PDA

View Full Version : Prior Marine..coming back in?

former1833
06-12-07, 10:43 PM
I was an active duty 1833 for 8 years, got out with a RE-1A, as an E5. After getting out a few months, I missed the military and went into the National Guard and am currently deployed with them. I have been out of the Marines about 2 years and in the Guard a year and a half. My current BN commander has approved a conditional release for me to return to active duty, most who do this program go into the Army but I was thinking of trying to come back as a Marine.
A couple of questions, since getting out I have been promoted to E6, had I re-enlisted with the Marines I would have had E6 soon I believe. If I am able to come back in, will it be as an E5 or E6? Would it be as an 1833? I am in the infantry now with the Guard.
Thanks!

sgt tony
06-12-07, 11:11 PM
You need to go to the recurter and talk with them. I think you will not come back as a E6 as you are in the Guard but you may come back as a E5 I have seen retreds come back 1 less but it is as the Marine Coprs needs.

Echo_Four_Bravo
06-13-07, 01:24 AM
I have seen retreads come back at their original rank, one less, or as a LCPL. None of them ended up with their original MOS. I am sure it is just a needs of the Corps kind of deal.

There is probably a prior service recruiter at a local reserve station. Give them a call and see what they can do for you.

former1833
06-13-07, 03:54 AM
Thanks! Well, I was kinda thinking they would only take me back as an E5, but wasn't sure. The Army has already said they will take me as an E6, but as we know the Marines are different. I know long ago most people came back as either an E3, a rank less than what they were or the rank they left as. I may contact a recruiter and double check, but I feel like I have earned this rank, so I am not wanting to part with it at this point! Thanks!

Echo_Four_Bravo
06-13-07, 03:33 PM
I don't see any way they would put you in as a SSgt. You earned the rank, but you earned it in the Army, not the Marine Corps. If you hadn't been in the Corps before you would only be able to enter as a PFC, so at least you're ahead there.

rvillac2
06-13-07, 06:12 PM
You're still a Marine Sergeant, the backbone of the Corps.

former1833
06-13-07, 07:56 PM
Well, Echo_Four_Bravo, I was in the zone when I got out to pick up E6, I spent 4 years as a Marine Sgt, so I feel like I earned it in the Corps too. I just got out instead. 8 years in the Marine Corps is a long time in some ways. I was an instructor at AAV's for part of that, an instructor at Cpl's course, and completed Sgt's course. But I am not holding my decision to get out against the Corps at all, just would like to keep my rank. I am curious also about keeping my time in rank, if I went back in the Corps, time in rank as an E5 that is.
Rvillac2...you are right there. From being a PFC, the two ranks I wanted to reach were Sgt and Gunny. So I fulfilled half the goal.
I appreciate you all taking the time to respond to this. I am surrounded by all soldiers of course, just a completely different atmosphere than Marines. Thanks!

former1833
06-13-07, 08:11 PM
Can we edit previous messages?

I think you are right, the Corps isn't going to see that I earned it with them, even if I feel like I did. :)

TennysonUSMC
06-14-07, 01:39 PM
You're still a Marine Sergeant, the backbone of the Corps.

Oohrah! I'm not a Sergeant, but they are the backbone...sorry if that was belligerent. :)

JinxJr
06-14-07, 02:09 PM
Typically, if you're out (of the Corps) for a year or more you stand the chance of losing a stripe. It doesn't matter how long you were a Sergeant, that's what you were when you got out. It may be to your credit that you stayed in the military and even got a deployment but the rank you earned outside of the Corps doesn't count for a lot. If you had earned all of your rank in another branch and were out for less than a year, you'd probably lose two stripes and would have to go to Basic.
You'll skip Boot Camp because you've already done it but may have to take a PT Test of some kind to show you still meet basic standards. Count on losing a stripe unless they've got a waiver authority that didn't exist when I was a Recruiter.

NBC Guru
06-14-07, 04:57 PM
Quick Story... My next door neighbor was out for 11 years, and came back as the same MOS and rank as he was when he got out. Just depends on what the Marine Corps wants...because as we all know...what the Corps wants, the Corps gets.

former1833
06-14-07, 08:45 PM
OK spoke briefly with a recruiter today and was told I can 100% for sure return as an E5 and 1833 is still an MOS that needs Marines. He said he didn't think there was much chance of me keeping E6 since that wasn't given in the Marines, but thought it wouldn't hurt to check with someone higher up than him.
I also spoke with an Army recruiter who said they of course will let me stay E6.
Thanks again for the responses.

MSgtBowling
06-16-07, 12:30 AM
I really don't understand all this E-5,E-6 Bull****, It was always Sgt, SSgt, I think was the Air Farce that started all that E-crap.