PDA

View Full Version : Good-bye...Again

thedrifter
06-07-07, 04:46 AM
Good-bye...Again

Jun 06, 2007 - Marines deploying to Iraq on Friday gathered for a final formation Wednesday before leaving home.

The event was more for the families then the Marines themselves.

News 25's Jenny Li shows us saying Good-bye does not get any easier with practice.

Jen Conrad has been here before...this will be her husband's fifth deployment, and his third tour in Iraq.

Conrad is beginning to show a little emotion through her thick armor.

Jen Conrad, SSgt. A.J. Conrad's Wife said, "I think now that our unit's been so close to injuries and we've had Marines killed that I've experienced everything right now and so it is a little more scary, the fear that he may come back injured or you know, not even come back at all and I really try to turn to my faith. You know, God has a plan for us."

There's a saying that the toughest job in Corps is being a Marine's Wife.

Jen Conrad said, "You know, we go through just as many sacrifices and they are, we're not in harm's way but we're here taking care of the kids and our house. Life doesn't stop for us here just because he's gone."

So- like so many times before- the wives, the mothers...the loved ones lean on each other while they're boys are at war.

Kim Pettit, Marine Mom said, "We just pray a lot when we're together. We pray for the whole company and pray for all our service members."

And for those who are enduring this separation for the first time, like Grace O'Loughlin, it's all a bit overwhelming.

Grace O'Loughlin, Marine Girlfriend said, "I don't know what to think. I know it'll be tough but my family will be here for me, and all my friends and stuff. I know I'll make it through it, I don't know..."

Jen Conrad said, "I think the community needs to rally behind these families and just remember they're still there."

The Marines will board busses from here Friday morning and drive to O'Hare Airport. Then they will fly to Camp Lejeune, North Carolina. The Marines will train at Camp Lejeune for about three weeks before attaching with other Engineer Battalion Marines in California.

Their destination after that- Iraq.

Ellie