PDA

View Full Version : How much muscle mass will I loose, if any?

BassoonistKT
06-08-07, 02:06 PM
I've been hearing from a lot of Marines who say they ended boot camp weaker then when they went in. I have been told it is because there is so much endurance training and because when your body runs out of fat to burn for energy it moves to muscle. I am honestly a little worried about this, and I would really like to know how boot camp does affect strength.
thank you!

Echo_Four_Bravo
06-08-07, 02:39 PM
It depends on what your condition is before you go to boot camp. If you're benching 300 pounds, you'll be weaker when you're done. If you're the average couch potato then you'll be stronger.

BassoonistKT
06-08-07, 02:50 PM
I have been warned because I have a very small body type, and if I lost anymore weight I would probably look anorexic. Also, I have been teased about being given double rations-do they actually do that? I mostly am curious because I am training to be an acrobat/gymnast and I don't want to loose the stunts I have been working so hard to master.

Zulu 36
06-08-07, 03:01 PM
Well, you're a female (obviously) so body mass will be different than the male types around here. If you are going into the Corps, you will need to prepare your body for the Corps. If that means losing a step or two in gymnastics, than that is what you have to do.

It's a decision you have to make if body types are incompatible: Marine Corps or gymnast.

Marine84
06-08-07, 05:58 PM
I gained 7 lbs when I went through - went in at 115. Don't sweat it - just keep practicing the other stuff during your off time and you won't lose out on a thing.

And, yes, if you are underweight (according to the Corps), they DO give you double. Unless you're below 100 lbs - don't sweat it.

BR34
06-09-07, 08:32 AM
I lost 18lbs in boot camp. And I wasn't even fat when I went in. I left boot camp with stretch marks on my arms. Most of the male Marines I know lost muscle mass...just cause there ain't much protein in that chow hall food.