thedrifter
06-05-07, 05:46 AM
Posted on Tue, Jun. 05, 2007
Graduates of honor
Brother stands in for proud Marine
Teen in infantry training can't attend graduation at North High School
By Jim Carney
Beacon Journal staff writer

Robert ``Bobby'' Roberts had planned to join the Marines for two years.

The North Akron teenager signed up for a delayed-entry program and went to summer school so he could join early.

The 18-year-old finished classes at Akron North High School in December and left for boot camp at Parris Island, S.C., Jan. 6.

His plan was to come back to Akron in his Marine Dress Blues uniform and walk across the stage with the rest of his classmates at North.

After completing boot camp, he enrolled in infantry school, but because he is still in infantry training at Camp Lejeune, N.C., he cannot get home for his graduation.

He finishes his infantry course late this week.

So Monday night, his 14-year-old brother, Tommy Roberts, stood in for his brother, Marine Pvt. Robert ``Bobby'' Roberts, in graduation ceremonies at the Akron Civic Theater.

His aunt, Robin Baker, 53, of Granger Township, said the family attended his graduation from boot camp earlier this year.

``He is quite a young man,'' she said.

``He wanted to be a Marine... He said `If I want to do it I want to be part of the best' .''

His brother, Tommy, an eighth-grader at Jennings Middle School, said his big brother is ``fun to be around.''

The Marine's father, Robert Merle Roberts, 50, a Navy veteran and a refrigeration technician for 7-Up Bottling, said he is proud of his son for accomplishing his dream of becoming a Marine.

His son, he said, will continue his training in special security forces in Virginia when his infantry training ends.

``It brings tears to my eyes thinking about him,'' he said.

``He grew up fast.''

Jim Carney can be reached at 330-996-3576 or jcarney@thebeaconjournal.com.

Ellie