PDA

View Full Version : Floats and Duty Stations

motocarlo
06-04-07, 09:14 PM
Hello and thanks for reading.

Of the infantry units that are based on the West Coast, East Coast, or Overseas, which go on floats more often? (Sorry if that question does not really make sense. I would assume overseas, but perhaps they all deploy equally.)

Thanks!

davblay
06-05-07, 01:20 AM
It depends on where they are needed most, at the time! Right now more are going to the War zone, and support areas, so the East coast (2nd MARDIV and FMFLANT), but at the same time we have to keep the Pacific strong as well, the 1st and 3rd MARDIV! I hope that answers your question.

Sgt D
06-05-07, 03:46 AM
There are no infantry units stationed overseas. Hawaii is as close as they get. Units from Pendlton and 29 Palms deploy to Japan for the 31st MEU. As for who deploys the most. Yes they all deploy equally as far as how often, but they go to different places. The location changes for units all of the time, so I couldn't tell you who is on a MEU more or who is on a combat deployment more. I could tell you about the past deployments, but it may not ever be that way again. Does that all make sense to you?

motocarlo
06-05-07, 09:03 AM
Thanks for the replies. I guess you can tell that I am basically asking which location I should put on my wish list so as to best set me up for Deployment. I really want to be out in the Fleet! It seems that their are too many variables, however, to mak this happen.

Marine84
06-05-07, 10:18 AM
Thanks for the replies. I guess you can tell that I am basically asking which location I should put on my wish list so as to best set me up for Deployment. I really want to be out in the Fleet! It seems that their are too many variables, however, to mak this happen.

Quit trying to "arrange" for something to happen - the Corps will do with you as they will. When filling out that dream sheet, make sure you list them in the order in which you would like to visit them.

motocarlo
06-05-07, 10:26 AM
Thanks again.

Echo_Four_Bravo
06-05-07, 02:29 PM
The fleet does not mean on a boat. The Fleet Marine Forces are the operational forces of the Marine Corps.

Regardless, when we weren't in a war it was a giant rotation. The 7th Marines (and maybe someone from Pendleton) the the pumps to Oki. Most of the 1st Marine Division did Western Pacific (WestPac) floats. The second division did Med floats. It usually worked like this: You went to SOI, were sent to your unit. You would do a workup for about 6 months, deploy for 6 months. Then you would stand down, have people leave, get out, etc. Get new boots, work up, float, and then you would likely get a FAP somewhere for your last few months in the Marine Corps or you would finish your time with your unit. If you reenlisted you would get orders to your next unit during this time.

Sgt D
06-05-07, 06:47 PM
The 7th Marines (and maybe someone from Pendleton) the the pumps to Oki.

Before Iraq deployments there were 4 infantry battalions on Oki at any given time. 3 were deployed to 3rd Marine Division (1 from 7th Marines, 1 from 3rd Marines, and it rotated from the East Coast) The other was on the 31st MEU (Marine Expeditionary Unit) and came from the west coast. Now however, there is only one battalion deployed to Oki in support of the 31st MEU. It's been rotating mostly between 5th Marines (Pendlton) and 2nd Marines (Lejune). So, it really comes down to what type of "deployment" you want. A "libo" float (to party) or a combat deployment. If your looking for "libo" or both, it's a lottery on the east and west coast. 3rd Marine Regiment (the old 3rd string) is the only regiment that (to my knowledge) is not going to be rotated to a MEU. Also Keep in mind all MEU's don't do libo floats, some are in Iraq. So my answer is just go to SOI without a Security Forces contract and the odds are in your favor to go to the FMF (Fleet Marine Force).
:iwo:

chili77bowl
06-05-07, 08:28 PM
DUDE! Always, Always, Always...ask for 7th Marines....

3/4 or 1/7 to be exact...
You will have a great time with these two battalions...
but Always Always Always tell them 7th Marines...

Echo_Four_Bravo
06-05-07, 09:12 PM
I never heard of a 2nd Division Bn. going to Oki. That's pretty cool though.

I don't know why you'd ask for 7th Marines- most people don't like the stumps. I'm an odd ball and loved the place, but just about everyone I knew wanted out of there.

ggyoung
06-06-07, 11:55 AM
Where are the 4th Marines? E4B=======You should have been at the stumps 66-68. That was the best duty I had in my about 8 years in.

outlaw3179
06-06-07, 01:38 PM
1st Marines have great history and traditions. I really enjoyed my time them. I was with 2/1 and I loved it.

maverickmarine
06-06-07, 01:47 PM
I don't know why you'd ask for 7th Marines- most people don't like the stumps. I'm an odd ball and loved the place, but just about everyone I knew wanted out of there.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I was with the 7th Marines and while I am proud to have been a part of 'em. I hated the freakin' Stumps so wouldn't recommend trying to get stationed there. I had no clue when I filled my list out, just thought, hell who cares where it is. It's California all beaches and ocean and **** right....Man, that was a long drive up the hill from Palm Springs realizing that I had done ****ed up. LOL

ggyoung
06-06-07, 04:07 PM
Who remembers the " Banning Bullit"?

Echo_Four_Bravo
06-06-07, 04:20 PM
Outlaw, I just looked at your profile. One of my best friends would have been leaving Golf 2/1 about the time you were getting there. Small world I suppose.

outlaw3179
06-06-07, 05:22 PM
Oh yeah ...what was his name?

CPLGRAY90-94
06-06-07, 06:35 PM
It just depends on your unit. I was in the infantry and was sent overseas 4 times in my 4 year enlistment. Kinda sucked but i had to do my duty.I did get to see alot of very cool things that i will never forget though. It is worth the memories!