View Full Version : Asheville High graduates are ready to move on

thedrifter
06-08-07, 08:06 AM
Asheville High graduates are ready to move on

By Andre A. Rodriguez
ARODRIGUEZ@CITIZEN-TIMES.COM
June 8, 2007 12:15 am

School: Asheville High School.

The ceremony: 7 p.m. Thursday, Thomas Wolfe Auditorium.

Number of graduates: 267.

Sounds of the evening: Enthusiastic friends and family members cheering for the graduates.

What students were saying:

Brandon Jones, 17: Looks forward to a career in the Marines. “I’ve always looked up to the Marines. My dad wanted to be a Marine. My grandpa was a Marine, and my cousin is a Marine.”

James King, 18: Feels marvelous about reaching graduation day. He said he’ll miss “all the good times we had (at Asheville High).”

What the speakers said:

Jeff Frazer, co-student body president: “Some of us have been together since kindergarten, while others we’ve just met. Even though we weren’t all together on the first day of kindergarten, we share one thing in common. The moms, dads and guardians who cried on that day are probably crying here tonight, as well.”

Will Cogswell, salutatorian: He admonished his classmates to not look down on others because they came from a different background. “Just because a group of people doesn’t share your beliefs, doesn’t mean you have to declare them an axis of evil.”

Margaret Sweatt, valedictorian: “If Asheville High is a community, then it is a community where we’ve all found a niche.”

What parents were saying:

Tammy McDowell felt good that her daughter, Ariel Crump, 18, completed high school and will be attending N.C. Central University in the fall. “She’s never been in trouble, and she’s going to college, so I’m feeling blessed right now.”

Debra Boyd didn’t think she’d think she’d ever see the day when her son, James King, 18, would receive his diploma. “Thanks to the Lord we made it through.”

Other tidbits:

Loudest applause: When the class of 2007 was asked to rise and turn their tassels from the right side to left side.

Long-winded: English teacher Keith Pittman successfully made it through 267 names.

Final farewells: Superintendent Robert Logan and Principal Judd Porter attended their last Asheville High graduation on Thursday. Logan is taking a job in Raleigh, and Porter is retiring.

Ellie