PDA

View Full Version : Marine's treatment angers Jerseyans

thedrifter
06-08-07, 06:25 AM
Marine's treatment angers Jerseyans
Friday, June 8, 2007

By HEATHER HADDON
HERALD NEWS

As a World War II veteran, Manfred Anson understands the need to drop everything to respond to life or death threats. But he doubts that recruiting duty creates any such calamities. And they certainly don't take precedence over the wellbeing of someone's child.

"He goes home to take care of his son. And you put someone through a court-martial for that?" said Anson, 85. "I think it's shameful."

Anson was among Herald News readers who reacted angrily in e-mails and interviews to the story of Sgt. Chris Cassese -- a former Marine recruiter who was court-martialed for quitting his duties at the Clifton office when, by his account, his command prevented him from responding to a family emergency.

On Oct. 19, Cassese's 10-year-old son threatened to kill himself because of his father's growing work commitments.

Those who responded to Cassese's story don't know him personally. But many said that, considering the war effort, soldiers should be supported, not disgraced.

David Anthony Jr. comes from a four-Marine family, and he watches the Clifton recruiters with pride from his office on Colfax Avenue. Cassese's situation so enraged him, he started calling his elected officials.

"It's horrible," said Anthony, 50. "He did the right thing. He did what any parent would do."

Natalie Martin, 37, of Haledon, agreed. "He showed his priorities," said Martin, a mother of two. "He should be honored."

This week, a court-martial panel found Cassese guilty of disobeying a superior officer's request to stay at work. A jury found Cassese guilty and demoted him one rank. Cassese's lawyer appealed the ruling.

Capt. Don Caetano, a Marine spokesman for New Jersey, said the command will comment on the case only when they decide on Cassese's appeal.

Larry Scott, a veteran from Washington state who runs a VA advocacy group, was sympathetic to Cassese's plight. But he thought Cassese should have followed military protocol and taken his issue up the chain of command. Walking out, he said, was an unfortunate mistake.

"Under the pressure he's under, I would imagine someone snapping is not an illogical thing to do. It's just not a very military thing to do," Scott said.

Barbara Marrone's father and brother both served in the Air Force, and she felt appalled by Cassese's treatment. To Marrone, it offended her deep sense of patriotism.

"I was outraged that anyone, especially someone defending our country, would be forced to make that decision," said Marrone, of Nutley, who has offered to buy groceries for military personnel she sees in supermarkets.

Martin felt Cassese set an example for fathers who don't involve themselves in their children's lives.

"He took into account the seriousness of the situation, and didn't just say, 'get over it,'" Martin said. "I got tears in my eyes when I saw that. It's a big thing."

The Casseses still feel loyal to the military. Cassese's wife returned to work on Thursday in a Marines T-shirt, and she feels good about a cousin's recent decision to enlist. A Marine flag still flies over the Bergenfield house where Cassese's parents live.

Manfred Anson has lived next door to Cassese's parents for 40 years. He never knew Cassese personally, but hearing about his plight infuriated him.

"This is just petty," Arson said. "He wasn't running away from an enemy. He just left his desk. I would have run out of there, too."

Reach Heather Haddon at 973-569-7121 or haddon@northjersey.com.

Ellie