PDA

View Full Version : Requiem for a fighter

thedrifter
06-11-07, 07:03 AM
Requiem for a fighter

By: Gail Chatfield - Commentary

Years from now, when the wounds of this war have healed, we may come to terms with its human cost, the monetary costs having been long forgotten.

Until such time, we mourn yet another young Marine from Camp Pendleton, Cpl. Jason S. Clairday, who was just 21 years old when he was killed in December 2004 in Fallujah. Two and a half years later, his widow ">www.nctimes.com/articles/...6_07.txt"> received the Navy Cross on his behalf .

Young Jason was recognized by his country as a hero, but he probably tells the Marines he meets in heaven that he was just doing his job. They would nod understandingly.

When wives and mothers send their loved ones off to war, they must at some point whisper in those young ears, "Keep your head down." I know I would. But warriors don't listen to their mothers; they rely instead on their Marine Corps training.

Young Jason did not keep his head down when he rescued a wounded Marine from the roof of a house after his squad came under fire from insurgents. He did not keep his head down when he returned fire, or when he led an assault into the house where the insurgents had barricaded themselves. After being shot in both legs, he took the lead position and re-entered the house throwing grenades and emptying his rifle. He was mortally wounded but the lives of his fellow Marines were saved.

It's in a mother's DNA to "take a bullet" to protect her child. But what makes a young man risk his life for his fellow Marines? For answers to questions like this, I go to those who can explain it best, because everything I know about war, I learned from Marine Corps veterans of World War II.

Navy Cross recipient retired Lt. Col. Paul McLellan explained it this way: "You just keep going. You think about the danger. You can't help but think about it, but you have a job to do and you just keep moving forward."

"Adrenaline is going and when it shoots in, fear leaves you," says retired Sgt. Maj. Mike Mervosh, speaking about his time on Iwo Jima. "I'll put it this way: We all wanted to live but we weren't afraid to die. We knew that our families ... our country are pretty well safe and that is what we are here for."

"The guy next to you knows you are going to be there and you know damn well he's going to be there and it really isn't much beyond that," recalls Bill Swanson, a corporal who was on Bougainville. "You don't want to let the other guys down, and you don't want to be the first man to let the Marine Corps down. Our world was just us."

Young Jason continued the legacy of the Marines who have gone before him, and he honorably gave his life for his mates. Simply put, I guess, young men and women enlist to safeguard their country, but they fight to safeguard their friends.

Ellie

jinelson
06-11-07, 08:14 AM
Selfless Fallen Marine Earns Navy Cross

http://www.i-mef.usmc.mil/articles/_images/default/pic48_sm.jpg

Lt. Col. James McArthur, commanding officer of 3rd Battalion, 5th Marine Regiment, 1st Marine Division, and Col. Larry Nicholson, commanding officer of 5th Marines present the Navy Cross to Sarrah Clairday.
Story by Lance Cpl Jeffrey Belovarac

Camp Pendleton, CA. June 7, 2007 -- Injured and refusing to be evacuated, Cpl. Jason S. Clairday didn’t hesitate to save fellow Marines’ lives by sacrificing his own.

Clairday was posthumously awarded the Navy Cross, the second-highest honor a Marine can receive, June 4, for his selfless acts Dec. 12, 2004, during a patrol in Iraq.

His family received the medal on his behalf.

While performing a security sweep in the Askari District of Fallujah, Iraq, Clairday, fire team leader, Company K, 3rd Battalion, 5th Marine Regiment, Regimental Combat Team 1, 1st Marine Division, was informed of another platoon in urgent need of assistance.

http://www.i-mef.usmc.mil/articles/_images/default/pic61_sm.jpg

Nancy McWilliams, Cpl. Clairday's step mother, gazes upon his rifle and gear displayed during the ceremony. It is traditional to place a rifle with bayonet upon boots and sandbags, with dogtags and a helmet, to commemorate a fallen Marine.

Clairday responded, leading his Marines by leaping four feet to the enemy position, jumping between the roofs of two three-story buildings. Clairday then led the attack into the house, where his legs were cut down by enemy fire.

“His fire team was without-a-doubt the most effective fire team,” said Sgt. Stephen W. Kephart, an anti-armor assaultman, 25, from Bend, Ore., and a member of Clairday’s company at the time. “First man in, last man out; that’s what kind of Marine he was.”

Continuing to engage the enemy, Clairday left the building to meet with the squad that was entering the house, and disregarding his injuries, Clairday re-entered the building a second time. Inside, he was able to suppress the enemy using fragmentation grenades and his rifle. Clairday then led his Marines into a room where he received fatal wounds while attacking insurgents. His efforts allowed supporting elements to eliminate the insurgent stronghold.

“Where do we find such men?” asked Col. Larry Nicholson, Commanding Officer, 5th Marines. “We find them in Salem, Arkansas, where Jason Clairday is from. There are Marines alive today because of Jason Clairday.”

http://www.i-mef.usmc.mil/articles/_images/default/pic62_sm.jpg

Clairday's wife, Sarah Clairday and Cpl. Ryan J. Glasgow, a Marine with 3rd Bn., 5th Marines, present Clairday's Navy Cross Medal encased with its citation. Clairday earned the Navy Cross on December 12, 2004, for actions taken fighting in Fallujuah, Iraq.

Several of those who knew Clairday attested to his respectful nature, always acting as a leader and mentor.

“He always led by example,” said former Marine Cpl. Phillip A. Levine, 33, from New York City, who was in Clairday’s company during the fight. “(Clairday performing such actions) does not surprise me at all.”

Clairday was known by his family to be a good-hearted person, always trying to see the positive side of things. Clairday’s family, tearful and mourning, showed their pride in Jason after the Navy Cross was presented.

“His smile is what he was known for, and he would smile all the time,” said Sarah Clairday, his wife. “He would never give up on anything.”

This is the 18th Navy Cross earned during the War on Terrorism. It is the sixth awarded to a Marine from 3rd Bn., 5th Marines.

“Jason enters what I call a pantheon of heroes,” Nicholson said.

More than 30 veterans of various wars and conflicts attended the presentation to show their long dedication to our service members and out of respect for Clairday.

“Any guy who (has worn a service uniform) is a hero in my book,” said former Army Sgt. Daniel J. Rickert, a Korean War veteran who served with the 24th Infantry Division. He placed his hand over his heart, saying, “Bravery comes from inside here.”