PDA

View Full Version : France, Which side are they on?

SgtBigK
03-13-03, 08:28 AM
According to sorces, Fox News, France has announced that the new UK resolution with the 6 points will be vetoed no matter what. France went so far as to say that even if it was 1441 in its original form resubmitted, they would veto it. France has gone from being obstructionists to being an accompliance with Iraq.
This will not bode well for future relations with France. I always knew that the French political leaders were a bunch of back stabbers but, this is beyond the pale. Unbelievable ingrates.

:mad:

firstsgtmike
03-13-03, 10:24 AM
U.N. Absurdity
By George F. Will
Thursday, March 13, 2003;

(Condensed Version)

The United Nations is premodern because it is unaccountable and
irresponsible: It claims power not legitimized by the recurring consent of periodically consulted constituencies of the governed. Inebriated by self-approval, the United Nations is grounded in neither democratic consent nor territorial responsibilities, nor independent fiscal means, nor the material means of enforcing its judgments.

France would be well advised to avoid the subject of other potential powers. With India already the most populous democracy and soon to be the most populous nation, with its population growing more in a week than the entire European Union's grows in a year, why exactly is France (population 60 million) a permanent member of the Security Council? What of the largest Latin American nation (Brazil, 176 million), or the largest East Asian democracy (Japan, 127 million), or the largest Muslim nation (Indonesia, 232 million)?

The United Nations, a collection of regimes of less than uniform legitimacy, has anointed itself the sole arbiter of what are legitimate military actions. And it has claimed a duty to leash the only nation that has the power to enforce U.N. resolutions. How long will that nation's public be willing to pay one-quarter of the United Nations' bills?

"Do you believe that any use of U.S. military power lacks legitimacy unless approved by France, Russia and China?"

CAS3
03-13-03, 10:29 AM
My two cents..
Since when does a super power like the US of A need the UN to tell us if we can or cannnot go to war?
We don't need any one else's help and heaven forbid the NEXT time France or any other country need our help...hope they don't hold their breath.
We have Russia holding out because they can loose a brand new multi million dollar oil deal and France has been supplying the weapons to Iraq in return for oil.
Is it fear that others do not want to support our position because this time we are going to make Iraq a diplomatic society?
I think so.

GyG1345
03-13-03, 10:29 AM
Re CMC Dave Shoup.....

"Subject:
Former Commandant of the Marine Corps on Berets....

Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2001 07:03:08 -0400
Former CMC General Shoup On Berets

I think it is a sign of the times...the so called leadership is so far out of touch, they think that a beret will make a difference. The USAF tried to improve pilot retention by issuing WW2 type leather jackets to all pilots...didn't work, this won`t either.

About 40 years ago it was suggested to USMC Commandant David Shoup, that perhaps the Marines should adopt beret. General Shoup`s reply was " Why would anyone want to look like a faggot or a Frenchman?"

GyG1345
03-13-03, 10:30 AM
Re CMC Dave Shoup....

"Subject:
Former Commandant of the Marine Corps on Berets....

Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2001 07:03:08 -0400
Former CMC General Shoup On Berets
I think it is a sign of the times...the so called leadership is so far out of touch, they think that a beret will make a difference. The USAF tried to improve pilot retention by issuing WW2 type leather jackets to all pilots...didn't work, this won`t either.

About 40 years ago it was suggested to USMC Commandant David Shoup, that perhaps the Marines should adopt beret. General Shoup`s reply was " Why would anyone want to look like a faggot or a Frenchman?"

SgtBigK
03-13-03, 10:47 AM
"Do you believe that any use of U.S. military power lacks legitimacy unless approved by France, Russia and China?"

FirstSgtMike,

I answer this question "NO"
__________________________________________________ __
GyG, Why, indeed!

usmc85204
03-13-03, 11:44 AM
As long as we stay in the U.N. we are stuck with these rules. They are rules that we helped write. The security council was set up afterWWII and we thought that France would be our friend against the Godless communists. Wrong!!! I don't like the idea that France can tell us what we can and cannot do,but if you want to be a member of the club I guess you have to play by the rules. Maybe we should quit the club .....

Sgt Sostand
03-13-03, 03:11 PM
The UN is a Joke i think we should go our own way Quit the Club

firstsgtmike
03-13-03, 07:04 PM
QUESTION!

You are the President of the United States.
Scientists have discovered a meteor that is headed toward
the Earth. They have calculated that it will strike France
in two days at approximately 2:30 A.M.

The meteor is large enough to completely wipe France from
the face of the Earth forever. France and the UN have
requested that the US send all available ships and aircraft
to help evacuate the country.

Among the ships and planes you could be sending are many
that are being used to fight the war on terror overseas.

As the President, you must decide: Do you stay up late the
night of the impact to watch the coverage live, or tape it
and watch it in the morning?

SHOOTER1
03-13-03, 09:04 PM
Tape it, and watch it in the afternoon with a few cold beers.