PDA

View Full Version : Proficiency Test?

Garrick
06-09-07, 01:11 PM
I'm 17 and just got out for break from my junior year. I feel as if I'm ready to go into the Corp now instead of going back to school in August. I can take the California High School Proficiency Test and recieve a highschool diploma from the state. I'm just wondering... Will the marines accept that as a highschool diploma? I know the situation with GED's, being a quota and all, but I was wondering if it was the same as this. My grades have always been good and Im reasonably sure I'll score high on the ASVAB, as all the practice tests I've taken have gone well. Will a recruiter sign me up with a certificate of proficiency?

Ebsteen
06-09-07, 01:46 PM
This is just my opinion but, if I were you I would stick it out until you graduate. Something that I learned in The Corps and also in my job as a police officer is to have patience. A quote that I made up and use with kids that I deal with in situations such as yours may help. "Don't ever give up on a dream due to the amount of time it will take to achieve it,...the time will pass anyway."

NO MATTER HOW MANY TIMES YOU KNOCK A MARINE DOWN, HE'S GOING TO GET BACK UP!

Garrick
06-09-07, 04:30 PM
I've been told that, I just feel as if my senior year is almost a waste, my classes are kind of bottom out type stuff, and it will just be another cruise year of stuff I dont care to deal with again. I'm actually beginning to tire of highschool drama and the ever present anti-bush/war attitude that my teachers seem to carry. It's not that the entire school is like that, (My PE teacher is a former marine sniper) but the higher end classes seem to consist of highly liberal teachers whose twist on history and current affairs I don't appreciate. Again, it isn't an escape type thing for me, I've wanted to join the Corp since about 4th grade, I just really feel that I'm ready to do it now. I'm just curious as to what my recruiter (if I can ever get a hold of him) is going to say about the Proficiency Cert over a diploma from the school

Marine84
06-09-07, 04:37 PM
Finish school first - why 1/2 a$$ do something? And you're only 17, what do your parents think of this decision to not go back to school in August?

Garrick
06-09-07, 06:32 PM
My parents are willing to let me, because they know its what I've wanted and I'm dedicated to, and know I've been training hard for about a year for it. Theyr helping me do the proficiency test, and will sign the papers saying it's ok for me not to go back to school and will sign my Marine papers also. And even if the Marines won't take the Certificate (Which I Hope They Will), I understand that if I have 9 college credits its equal to a highschool diploma to the Corps anyways? So I'll just attend some college until then.

Sgt D
06-09-07, 08:54 PM
Finish school

winniele
06-09-07, 08:58 PM
Look Garrick, if you are willing to take some college classes to get your high school diploma, might as well finish your high school year. I agree with Marine84, why half ass do something? and plus, I never heard of taking college classes is equal to a high diploma in the Corps. Just to be safe, finish your senior year. that's my advice.

devilpup82
06-10-07, 05:36 AM
My half brother looked into that as well. This was about 5 years ago, and the military would NOT accept the CHSPE. The college credits will work as well as the GED. Enjoy your last year of school! 20 years from now, you will regret it if you don't.

MSgtBowling
06-10-07, 10:25 PM
The Corps is looking for motivated young men like you. They are not looking for quiters, stay the course and graduate!