PDA

View Full Version : Life afterwards.

Integrity57
06-05-07, 08:07 PM
I was hoping that any Marines who have retired from active duty could tell me what kinds of career fields are more.....conduesive (sp?), I think that's the word I'm looking for, to former members of the Armed Forces. I ask this because my step-dad is retiring from the Air Force after 23 years later this month, and because, who would know better than people that have been there and done that, especially hard-charging Marines? I know that he had an interview with Union Pacific but the specific job he applied for would have had him on the road more than he anticipated and I believe he has put in, or is going to put in, for a position with the VA. But maybe some of the Marines on this site have other suggestions for career fields to a fellow serviceman. Anything you all can throw my way would be greatly appreciated, thanks again.

devilpup82
06-10-07, 05:47 AM
Get a techie type job. IT (computer) Electronics are good fields. I work for the FAA and about 75% of the technicians are former military. Also air traffic control as well. Not too much of a call for a civilian grunt.....

devilpup82
06-10-07, 05:50 AM
Intergrity, when you are home on leave go to OKC, the FAA academy is there, on Macarthur. Also if you get to EDF, the Alaska Center is right off base, they may also be able to give you some info. Govt jobs, good way to go.

bigdog43701
06-10-07, 08:11 AM
Marines are historically "trigger-pullers". the majority of Marines getting out and going into civilian jobs work in the law-enforment field, ie. police officer, corrections etc.

thewookie
06-14-07, 09:30 PM
Once, or if you earn the title Marine there's nothing you can't do, or any job that's out of your reach in my opinion. I was a "trigger guy" but now I'm an officer working for a bank, and I'm sitting...

Old Marine
06-15-07, 08:53 AM
He said his father is retiring from the Air Force, not the Marine Corps.

Maybe, Greyhound is hiring bus drivers. He could still wear his uniform.

Marine84
06-15-07, 10:21 AM
He said his father is retiring from the Air Force, not the Marine Corps.

Maybe, Greyhound is hiring bus drivers. He could still wear his uniform.

LOL!! I spewed on THAT one!

MSgtBowling
06-16-07, 12:09 AM
or the post office

Marine84
06-16-07, 07:39 AM
Yeah, there are some who might be doing something similar to what they did in the Corps but, not very many. I dealt with electrical stuff and bombs in the Corps but I've done photography for a while since then and now work in a construction office.

You never know what's going to happen to you in life.

Integrity57
06-16-07, 12:51 PM
Thanks to all you Marines who took some time to answer my question, even the sarcastic answers lol;) .