PDA

View Full Version : Rock legend Aerosmith tours Nimitz

thedrifter
06-09-07, 09:47 AM
Rock legend Aerosmith tours Nimitz

Friday, June 08, 2007

By MCSN Sarah E. Bitter USS Nimitz

USS NIMITZ, At Sea - Sailors and Marines aboard the nuclear-powered aircraft carrier USS Nimitz (CVN 6 were surprised by a visit from the legendary rock band Aerosmith May 30.

"Hi everybody, this is Aerosmith. Hope you guys are having fun and playing safe - and, always remember, 'dude looks like a lady,'" yelled Aerosmith's lead singer Steven Tyler over the ship's 1MC.

Band members who joined Tyler on board Nimitz during the ship's first Middle East port visit included Brad Whitford, Tom Hamilton, and Joey Kramer.

As the band walked up the officer's brow they were applauded and cheered by Nimitz crew members. Storekeeper 1st Class (SW) Jacob Rico was one of the thrilled Aerosmith fans who met the band and had his photo taken with Tyler.

"It's unbelievable; I have been to three of their concerts and I always went out of my way to see the band up close and it never happened," said Rico. "It was cool that it happened on my duty day. He [Steven Tyler] just looked up at me and said, "This is a big ship." I said, "Yeah, come on up."

The band's tour took them to primary flight control (Pri-Fly), the Pilot House, Vulture's Row and the flight deck. While walking around the ship, Tyler and the band took time to talk to fans, sign autographs and have their pictures taken.

Aerosmith performed at a nearby venue the next night, and Nimitz' Morale, Welfare and Recreation (MWR) sold more than 400 tickets to Sailors and Marines, enabling many crew members to watch the band they just met rock out on stage far from home.

Ellie