL>
* Resolution 256: " . . . 'condemns' Israeli raids on Jordan as 'flagrant violation".
* Resolution 259: " . . . <SMALL>'deplores' Israel's refusal to accept UN mission to probe occupation".</SMALL>
* Resolution 262: " . . . 'condemns' Israel for attack on Beirut airport".
* Resolution 265: " . . . 'condemns' Israel for air attacks for Salt in Jordan".
* Resolution 267: " . . . <SMALL>'censures' Israel for administrative acts to change the status of Jerusalem".</SMALL>
*Resolution 270: " . . . <SMALL>'condemns' Israel for air attacks on villages in southern Lebanon". </SMALL>
* Resolution 271: " . . <SMALL>. 'condemns' Israel's failure to obey UN resolutions on Jerusalem". </SMALL>
* Resolution 279: " . . . 'demands' withdrawal of Israeli forces from Lebanon".
* Resolution 280: " . . . 'condemns' Israeli's attacks against Lebanon".
* Resolution 285: " . . . 'demands' immediate Israeli withdrawal form Lebanon".
* Resolution 298: " . . . 'deplores' Israel's changing of the status of Jerusalem".
* Resolution 313: " . . . 'demands' that Israel stop attacks against Lebanon".
* Resolution 316: " . . . 'condemns' Israel for repeated attacks on Lebanon".
* Resolution 317: " . . . <SMALL>'deplores' Israel's refusal to release Arabs abducted in Lebanon".</SMALL>
* Resolution 332: " . . . 'condemns' Israel's repeated attacks against Lebanon".
* Resolution 337: " . . . 'condemns' Israel for violating Lebanon's sovereignty".
* Resolution 347: " . . . 'condemns' Israeli attacks on Lebanon".
* Resolution 425: " . . . 'calls' on Israel to withdraw its forces from Lebanon".
* Resolution 427: " . . . 'calls' on Israel to complete its withdrawal from Lebanon.
* Resolution 444: " . . . <SMALL>'deplores' Israel's lack of cooperation with UN peacekeeping forces".</SMALL>
* Resolution 446: " . . . 'determines' that Israeli settlements are a 'serious
obstruction' to peace and calls on Israel to abide by the Fourth Geneva Convention".
* Resolution 450: " . . . 'calls' on Israel to stop attacking Lebanon".
* Resolution 452: " . . . <SMALL>'calls' on Israel to cease building settlements in occupied territories".</SMALL>
* Resolution 465: " . . . 'deplores' Israel's settlements and asks all member
states not to assist Israel's settlements program".
* Resolution 467: " . . . <SMALL>'strongly deplores' Israel's military intervention in Lebanon".</SMALL>
* Resolution 468: " . . . 'calls' on Israel to rescind illegal expulsions of
two Palestinian mayors and a judge and to facilitate their return".
* Resolution 469: " . . . 'strongly deplores' Israel's failure to observe the
council's order not to deport Palestinians".
* Resolution 471: " . . . 'expresses deep concern' at Israel's failure to abide
by the Fourth Geneva Convention".
* Resolution 476: " . . . <SMALL>'reiterates' that Israel's claim to Jerusalem are 'null and void'". </SMALL>
* Resolution 478: " . . . 'censures (Israel) in the strongest terms' for its
claim to Jerusalem in its 'Basic Law'".
* Resolution 484: " . . . 'declares it imperative' that Israel re-admit two deported
Palestinian mayors".
* Resolution 487: " . . . 'strongly condemns' Israel for its attack on Iraq's
nuclear facility".
* Resolution 497: " . . . 'decides' that Israel's annexation of Syria's Golan
Heights is 'null and void' and demands that Israel rescinds its decision forthwith".
* Resolution 498: " . . . 'calls' on Israel to withdraw from Lebanon".
* Resolution 501: " . . . <SMALL>'calls' on Israel to stop attacks against Lebanon and withdraw its troops".</SMALL>
* Resolution 509: " . . . <SMALL>'demands' that Israel withdraw its forces forthwith and unconditionally from Lebanon".</SMALL>
* Resolution 515: " . . . 'demands' that Israel lift its siege of Beirut and
allow food supplies to be brought in".
* Resolution 517: " . . . 'censures' Israel for failing to obey UN resolutions
and demands that Israel withdraw its forces from Lebanon".
* Resolution 518: " . . .<SMALL> 'demands' that Israel cooperate fully with UN forces in Lebanon".</SMALL>
* Resolution 520: " . . . 'condemns' Israel's attack into West Beirut".
* Resolution 573: " . . . 'condemns' Israel 'vigorously' for bombing Tunisia
in attack on PLO headquarters.
* Resolution 587: " . . . 'takes note' of previous calls on Israel to withdraw
its forces from Lebanon and urges all parties to withdraw".
* Resolution 592: " . . . 'strongly deplores' the killing of Palestinian students
at Bir Zeit University by Israeli troops".
* Resolution 605: " . . . 'strongly deplores' Israel's policies and practices
denying the human rights of Palestinians.
* Resolution 607: " . . . 'calls' on Israel not to deport Palestinians and strongly
requests it to abide by the Fourth Geneva Convention.
* Resolution 608: " . . .<SMALL> 'deeply regrets' that Israel has defied the United Nations and deported Palestinian civilians". </SMALL>
* Resolution 636: " . . <SMALL>. 'deeply regrets' Israeli deportation of Palestinian civilians. </SMALL>
* Resolution 641: " . . . 'deplores' Israel's continuing deportation of Palestinians.
* Resolution 672: " . . . 'condemns' Israel for violence against Palestinians
at the Haram al-Sharif/Temple Mount.
* Resolution 673: " . . . 'deplores' Israel's refusal to cooperate with the United
Nations.
* Resolution 681: " . . . 'deplores' Israel's resumption of the deportation of
Palestinians.
* Resolution 694: " . . . 'deplores' Israel's deportation of Palestinians and
calls on it to ensure their safe and immediate return.
* Resolution 726: " . . . 'strongly condemns' Israel's deportation of Palestinians.
* Resolution 799: ". . . 'strongly condemns' Israel's deportation of 413 Palestinians
and calls for there immediate return.
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></CENTER>

1993 to 1995
UNGA Res 50/21 - The Middle East Peace Process (Dec 12, 1995)
UNGA Res 50/22 - The Situation in the Middle East (Dec 12, 1995)
UNGA Res 49/35 - Assistance to Palestinian Refugees (Jan 30 1995) l
UNGA Res 49/36 - Human Rights of Palestinian Refugees (Jan 30 1995)
UNGA Res 49/62 - Question of Palestine (Feb 3 1995)
UNGA Res 49/78 - Nuclear Proliferation in Mideast (Jan 11 1995)
UNGA Res 49/87 - Situation in the Middle East (Feb 7 1995)
UNGA Res 49/88 - The Middle East Peace Process (Feb 7 1995)
UNGA Res 49/149- Palestinian Right- Self-Determination (Feb 7 1995)
UNGA Res 48/213 - Assistance to Palestinian Refugees (Mar 15, 1994)
UNGA Res 48/40 - UNRWA for Palestinian Refugees (Dec 13, 1993)
UNGA Res 48/41 - Human Rights in the Territories (Dec 10 1993)
UNGA Res 48/58 - The Middle East Peace Process (Dec 14 1993)
UNGA Res 48/59 - The Situation in the Middle East (Dec 14 1993)
UNGA Res 48/71 - Nuclear-Weapon-Free Zone in Mideast (Dec 16 1993)
UNGA Res 48/78 - Israeli Nuclear Armanent (Dec 16 1993)
UNGA Res 48/94 - Self-Determination & Independence (Dec 20 1993)
UNGA Res 48/124- Non-interference in Elections (Dec 20 1993)
UNGA Res 48/158- Question of Palestine (Dec 20 1993)
UNGA Res 48/212- Repercussions of Israeli Settlements (Dec 21 1993)
==========+++===========

<TABLE width="100%" align=center><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>U.S. Vetoes of UN Resolutions Critical of Israel

(1972-2002)

<HR>Vetoes: 1972-1982

<CENTER><TABLE height=90 cellSpacing=1 width="100%" border=1><TBODY><TR><TD height=23>Subject </TD><TD align=right height=23>Date & Meeting </TD><TD align=right height=23>US Rep Casting Veto </TD><TD align=right height=23>Vote </TD></TR><TR><TD height=23>Palestine: Syrian-Lebanese Complaint. 3 power draft resolution 2/10784 </TD><TD align=right height=23>9/10/1972 </TD><TD align=right height=23>Bush </TD><TD align=right height=23>13-1, 1 </TD></TR><TR><TD height=22>Palestine: Examination of Middle East Situation. 8-power draft resolution (S/10974) </TD><TD align=right height=22>7/2/1973 </TD><TD align=right height=22>Scali </TD><TD align=right height=22>13-1, 0 (China not partic.) </TD></TR><TR><TD height=27>Palestine: Egyptian-Lebanese Complaint. 5-power draft power resolution (S/11898) </TD><TD align=right height=27>12/8/1975 </TD><TD align=right height=27>Moynihan </TD><TD align=right height=27>13-1, 1 </TD></TR><TR><TD height=27>Palestine: Middle East Problem, including Palestinian question. 6-power draft resolution (S/11940) </TD><TD align=right height=27>1/26/1976 </TD><TD align=right height=27>Moynihan </TD><TD align=right height=27>9-1,3 (China & Libya not partic.) </TD></TR><TR><TD height=27>Palestine: Situation in Occupied Arab Territories. 5-power draft resolution (S/12022) </TD><TD align=right height=27>3/25/1976 </TD><TD align=right height=27>Scranton </TD><TD align=right height=27>14-1,0 </TD></TR><TR><TD height=27>Palestine: Report on Committee on Rights of Palestinian People. 4-power draft resolution (S/121119) </TD><TD align=right height=27>6/29/1976 </TD><TD align=right height=27>Sherer </TD><TD align=right height=27>10-1,4 </TD></TR><TR><TD height=27>Palestine: Palestinian Rights. Tunisian draft resolution. (S/13911) </TD><TD align=right height=27>4/30/1980 </TD><TD align=right height=27>McHenry </TD><TD align=right height=27>10-1,4 </TD></TR><TR><TD height=27>Palestine: Golan Heights. Jordan draft resolution. (S/14832/Rev. 2) </TD><TD align=right height=27>1/20/1982 </TD><TD align=right height=27>Kirkpatrick </TD><TD align=right height=27>9-1,5 </TD></TR><TR><TD height=27>Palestine: Situation in Occupied Territories, Jordan draft resolution (S/14943) </TD><TD align=right height=27>4/2/1982 </TD><TD align=right height=27>Lichenstein </TD><TD align=right height=27>13-1,1 </TD></TR><TR><TD height=27>Palestine: Incident at the Dome of the Rock in Jerusalem. 4-power draft resolution </TD><TD align=right height=27>4/20/1982 </TD><TD align=right height=27>Kirpatrick </TD><TD align=right height=27>14-1, 0 </TD></TR><TR><TD height=27>Palestine: Conflict in Lebanon. Spain draft resolution. (S/15185) </TD><TD align=right height=27>6/8/1982 </TD><TD align=right height=27>Kirpatrick </TD><TD align=right height=27>14-1,0 </TD></TR><TR><TD height=27>Palestine: Conflict in Lebanon. France draft resolution. (S/15255/Rev. 2) </TD><TD align=right height=27>6/26/1982 </TD><TD align=right height=27>Lichenstein </TD><TD align=right height=27>14-1 </TD></TR><TR><TD height=27>Palestine: Conflict in Lebanon. USSR draft resolution. (S/15347/Rev. 1, as orally amended) </TD><TD align=right height=27>8/6/1982 </TD><TD align=right height=27>Lichenstein </TD><TD align=right height=27>11-1,3 </TD></TR><TR><TD height=27>Palestine: Situation in Occupied Territories, 20-power draft resolution (S/15895) </TD><TD align=right height=27>8/2/1983 </TD><TD align=right height=27>Lichenstein </TD><TD align=right height=27>13-1,1 </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></CENTER>

Security Council Vetoes/Negative voting 1983-present

<CENTER><TABLE height=90 cellSpacing=1 width="100%" border=1><TBODY><TR><TD height=23>Subject </TD><TD align=right height=23>Date </TD><TD align=right height=23>Vote </TD></TR><TR><TD height=22>Occupied Arab Territories: Wholesale condemnation of Israeli settlement policies - not adopted </TD><TD align=right height=22>1983 </TD><TD align=right height=22></TD></TR><TR><TD height=27>S. Lebanon: Condemns Israeli action in southern Lebanon. S/16732 </TD><TD align=right height=27>9/6/1984 </TD><TD align=right height=27>Vetoed: 13-1 (U.S.), with 1 abstention (UK) </TD></TR><TR><TD height=27>Occupied Territories: Deplores "repressive measures" by Israel against Arab population. S/19459. </TD><TD align=right height=27>9/13/1985 </TD><TD align=right height=27>Vetoed: 10-1 (U.S.), with 4 abstentions (Australia, Denmark, UK, France) </TD></TR><TR><TD height=27>Lebanon: Condemns Israeli practices against civilians in southern Lebanon. S/17000. </TD><TD align=right height=27>3/12/1985 </TD><TD align=right height=27>Vetoed: 11-1 (U.S.), with 3 abstentions (Australia, Denmark, UK) </TD></TR><TR><TD height=27>Occupied Territories: Calls upon Israel to respect Muslim holy places. S/17769/Rev. 1 </TD><TD align=right height=27>1/30/1986 </TD><TD align=right height=27>Vetoed: 13-1 (US), with one abstention (Thailand) </TD></TR><TR><TD height=27>Lebanon: Condemns Israeli practices against civilians in southern Lebanon. S/17730/Rev. 2. </TD><TD align=right height=27>1/17/1986 </TD><TD align=right height=27>Vetoed: 11-1 (U.S.), with 3 abstentions (Australia, Denmark, UK) </TD></TR><TR><TD height=27>Libya/Israel: Condemns Israeli interception of Libyan plane. S/17796/Rev. 1. </TD><TD align=right height=27>2/6/1986 </TD><TD align=right height=27>Vetoed: 10 -1 (US), with 4 abstentions (Australia, Denmark, France, UK) </TD></TR><TR><TD height=27>Lebanon: Draft strongly deplored repeated Israeli attacks against Lebanese territory and other measures and practices against the civilian population; (S/19434) </TD><TD align=right height=27>1/18/1988 </TD><TD align=right height=27>vetoed 13-1 (US), with 1 abstention (UK) </TD></TR><TR><TD height=27>Lebanon: Draft condemned recent invasion by Israeli forces of Southern Lebanon and repeated a call for the immediate withdrawal of all Israeli forces from Lebanese territory; (S/19868) </TD><TD align=right height=27>5/10/1988 </TD><TD align=right height=27>vetoed 14-1 (US) </TD></TR><TR><TD height=27>Lebanon: Draft strongly deplored the recent Israeli attack against Lebanese territory on 9 December 1988; (S/20322) </TD><TD align=right height=27>12/14/1988 </TD><TD align=right height=27>vetoed 14-1 (US) </TD></TR><TR><TD height=27>Occupied territories: Draft called on Israel to accept de jure applicability of the 4th Geneva Convention; (S/19466) </TD><TD align=right height=27>1988 </TD><TD align=right height=27>vetoed 14-1 (US) </TD></TR><TR><TD height=27>Occupied territories: Draft urged Israel to abide by the Fourth Geneva Convention, rescind the order to deport Palestinian civilians, and condemned policies and practices of Israel that violate the human rights of the Palestinian people in the occupied territories; (S/19780) </TD><TD align=right height=27>1988 </TD><TD align=right height=27>vetoed 14-1 (US) </TD></TR><TR><TD height=27>Occupied territories: Strongly deplored Israeli policies and practices in the occupied territories, and strongly deplored also Israel's continued disregard of relevant Security Council decisions. </TD><TD align=right height=27>2/17/1989 </TD><TD align=right height=27>Vetoed 14-1 (US) </TD></TR><TR><TD height=27>Occupied territories: Condemned Israeli policies and practices in the occupied territories. </TD><TD align=right height=27>6/9/1989 </TD><TD align=right height=27>Vetoed 14-1 (US) </TD></TR><TR><TD height=27>Occupied territories: Deplored Israel's policies and practices in the occupied territories. </TD><TD align=right height=27>11/7/1989 </TD><TD align=right height=27>Vetoed 14-1 (US) </TD></TR><TR><TD height=27>Occupied territories: NAM draft resolution to create a commission and send three security council members to Rishon Lezion, where an Israeli gunmen shot down seven Palestinian workers. </TD><TD align=right height=27>5/31/1990 </TD><TD align=right height=27>Vetoed 14-1 (US) </TD></TR><TR><TD height=27>Middle East: Confirms that the expropriation of land by Israel in East Jerusalem is invalid and in violation of relevant Security Council resolutions and provisions of the Fourth Geneva convention; expresses support of peace process, including the Declaration of Principles of 9/13/1993 </TD><TD align=right height=27>5/17/1995 </TD><TD align=right height=27>Vetoed 14-1 (US) </TD></TR><TR><TD height=27>Middle East: Calls upon Israeli authorities to refrain from all actions or measures, including settlement activities. </TD><TD align=right height=27>3/7/1997 </TD><TD align=right height=27>Vetoed 14-1 (US) </TD></TR><TR><TD height=27>Middle East: Demands that Israel cease construction of the settlement in east Jerusalem (called Jabal Abu Ghneim by the Palestinians and Har Homa by Israel), as well as all the other Israeli settlement activity in the occupied territories </TD><TD align=right height=27>3/21/1997 </TD><TD align=right height=27>Vetoed 13-1,1 (US)</TD></TR><TR><TD height=27>Call for UN Observers Force in West Bank, Gaza</TD><TD align=right height=27>3/27/2001</TD><TD align=right height=27>Vetoed 9-1 (US),
with four abstentions
(Britain, France, Ireland and Norway)
</TD></TR><TR><TD height=27>Condemned acts of terror, demanded an end to violence and the establishment of a monitoring mechanism to bring in observers.</TD><TD align=right height=27>12/15/2001</TD><TD align=right height=27>Vetoed 12-1 (US)
with two abstentions (Britain and Norway)
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></CENTER>

<HR>Source: U.S. State Department (http://www.state.gov/)

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

ggyoung
06-16-07, 04:55 PM
**** on the u.n.

greensideout
06-16-07, 08:17 PM

:thumbup: Well said! That sums up the fight in the middle east!