PDA

View Full Version : Pace Out as Chairman

marinemom
06-08-07, 12:35 PM
Mullen Tabbed to Head Chiefs of Staff
Updated 1:20 PM ET June 8, 2007

By LOLITA BALDOR

WASHINGTON (AP) - Defense Secretary Robert Gates announced Friday he has decided against recommending Marine Gen. Peter Pace to President Bush for a new term as chairman of the military Joint Chiefs of Staff.

Pace told reporters at the Pentagon that, instead, he is recommending Adm. Mike Mullen, currently chief of naval operations, to take Pace's job.

Gates said he decided not to recommend Pace's renomination for another term because confirmation hearings on that would focus more on the past than the future.

Mullen, he said, has the "vision, strategic insight and integrity to lead America's armed forces."

This is a breaking news update. Check back soon for further information. AP's earlier story is below.

WASHINGTON (AP) _ Defense Secretary Robert Gates announced Friday he has recommended Adm. Mike Mullen, currently chief of naval operations, to become the next chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.

Gates said that Mullen has the "vision strategic insight and integrity to lead America's armed forces."

If formally appointed by President Bush and confirmed by the Senate, Mullen would replace Marine Gen. Peter Pace as the nation's top military officer.

Pace has been in his post for six years _ a period that covers the Iraq war. Gates said that until recently, he had intended to renominate the Marine general for another two years.

But he said that after consulting with senators in both parties, he had concluded that "the focus of his confirmation process would have been on the past and not on the future."

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

drumcorpssnare
06-08-07, 01:08 PM
Gen. Pace should tell Secretary Gates, "I got your Joint Chief...right here!":D
drumcorpssnare:usmc:

ggyoung
06-08-07, 01:22 PM
Gen. Pace was and still a good friend of the troops. This adm.mullen is he going to be another adm. Zoom? If he is watch out.

jetdawgg
06-08-07, 02:48 PM
DAMN!!!!!!:usmc:

thedrifter
06-08-07, 03:45 PM
Gates taps new JCS chairman, vice chair <br />
By William H. McMichael - Staff writer <br />
Posted : Friday Jun 8, 2007 15:59:11 EDT <br />
<br />
Saying he feared a contentious re-nomination hearing in the Senate that...

thedrifter
06-08-07, 03:53 PM
Peter Pace bio box

By The Associated Press

NAME: Peter Pace.

AGE-BIRTHDATE: 61; Nov. 5, 1945; New York City.

EDUCATION: U.S. Naval Academy, 1967; master's degree in business administration from George Washington University; attended National War College, 1985-86.

EXPERIENCE: chairman, Joint Chiefs of Staff, September 2005-present; vice chairman, Joint Chiefs of Staff, October 2001-August 2005; commander, U.S. Southern Command, 2000-01; commander, U.S. Marine Corps Forces Atlantic, 1997-2000; deputy commander/chief of staff, U.S. Forces-Japan, 1994; commanding officer, 2nd battalion, 1st Marines, 1983-85; operations officer, 2nd battalion, 5th Marines, Camp Pendleton, Calif., 1976; Rifle platoon leader and assistant operations officer, Vietnam, 1968-69.

FAMILY: Wife, Lynne, two children.

QUOTE: "Emotions on the battlefield are intense. It's good to stop and check your moral compass."

Ellie

thedrifter
06-08-07, 03:56 PM
Top US military officer replaced under shadow of Iraq war <br />
<br />
by Jim Mannion <br />
12 minutes ago <br />
<br />
US Defense Secretary Robert Gates announced Friday he is replacing General Peter Pace as chairman of...

10thzodiac
06-08-07, 06:23 PM
<TABLE class=contentpaneopen><TBODY><TR><TD class=contentheading width="100%">Bye Bye Perfect Peter (http://www.atlanticfreepress.com/content/view/1745/1/) </TD><TD class=buttonheading align=right width="100%">http://www.atlanticfreepress.com/templates/Cool_Blue/images/pdf_button.png </TD><TD class=buttonheading align=right width="100%"></TD><TD class=buttonheading align=right width="100%"></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class=contentpaneopen><TBODY><TR><TD>Opinion (http://www.atlanticfreepress.com/content/category/1/1/32/) </TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left width="70%" colSpan=2>Written by Larry C. Johnson (http://www.atlanticfreepress.com/component/option,com_comprofiler/task,userProfile/Itemid,2/user,131/) </TD></TR><TR><TD class=createdate vAlign=top colSpan=2>Friday, 08 June 2007 </TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top colSpan=2>by Larry C Johnson

http://www.atlanticfreepress.com/images/stories/larryjohnson/peterpace.jpg Let there be no doubt — Perfect Peter Pace has been shown the door because of his letter to Judge Walton pleading on behalf of Scooter Libby. That letter was the final straw demonstrating his incompetence and political tin ear as Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. How can you call call upon troops to conduct themselves with honor and integrity when you make lame excuses for the conduct of a convicted perjurer and obstructer of justice like Scooter Libby. Pace's Libby letter was the tipping point. His status, already shaky with the debacle of Iraq and a six year record of failure, became toxic with that letter.

"Perfect" Peter Pace and I share one thing in common. We both worked, at one time in our careers, for a crusty old Marine Colonel, Dominick (Dick) R. Gannon. Dick Gannon is like a second father to me and has been a critical mentor in my life. Dick is a warrior's warrior, not afraid to fight, but would not put troops in harm's way unless there is a good reason and clear objective. During the invasion of Grenada in 1983, Dick reported to Senior State Department officials that a team of Navy SEALS, who had been dropped into the ocean to infiltrate the island, had drowned and that a new mission was being organized. The State Department officials said, "never mind, it is not that important".

When Dick recounted this incident to me in 1989 he still boiled with anger. How dare U.S. officials send military personnel on a mission where their lives were at risk that was not important or critical. I learned from Dick that a leader — military or political — should not ever do such a thing. Unfortunately, Peter Pace did not listen closely enough to Dick.

I believe that Perfect Peter has dishonored himself and dishonored the Marine Corps by his conduct — his weak, vacillating leadership and his craven pandering to political masters. Pace's nickname, "Perfect Peter", is not a term of endearment. It is an acknowledgment that Peter has been more willing than others to sell his soul for political expediency. He leaves in September. Good riddance.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

10thzodiac
06-08-07, 06:23 PM
<TABLE class=contentpaneopen><TBODY><TR><TD class=contentheading width="100%">Bye Bye Perfect Peter (http://www.atlanticfreepress.com/content/view/1745/1/) </TD><TD class=buttonheading align=right width="100%">http://www.atlanticfreepress.com/templates/Cool_Blue/images/pdf_button.png </TD><TD class=buttonheading align=right width="100%"></TD><TD class=buttonheading align=right width="100%"></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class=contentpaneopen><TBODY><TR><TD>Opinion (http://www.atlanticfreepress.com/content/category/1/1/32/) </TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left width="70%" colSpan=2>Written by Larry C. Johnson (http://www.atlanticfreepress.com/component/option,com_comprofiler/task,userProfile/Itemid,2/user,131/) </TD></TR><TR><TD class=createdate vAlign=top colSpan=2>Friday, 08 June 2007 </TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top colSpan=2>by Larry C Johnson

http://www.atlanticfreepress.com/images/stories/larryjohnson/peterpace.jpg Let there be no doubt — Perfect Peter Pace has been shown the door because of his letter to Judge Walton pleading on behalf of Scooter Libby. That letter was the final straw demonstrating his incompetence and political tin ear as Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. How can you call call upon troops to conduct themselves with honor and integrity when you make lame excuses for the conduct of a convicted perjurer and obstructer of justice like Scooter Libby. Pace's Libby letter was the tipping point. His status, already shaky with the debacle of Iraq and a six year record of failure, became toxic with that letter.

"Perfect" Peter Pace and I share one thing in common. We both worked, at one time in our careers, for a crusty old Marine Colonel, Dominick (Dick) R. Gannon. Dick Gannon is like a second father to me and has been a critical mentor in my life. Dick is a warrior's warrior, not afraid to fight, but would not put troops in harm's way unless there is a good reason and clear objective. During the invasion of Grenada in 1983, Dick reported to Senior State Department officials that a team of Navy SEALS, who had been dropped into the ocean to infiltrate the island, had drowned and that a new mission was being organized. The State Department officials said, "never mind, it is not that important".

When Dick recounted this incident to me in 1989 he still boiled with anger. How dare U.S. officials send military personnel on a mission where their lives were at risk that was not important or critical. I learned from Dick that a leader — military or political — should not ever do such a thing. Unfortunately, Peter Pace did not listen closely enough to Dick.

I believe that Perfect Peter has dishonored himself and dishonored the Marine Corps by his conduct — his weak, vacillating leadership and his craven pandering to political masters. Pace's nickname, "Perfect Peter", is not a term of endearment. It is an acknowledgment that Peter has been more willing than others to sell his soul for political expediency. He leaves in September. Good riddance.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

DougRagan
06-09-07, 07:42 AM
http://www.blackfive.net/main/2007/06/to_general_pace.html

Cassandra offers a toast (http://www.villainouscompany.com/vcblog/archives/2007/06/a_toast.html), which I am proud to join. Let us all raise a glass to the man today. He has served well and long -- forty years an officer, next year; the first Marine to serve as Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. There aren't many who can say they've done all he has done. Semper Fi, sir.

jetdawgg
06-09-07, 08:42 AM
I don't know of any JCS that was fired before. General Pace was keeping us out of Iran. He served well as a Marine should. He led the pushback against the politicos in DC that want to jump full steam ahead into Iran.

I think that this is also the first time that the JCS has not been reappointed.

General Pace we stand behind you sir:usmc:

bigdog43701
06-09-07, 09:09 AM
jet,

finally you have said something that i agree with 100% (don't let it be known or i'll denie it). i too stand 100% behind General PACE/

jetdawgg
06-09-07, 09:14 AM
bigdog General Pace is a very intelligent Marine and speaks his mind. He upset some homos a while back. He is a Marine and people will be upset with him. It is just part of being a Marine.

These hacks in DC have run their course with me. It is unprecedented what has happened herehttp://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u17/jetdawgg/post_usmc_168th-birthday_ww2.jpg

ggyoung
06-09-07, 11:05 AM
10z I think you are full of BS on your take on this one. Gen. Pete went were no Marine has gone before. He lead the Marine Corp and the rest through some of the worat worst waters this country has ever seen. I am proud to say I wish that I could have served under him. With 2 sons making the service there life job they say he is the best. S/F Gen. Pace.

redneck13
06-09-07, 01:57 PM
:evilgrin: :iwo: :flag: It's all a bunch of political crap. Since when does the Navy have ground pounder's 'cept the Corps? What does he know about War? I think I heard this right, but almost all the chief's now are Navy. Iran? Some say we don't need to take care of them?...better look at who's behind all this mess!! Now who's got the guts to finish the job? Some Naval Admiral? Will he stick to his own way's, or be another "politician" instead of a "Military" for the troop person? I think it flat sucks. Afraid of some fight about his nomination? Give me a break.
The US and other countries didn't ask for these terrorist to come in and start attacking us, so don't blame The Marine General.....the terrorists brought the fight to Iraq, mostly supplied by Iran, as there is too much proof of this. No matter what, we need to finish the job. Look at what happened to Isreal, when it was pressured to pull back out of Lebanon? The exact same thing is going to happen to America, if we don't eliminate, as long as it takes these evil people. Look at the Lebanese Army? They pushed them terrorists into a corner, and wiped many out. And, Hesbulah? You're next you filth.
Now carry on you worm destined Maggot's.

jetdawgg
06-09-07, 02:03 PM
I hope that this country does not get any softer.

I agree with the part about the Navy not knowing much about ground pounding. When you want to win, even in football, you ground it out in the 4th quarter.

Again, General Pace is a very intelligent and honest Marine. His leadership in keeping the politicians and homos in place, while treading in a hornets nest is remarkable.:usmc:

10thzodiac
06-12-07, 09:29 AM
10z I think you are full of BS on your take on this one. Gen. Pete went were no Marine has gone before. He lead the Marine Corp and the rest through some of the worat worst waters this country has ever seen. I am proud to say I wish that I could have served under him. With 2 sons making the service there life job they say he is the best. S/F Gen. Pace.

It is far more likely than not that Peter Pace took an oath having to do with protecting and defending the Constitution of the United States of America. With his very life, if necessary. That being so, what do you suppose he was doing at a secret meeting of the North American Forum held at Banff, Canada from September 12th-14th, 2006 ? Article 32, anyone ?

On September 26, 2006 the Muckraker Report spoke with Hollen Wheeler, Department of Defense Director of Public Affairs, and confirmed that Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld was indeed invited and scheduled to participate in the 2006 North American Forum in Banff, Alberta, Canada on September 12-14, 2006. But according to Wheeler, Rumsfeld was unable to attend, so he sent the Chief of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, General Peter Pace, in his stead.

General Peter Pace might not realize that he participated in a conspiratorial forum that aims to dissolve the sovereignty of the United States of America. If Pace did understand the ultimate purpose of the forum, then he has compromised his oath to support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic. He also might have violated the Uniform Code of Military Justice, behavior unbecoming of a United States Marine Corps Officer, by attending a secret meeting meant to further the process of bypassing the people’s representative government, the U.S. Congress, in order to:

· Adopt a common external tariff for the three former sovereign nations of Canada, Mexico, and the United States

· Adopt a North American approach to regulation which will supercede the U.S. Congress

· Secure the perimeters of the new union by 2010 rather than the borders between the former nations

· Steal tax dollars – taxation without representation – by establishing a North American investment fund for infrastructure and human capital

· Establish a permanent tribunal – a court system that will supercede the U.S. court system and the Supreme Court – for dispute resolution

· Hold annual summits that will bring the figure heads-of-state together for the sake of convincing the people of the former nations that their nations are still sovereign when they will be in name only. This recommendation is clear evidence that a great fraud and treasonous act against the 440 million people that live in Canada, Mexico, and the United States is well underway

· Create a non-elected, non-representative North American Advisory Council

· Create a non-elected, non-representative Inter-Parliamentary Group

This entire scheme is by far the greatest threat facing the United States today. Not terrorism. Not the war in Iraq. Not Iran. Not radical Islam. These issues; the terrorism, Iraq, Iran, Israel, Middle East headlines, are only meant to scare the meek and distract the disenfranchised into deeper, willful surrender to the agendas of globalists and elitists who believe it is their purpose, and within their authority and jurisdiction, to decide what is best for the people of Canada, Mexico, and the United States.

Those responsible and supportive of the North American Union must be stopped at any cost.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." ~ Thomas Jefferson

drumcorpssnare
06-12-07, 01:08 PM
Hey 10thz- Give your "tin-foil" hat a break. Put on your little striped beanie with the propellor on top.:D

yellowwing
06-12-07, 01:50 PM
My two shekels, there's been a lot of talk about Iran. Its not a secret that we don't have the boots on the ground or equipment available to go all out driving to Tehran.

We do have all kinds of ships and first strike aircraft ready to raise hell. So it only makes sense to appoint an Admiral to manage the show. General Pace is pretty smart but doesn't have the experience and training of fighting a surface fleet in the Straits of Hormuz.

jetdawgg
06-12-07, 01:56 PM
Yellowing, just why are we going to fight IRAN now?

yellowwing
06-12-07, 02:07 PM
Unlike Saddam, they really are keen on developing nuclear nasties. And now there is finger pointing that they are arming the Taliban.

For some reason it makes more sense to the war planners to bomb Iran than it is to crop dust the Taliban opium?

Go figure! :nerd:

(does that rate me a tin-foil hat or propeller beanie?)

jetdawgg
06-12-07, 02:16 PM
The evidence shows that they are years away from developing a nuclear weapon. The only reason they want one is that Israel has one.

Diplomacy will work here. War will further erode the situation.

drumcorpssnare
06-12-07, 02:26 PM
jetdawgg- "The only reason they want one is because Israel has one"

WRONG!!!

The only reason Iran wants nuclear weapons is to obliterate the Jewish race!
They have said so, publicly, numerous times.:evilgrin:

Jet, when someone threatens to sneak up behind you, when you least expect it, and blow your head off with a sawed-off double-barreled shotgun, you don't ask them if they want to discuss it.
Instead, you do EVERYTHING in your power to see that they can't procure that 12 ga. and suprise you!

That's the way the "rational" world feels about Iran and nuclear weapons!

jetdawgg
06-12-07, 02:44 PM
Drums Ahmadinejad did not say that he wanted to destroy Israel. That was a misinterpretation by a member of the press.

Dimona is the location where the Israelis have their weapons. They won't sign any treaties that state that they don't have them. This is where the rub is coming from.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/wmd/world/israel/nuke.htm

This is a case where the Iranians are saying that 'since the other folks won't give up theirs, I'll get mine....'

drumcorpssnare
06-12-07, 02:57 PM
jetdawgg- Israel has had nuclear capabilities for decades, and has never threatened to nuke anyone. So, you think Iran should have nukes...to escalate the arms race?
Yeah, great idea! We all know how warm and cozy the last arms race was!

And though you refuse to see...one of the "keystones" the jihadist movement wants to "remove"...is Israel. Check your history jet. The Jewish people have been a point of contention in the Middle East, since Biblical times.

jetdawgg
06-12-07, 03:11 PM
Israel has been waging war against the people of the MENA for 40 years now.

The USA has been attacked by them (Israel) including the killing of Marines:usmc: by Israeli troops.

Again, the nuclear capability has lead to an arms race over there. Granted the issues did not start yesterday however, the nukes can't help the situation at all.

I don't think Iran should have nukes. I also don't think it is realistic to think Israel can nukes and others won't want to have them too.

drumcorpssnare
06-12-07, 03:45 PM
"People in hell want icewater...doesn't mean thay should have it!":D

ggyoung
06-12-07, 03:48 PM
Jet++++++++++++++++My 2 cents, I think that there is a lot more to the "USS Liberty" than we will ever know. Some were deep in the DOD are papers that will say so. We know now that the "USS Peblo(sp)" by the north korens was done so by order from mother russa(sp this is a bad day). I know that this is to different things. I beleve that there is so much sh-t going on that we know nothing about. One last thing What is the cheapst thing this country has? It is the lifes of our service men. Don't let them blow smoke up your butt. It is just that.

FistFu68
06-12-07, 05:01 PM
:evilgrin: GENERAL PACE,WAS DRIVIN OUT;THE MARINE CORPS HAS A HISTORY.OF DRIVING THE GOOD MARINES OUT,ALWAY'S HAS.ALWAY'S WILL BE!!! THE U.S.NAVY,SEAL'S ARE GONNA CALL UPON;MARINES TO RESCUE THEIR ASSES AS USUAL!!!TACTICAL STRATEGIC BOMBING,WILL OUT DO;ANYTHING THE CONVENTIONAL NAVY HAS IN MIND.TOMAHAWK CRUISE MISSLES ARE A FRIGGING JOKE,UNLESS TIPPED WITH A NUKE!!!:evilgrin: :flag: