PDA

View Full Version : Marines Help Vietnam Vet Who Lost Everything

thedrifter
06-11-07, 05:52 AM
Marines Help Vietnam Vet Who Lost Everything
Posted: 10:53 PM Jun 10, 2007
Last Updated: 10:53 PM Jun 10, 2007
Email Address: chris.sadeghi@kake.com

6-10-07 - A former Marine who served three tours of duty in Vietnam and lost everything in the Greensburg tornado last month got a heartwarming helping hand this weekend.

Anyone who's ever been a Marine knows all about the term Semper Fi. From battalions actively serving in Iraq to a veteran who lost everything in Greensburg. Semper Fi... they're always faithful.

One of the unforgettable faces from Greensburg belongs to Marvin Lawson. A 70 year-old Vietnam vet who took mother nature's biggest punch in the gut. But Lawson just keeps going. "I've had my ass whipped.. but never had it stomped this bad," says Lawson.

Like most of the devastated town, Lawson lost it all, including irreplaceable keepsakes from his military service. But his determination left its mark on fellow Marines who are fighting today's war in Iraq.

Gene Roberts of Winfield sent articles and web stories about Lawson to his daughter, Corporal Anna Roberts, who is stationed in Ramadi. The corporal then posted them on her battalions bulletin board.

"She went crazy trying to figure out what they could do," said Gene Roberts. Anna and the rest of her battalion couldn't be there to do it themselves, so her parents had the honor Sunday in Greensburg to pass along a check for $1600 to Lawson. The money coming from those fellow Marines fighting a war half a world away.

Lawson became choked up. "If i could say something, I just wish they were here so I could drink beer with them. God bless them all."

In the months since the tornado, Lawson has found a few of his keepsakes... like his Marine Corp ring. Now he can add a few pictures and a card to the items to cherish.

Ellie