PDA

View Full Version : Getting sgt

futureMarine418
06-10-07, 05:05 PM
I was wondering about how long does it take to become a sgt. Most web sites ive seen say aroung the five year mark. Is that right? My mos field will be 58xx (hopefully 5811) if that matters. Also what is the difference between a nco and a co?

Marine84
06-10-07, 05:59 PM
NCO - Non Commissioned Officer (from Cpl up - anybody that wears their rank on their sleeve) - once you hit SSgt, you're a Staff NCO.

CO - Commissioned Officer - you wear your rank on your collar and everybody with less rank than you HAS to salute you.

futureMarine418
06-10-07, 06:25 PM
How do you go from nco to co?

Quinbo
06-10-07, 06:43 PM
The 5800 field is one of the slowest promoting fields in the Marine Corps. You might zoom right up to Sgt in 5 or 6 years and then stay right there for another 10. It is almost a given that if a 5811 wants to make SSgt he/she needs to go to the drill field.

Echo_Four_Bravo
06-10-07, 08:58 PM
How do you go from nco to co?

You get a college degree, apply to one of the commissioning programs, if accepted you go to OCS, and then you're a 2nd Lt and go off to The Basic School. Of course, if you want to be an officer, you'd be much better off to just go to college and go that route.

There is no way to tell you how long it would take you to reach Sgt. It could be 5 years or 4, or 8. It depends on how you perform as a Marine, how many Sgts. they need in your MOS, and a thousand other things. It is beyond your control for the most part- by the time you're in that position you'll know what you need to do to get promoted.

SgtHMH
06-10-07, 09:19 PM
First you need to get through Boot Camp. Then learn your MOS job and work at it well. Do MCIs and do what ever comes up to get letters of appriciation. Also with this War going on you will most likely get deployed and do you job well. You will get PFC, then LCPL, then with time and grade and scores and taking the NCO MCI CPL. Then lead and train your lower ranking Marines the best you can, watch out for them, do everything you can for them. With time and grade or maybe better you will get SGT. Then after SGT, you have to do fitness reports to get SSGT, pictures and a report sent in on you. Also to get Gunny, you have to do the samething. Now on Master Sgt and First SGT, Master SGT is a combat billit and First SGT is a Admin Billit, you have to do a fitness report and picture on these to. Also SGT Major is a Admin Billit amd Master Gunny SGT is a combat Billit and you have to do the same with these a fitness report. SGT Major of the Marine Corps is selected and also is Amin Billit, but same rank as this two. I was going to be promoted to SSGT but was injuried in the line of duty as a State Police Officer.

Semper Fi

futureMarine418
06-13-07, 05:41 PM
Thank you for the info. What did you mean by go to the drill field? also why is 5800 one of the slowest promoting fields?

Zulu 36
06-13-07, 06:16 PM
Thank you for the info. What did you mean by go to the drill field? also why is 5800 one of the slowest promoting fields?
5800 has always been a slow field for promotions. It is a fairly small MOS (only a few thousand total), so the number of available slots is smaller. Plus, it is divided between MPs and Corrections.

5800 people who get meritiorious promotions on the drill field, in recruiting, etc, take up slots as well. No slot is necessarily open when the merit promotion is made, but when a vacancy occurs, it is considered filled by the meritorious.

So, if HQMC decides there will be 50 5800-field SSgt slots in a given year, but during that year 10 people make meritorious SSgt for whatever reason, only 40 slots will actually be available for regular promotion. The Sergeants at the lower end of the list get it in the pooper. Sh*t happens. These numbers are just made up figures for illustration purposes

I made sergeant in 25-months total service. Meritorious PFC from boot camp, lance coolie by time-in-grade, meritorious Cpl in Vietnam, then Sgt with a little over time-in-grade. But I made my rank as a 3531 (Motor T) primary MOS. I was a 5811 secondary.

Go to the drill field means become a drill instructor.

MSgtBowling
06-16-07, 12:36 AM
It only takes as long as you make it. When you develop all the leadership traits and skills to lead Marines in Combat. Then you will be a Sgt. I have known Marines who picked up in two years in Combat and others who had not picked up in 8 years. It is really up to you and your ability. There is always a way, but you have to be willing to reach for it.