PDA

View Full Version : Reserves college

sec9
06-06-07, 12:57 AM
I was wondering how the Marines handle reservists missing school for training? For example if I DEP in at the end of this year for boot camp next summer (I will be attending college until then) would I get a defferall letter from my recruiter for the time I would miss when sophmore year starts.

I understand most recruits who go reserves go to boot right after high school then college in the Fall and MCT and MOS the following summer, but in my situation that wont work for me, so I am planning for boot the following summer and if possilbe starting the 92day program then. if that doesnt work then just do all my training at one time like the active duty guys then pick up with school after.

rvillac2
06-06-07, 10:11 AM
Your recruiter doesn't write notes to excuse you from class. ha ha. <br />
<br />
You need to talk to a recruiter to see if you can still do the 92day program after your freshman year. If not, you'll have to...

Marine84
06-06-07, 10:31 AM
Oh Lord........................another one.

davblay
06-06-07, 10:41 AM
Oh Lord........................another one.

USE THE FORCE LUKE---------READ THE POSTS NEW GUYS! That question was answered completely, check the forums archives, it's there! ;)

sec9
06-06-07, 12:25 PM
Your recruiter doesn't write notes to excuse you from class. ha ha.

my recruiter told me that he could write a deferral letter and that the school would not penalize me for missing classes. Is that not the case?

Echo_Four_Bravo
06-06-07, 04:24 PM
He can write the letter, it is up to the school how they deal with it. I have known reserve Marines that ended up with F's on their transcript because of deployments, but usually that can be avoided. If you schedule yourself to ship to boot camp after school is out for the summer you'd probably miss one semester. If you don't enroll the worst thing that could happen is you have to reapply to the school.

sec9
06-06-07, 04:45 PM
He can write the letter, it is up to the school how they deal with it. I have known reserve Marines that ended up with F's on their transcript because of deployments, but usually that can be avoided. If you schedule yourself to ship to boot camp after school is out for the summer you'd probably miss one semester. If you don't enroll the worst thing that could happen is you have to reapply to the school.
Fine with me, my school is supposed to be really accepting of reserves, from what I hear from a Marine reservist who is already up there. I dont care how if I have to reapply or take indendent studies or whatever. To be honest I would rather be an active duty Marine, but to my surprise, and my parents suprise I actually got into a pretty good college. I want to take advantage of the opportunity I have been given with this college, but to me I personally feel being a Marine is just as if not more important. There is even a small part of me that kind of hopes college does not work out so I can just go to the Marines Active Duty. Its an uncertain future, and I will have to wait and see what happens, one things for sure though I need to become a Marine.

Thank you all for the replies.