PDA

View Full Version : Marine injured in Iraq happy to be back on the Harbor

thedrifter
06-10-07, 07:49 AM
Marine injured in Iraq happy to be back on the Harbor

By Anne Radford - Daily World Writer

Saturday, June 9, 2007 11:20 PM PDT

Alex Becker was injured in a Iraq town called Karma.

The 21-year-old, who was shot and wounded during a mission near Fallujah with the U.S. Marines on New Year’s Day, knows how surprising that is.

“It’s pretty weird,” he said. “I guess it happened for a reason.”

Becker, a lance corporal who was deployed to Iraq last July, served as a machine gunner for his convoy. When it was attacked, his fellow Marines automatically demonstrated their extensive training, he recalls.

“It didn’t register that I had been shot for 30 seconds, because I was focused on my job and making sure everyone was safe,” he said. “Everyone did their job very well. ... Everything happened real fast. I stayed calm and did what I could.”

Becker was taken to an area hospital before being transported to a German hospital, and later, back to the United States.

Perhaps karma followed him as he astonished doctors with the rapid improvements to his left arm, wrist and hand, which were severely injured in the fighting.

What’s more is that after months of recovering in military hospitals and undergoing eight surgeries, Alex arrived in Aberdeen last week in time for two very important events.

On Friday, he was baptized at the Aberdeen First Presbyterian Church with his two 6-year-old brothers, Sam Becker and Dominic Becker-Brown. His mother, Stephanie, works as a secretary at the church.

Dominic needed only one word when asked if he was happy his brother was back: “Yes!”

Sam tried to roughhouse a little with his big brother, watching out for his injured arm.

“I tell him to just do this arm, not that arm,” Alex said.

Then, on Saturday, Alex was able to attend another important family event: his brother’s graduation from Aberdeen High School.

“I’m glad to be back,” Alex said. “I’m glad to be able to see my brother graduate.”

The graduate, his 17-year-old brother Cameron Crawford, was happy too.

“It’s nice to see him,” he said.

Ohio-bound

Alex attended Robert Gray Elementary School until the family moved to Ohio in the mid 1990s. He graduated from high school in Westerville, Ohio, and immediately joined the Marines.

His parents are divorced, but both live in Aberdeen.

Before Alex heads back to Ohio, he has a whole week ahead of him with his family, including Cameron’s graduation party on Tuesday out in Ocean Shores. He has been spending most of his time with his three brothers and sister, KayeLee Crawford.

“It’s good to be back in a relaxing environment and enjoy the weather,” he said.

The biggest activity for the siblings has been eating.

“He still has the same personality,” KayeLee, 16, said. “Goofy and loud. He’s still the same.”

Life won’t slow down much for Alex now that he’s back in the United States. He plans to either attend college or find a job, possibly in Aberdeen, as he won’t serve any more time with the Marines.

He’s getting married to his high school sweetheart, Melissa Cruz, in Ohio in August.

“We’ve known each other forever,” he said. “She’s stood by me throughout all this.”

Hours of therapy

Alex has 30 screws and two large plates in his forearm. The bullets shattered his forearm and did damage to his wrist and hand. The radial nerve in his left hand was severed.

He pushed himself through 5 hours of physical therapy a day for several months, and can now grab small things and move his fingers.

“The surgeon was surprised it was that quick and that much,” Alex said.

His mother recalls the moments after her son got off the plane for his Aberdeen visit.

Unaware of how much his arm and hand had improved, she thought she saw movement as he walked toward her.

She dismissed it as wishful thinking, until she saw his huge smile.

“It’s great to have him back,” his father, Chris Crawford, said. “He did really good with his rehabilitation. ... His fingers can move. That’s a great thing.”

Ellie