PDA

View Full Version : Wounded soldier celebrates his luck: Despite losing his legs in a bombing in Iraq, Ha

thedrifter
06-09-07, 08:12 AM
Wounded soldier celebrates his luck: Despite losing his legs in a bombing in Iraq, Hanson man moving ahead with his life
By DON CONKEY
The Patriot Ledger

Brian Fountaine has suffered, struggled, healed and triumphed for a year now. ‘‘I’m just happy where I am right now,’’ said Fountaine, an Army sergeant and Hanson native who nearly died when two bombs ripped through his Humvee just outside Baghdad last June 8. He lost both his lower legs to the explosions.

He has spent much of his time since then at Walter Reed Army Medical Center in Bethesda, Md., battling his way back to independence.

There have been setbacks, most seriously an infection in his left leg that stalled his efforts to walk with prosthetic legs.

The 25-year-old has been through both physical and emotional pain: Nightmares of the bombing still haunt his sleep.

But, Fountaine said, he has a lot to be happy about today. The main thing is, he said, he’s alive.

The problems he experienced because of the infection are largely behind him, he said. His legs are still sore at times, but he has been able to walk. He has been undergoing pool therapy at Walter Reed, wearing the prosthetics in the pool and jogging in the water, building up his strength and learning how to use his new feet.

Most importantly, Fountaine is getting on with his life. He and his girlfriend, Mary Long, got engaged and plan to marry a year from now on the second anniversary of that life-altering day in Baghdad.

Despite all he has gone through in the past year, Fountaine knows he is fortunate. ‘‘I came home in something other than a wooden box,’’ he said.

That feeling of being among the lucky ones was all the more intense Friday when there was a funeral and burial for Army Pfc. Matthew Bean of Pembroke. Bean, 22, was fatally shot by a sniper May 19 while he and other members of the 10th Mountain Division searched for three missing U.S. soldiers in the Sunni Triangle.

‘‘To at least a small degree, I can understand the pain his family is going through,’’ Fountaine said. ‘‘I have lost a lot of good friends over there. I am losing them as we speak. Regardless of whether they are Army, Marines or Air Force, they are my battle brothers,’’ he said.

Fountaine graduated from Whitman-Hanson High School in 2000 and volunteered for the military after the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks. He was on his second tour in Iraq when he was wounded.

‘‘I have seen the absolute best in people, people who have gone way out of their way to help,’’ he said. ‘‘I would not be where I am today without the great support I have gotten from not only family and friends, but also from my community and the whole state.’’

Fountaine is home on a 30-day leave.

Family and friends gathered Friday at his mother’s house in Hanson to mark the first anniversary of the day he was wounded.

‘‘We are having a big celebration,’’ he said. ‘‘I’m calling it my ‘alive day.’’’

Don Conkey may be reached at dconkey@ledger.com .

Ellie