PDA

View Full Version : 0313 Questions

rundegrun
06-11-07, 05:26 PM
Hello,

I've done multiple searches on many different sites, talked to my recruiter, and I'm still a little confused about the amount of training time my MOS will require:

I'm going into the Reserve, and decided to go 0313 LAV Crewman. I understand it falls under infantry, so that means when I go to SOI, I'll be in the ITB, which according to SOI-east's site is 52 days, correct? While at SOI, do I specialize in anything in particular (like machine-gunner or mortar man)? I'll then have another 6 weeks of LAV school, correct?
If what I've gathered is correct, the breakdown is:
13 weeks of boot
10 days home (working my civilian job)
52 days of SOI
6 weeks of LAV

Do I have it about right?
I really look forward to all the training, I've been at a desk job for far too long, but I need to be able to give my employer a pretty good amount of heads up before I disappear for what looks like the better part of a year.

One last question: In the case of reservists, is your name passed on to the unit that you'll eventually be serving with, even before you go to boot?
Thanks for any help you can give!

dan

JimmyK
06-11-07, 06:21 PM
10 days home (working my civilian job)
dan

Why would you want to work during your leave? Especially boot leave?

Marine84
06-11-07, 06:55 PM

Sounds like we got a hyper one here :banana:

Echo_Four_Bravo
06-11-07, 10:50 PM
You will report to SOI and go through Common Skills training and then you will be divided up into your particular MOS. You will not be focusing on anything in particular, everyone does the same thing. You'll see everything that is in the infantry and learn how to patrol and do other fun things like that. Then, you'll head off to be with the other LAV people and learn about that beast.

Yes, your unit will know about you before you go. You'll probably even have an interview with them to make sure they want you. And, there is no reason to work your normal job while you're on leave. Wait until you're done with training before you go back to the daily grind.

rundegrun
06-12-07, 02:38 PM

So my employer doesn't forget what I look like :D

Actually it's more a financial decision, those few days of "work" (half of which will be spent telling my coworkers about my experiences) will be about the equivalent of a month of my enlisted pay, which my wife and kid sure could use while I'm away.

Most people have told me that I won't want to waste my leave on work, and depending on how I feel after boot, I may take the advice and not go to the office after all.