PDA

View Full Version : Cpl Hobart Cobb

JAMarine
06-03-07, 10:17 AM
It is with deep sorrow I am here today to inform this Family of the passing of a Great Person, Man, Husband, Father, Friend and Marine.
I received a phone call about 0800 PST from Faye Cobb informing me of the this loss. This is all I know for now. I will post additional information as I receive it.
God Bless You Hobart. You will suffer no more. I will miss you so much but I know your faith in Jesus Christ has paved the way for you to the Glory of Heavan as you paved the way for all Marines from me to you.
I love you Hobart. You took the place for my own Father and now.... I'll never forget you my Friend.

rich

XJPower
06-03-07, 10:22 AM
im sorry for the loss, i hope he is with god in a better place!!

Semper Fi Marines :flag:

thedrifter
06-03-07, 10:47 AM
My Deepest Sympathy and Condolences for the Family and Friends....

Rest in Peace Mr Cobb:

When we have done all the work we were sent to Earth to do, We are allowed to shed our body, which imprisons our soul like a cocoon encloses the future butterfly;
And when the time is right, we can let go of it and we will be free of pain, free of fears and worries, free as a very beautiful butterfly returning home to God.

Outstanding Marine, Father and Friend

God Bless,

Ellie

jinelson
06-03-07, 10:50 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v660/jinelson/HobertCobbUSMC.jpg

This is indeed sad news. Mr Cobb has made a huge impact on many folks and will be missed in our Chat Room. I loved to hear him speak of his experiences on Peleliu and the landing on Okinawa. He was a fine man and Marine.

Jim

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v660/jinelson/FlagHalfMast.gif

Semper Fi Mr Cobb

yellowwing
06-03-07, 10:54 AM
I've had the pleasure to visit with Mr Cobb. It was a real Honor to talk to a Peleiu Combat Veteran (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-7576.html).

He reminded me and taught me of the Legacy of our Beloved Corps. :flag:

Argonne, Peleiu, Chosin, Hue City, Falluja, we Never Quit! Semper Fi Mr Cobb. Stand tall St Pete, a Marine is entering!

JAMarine
06-03-07, 11:08 AM
I just received a call and spoke with Debra, one of Hobarts daughters. She is flying to GA from Michigan. She states the Family looks toward the end of the week if not into the weekend for Services and Funeral.

I will update when I receive additional news.

God Bless Hobart.

rich

marinemom
06-03-07, 12:37 PM
This is a loss to all of us - most especially to the Cobb family. I will inform tigger and he will let the 1MARDIV folks who need to know..a hero of Pelilieu and the island hopping campaign, as well as being a "China Marine" is a person who should be applauded and respected.

TO all the Cobb family, you are in my prayers. God will hold you all in the hollow of his hand - and remember that he has Mr Cobb with him to also watch over you.

OLE SARG
06-03-07, 12:41 PM
My deepest sympathy and respect to the family of a wonderful Marine. May he rest in peace!!!!

SEMPER FI,

Seeley
06-03-07, 01:08 PM
He will be missed, and remembered well. Rest easy Marine.

Marine84
06-03-07, 01:32 PM
Rest In Peace Mr Cobb!

He was pretty cool - I got to talk to him a time or 2. Someone please be sure to post his arrangements for me - I think I'm in the same town -didn't he live in Kennesaw (I think?).

Semper Fi Sir!

thedrifter
06-03-07, 01:33 PM
THE FINAL INSPECTION

The Marine stood and faced God
Which must always come to pass.
He hoped his shoes wew shining
Just as brightly as his brass.
"Step forward now, you Marine,
How shall I deal with you?
Have you always turned the other check?
To My Church have you been true?"
The Marine squared his shoulders said,
"No, Lord, I guess I ain't,
Because those of us who carry guns
Can't always be a saint.
I've had to work most Sundays
And at times, my talk was tough,
And sometimes I"ve been violent,
Because the world is awfully rough.
But, I never took a penny,
That wasn't mine to keep...
Through, I worked a lot of overtime
When the bills got just too steep,
And I never passed a cry for help,
Though, at times I shook with fear,
And sometimes, God forgive me,
I've wept unmanly tears.
I know I don't deserve a place
Among the people here,
They never wanted around
Except to calm their fears.
If you've a place for me here, Lord,
It needn't be so grand,
I never expected or had too much,
But if you don't, I'll understand."
There was silence all around the throne
Where the saints had often trod
As the Marine waited quietly,
For the judgment of his God,
"Step forward now, you Marine,
You've borne your burdens well,
Walk peacefully on Heaven's street,
You've done your time in Hell."

TO ALL THAT SERVE,
SEMPER FIDELIS

AND WHEN HE GOES TO HEAVEN.......

TO ST. PETER HE WILL TELL, ........

ONE MORE SOLIDER REPORTING SIR....

I SERVED MY TIME IN HELL......

Phantom Blooper
06-03-07, 02:48 PM
Rest in peace Hobart! Semper-Fi! Marine!

Godspeed,fairwinds and following seas to Mr. Cobbs family!

Semper-Fidelis!

Chuck Hall :flag: :evilgrin:

Osotogary
06-03-07, 04:24 PM
Peace be with you and the loved ones who endure, Mr.Cobb. You always treated me well even though we never met in person and I can't thank you enough for it.
Rest in immortal peace.
Gary

jerryk
06-03-07, 04:38 PM
rest in peace mr.cobb take care of fiddlers green till we all get across to there

JimmyK
06-03-07, 05:37 PM
It's an unfortunate day here on Leatherneck to loose such a great member. I spoke with Mr. Cobb on many occasions and was always in awe of him and his accomplishments. Heres to you Mr. Cobb.:beer:

Semper Fidelis, Sir.:flag:

Dave Coup
06-03-07, 06:29 PM
Mr. Cobb was one of the first Marines I met when I joined this site. It wa s an honor to have met him. RIP Marine. You'll be missed.

Semper Fidelis

Dave Coup

CHOPPER7199
06-03-07, 06:41 PM
God speed Mr. Cobb, You will remain in my heart forever. You are a legend that will sure be missed. Semper Fi.

ivalis
06-03-07, 07:08 PM
Vaya con dios senor C.

peepaw
06-03-07, 07:51 PM
I meet him in the chat room on the Few. We had some great talks. He saw a pic of Chesty from my web site an asked if he could copy it and I gave him the ok. I also knew Lisa (Brat) as she was called, she to is a good person and missed. I know he was proud to be a Marine and he was very proud of his family. He will be missed in the chats but will not be forgoten. Rest easy Salt for you have done your duty> Semper Fi my Friend. Peepaw (foxtrot):flag: : :marine:

mrbsox
06-03-07, 09:02 PM
Never met the Corporal, but I think we chatted on a phone call once, that JAMarine passed around. And in the 'leatherneck' chat room a time or 2.

St. Peter;
dig out your roster, and advise thedrifter (R.I.P) he has a visitor, and set up another chair for the Bob Hope show.

Semper Fi

hrscowboy
06-03-07, 09:13 PM
Mr Cobb it was an honor knowing you and i know your not in any pain anymore Semper Fi My brother and May you rest in peace..

greensideout
06-03-07, 09:17 PM
I always enjoyed "MrCobb's" comments in the chat room and the way he made a new friend of each person he met. He will be missed.
Later MrCobb, Semper Fi.

JAMarine
06-04-07, 11:33 AM
I have just received the following from one of Hobarts Daughters;
I have information for you which will be helpful as you make your personal arrangements and answer questions of others. From our entire family, Richard, we are humbled and honored to hear of the interest others have regarding Daddy's final arrangements. I am personally looking forward to meeting you.

Thursday, 6/7: Visitations at Parnick Jennings Funeral Home, 430 Cassville Road, Cartersville, GA 30120, 770-382-0034. We do not yet know the exact hours of visitation, but assume there will be (at the very least) an evening visitation on Thursday, 6/7, and probably an afternoon visitation, as well.

Friday, 6/8: His service will be at The Church at Liberty Square, 2001 Liberty Square Drive, Cartersville, GA 30120 at 11:00 a.m. He will be interred at the Providence Cemetery & Mausoleum, which is about 1/4 mile from the church, immediately following the service.

Mom and Dad's address: 28 Mallet Pointe, Cartersville, GA 30121.

A Florist in the area which has done beautiful work for us in the past: Country Treasures, 770-382-0035.

Area motels: Hampton Inn 770-382-8999; 5600 Hiway 20 SE
Days Inn 770-382-1824; 5618 Hiway 20 SE
(fax: 770-606-9312)
Comfort Inn 770-387-1800; (fax: 678-535-0007)

All motels are near the interstate. From the airport, go north on 75 (towards Chattanooga) to exit #290. The motels are within 1/2 mile from the exit on State Hiway 20.

Mom and Dad's house: From exit 290, turn left and proceed ~ 1-1/4 miles to Kline Smith Road. Turn right onto Kline Smith and proceed ~ 1/2 mile to Polo Fields Subdivision (on right). Turn into Polo Fields and turn right onto Equestrian Way and turn left onto Mallet Pointe. Their house is at the end of the road on the cul-de-sac.

Debra and Faye

Marines and Friends, this is all I have for now. I will be arriving in Atlanta about 4:30 on Thursday afternoon.
If anyone has further question you may call me anytime; 253-228-1581
rich

Marine84
06-04-07, 01:02 PM
Thanks a bunch Rich! Semper Fi!

Marine84
06-04-07, 02:12 PM
I just ordered a red & gold spray with a banner that says "Semper Fi" - be on the lookout for it Rich - let me know if they did a good job with it.

JAMarine
06-04-07, 08:30 PM
bump

eniram
06-04-07, 09:54 PM
Semper Fi Sir, til we meet again

Rock
06-05-07, 03:35 AM
RIP Mr Cobb. You will be missed. You were a fine man, and we were blessed to have known you.

charliefoxtrot
06-05-07, 01:52 PM
I just got a phone call a couple of hours ago informing me. I am greatly saddened to hear of it! I will miss the occasional phone calls from him! as well as catching him in chat. Semper Fidelis Cpl. Hobart Cobb, Sir, you are a true hero of mine, and will be greatly missed! Rich, I can't make it to the service, so if you go please pass on my sympathies and condolence to his family. Thank you!

Ed Houston (charliefoxtrot)

rb1651
06-05-07, 02:11 PM
Rest In Peace, Cpl. Cobb. I will never forget talking to you when you pm'ed and then called me after my accident last year. Your compassion was and still is greatly appreciated.

charliefoxtrot
06-05-07, 02:17 PM
http://render2.snapfish.com/render2/is=Yup6JGa%7C%3Dup6RKKt%3AxxrKUp7BHD7KPfrj%3DQofrj 7t%3DzrRfDUX%3AeQaQxg%3Dr%3F87KR6xqpxQQQnxelJxGlGx v8uOc5xQQQ0P0anQonQnqpfVtB%3F*KUp7BHSHqqy7XH6gXP00 %7CRup6aQQ%7C/of=50,253,442

Cpl. Hobart Cobb

JAMarine
06-05-07, 04:58 PM
Thanks for posting that picture. I pulled all of mine out this morning. I will be taking them to GA with me.
Semper Fi Marine.

thedrifter
06-05-07, 07:12 PM
Thanks Ed!

It's Great to see Mr. Cobb...

This is hard on me, since I talked with Mr Cobb after Roger's death..

He gave me in-couragement to continue in Life....which I did...

That was Roger's wish also...

He would be sadly missed..:cry:

God Bless Mr Cobb!

Ellie

JAMarine
06-06-07, 07:25 PM
I fly out early in the AM for Cartersville, GA. I've received many phone calls this past few days from Marines and Supports in this Family wishing me well and asking for me to give personal condolenceces to the Cobb Family. I will gracously do that and thank you for your comments.
I will take what pictures that I respectfully can and will ask someone to post them on this site. I believe a request can be made of the Team here to put together one last posted story capturing Hobart's life.
I also had an idea to get onto Hobart's computer at home Friday evening and allow Mrs. Cobb and Family to read this thread. If they want to speak to anyone I'll assist them in coming on board the chat.

Semper Fi

rich
:flag:

Marine84
06-06-07, 07:32 PM
That would be cool Rich!

ssgtt32
06-06-07, 07:34 PM
Cpl Cobb, you will be sorely missed Marine! Too the family----We have lost a great asset to the world and this Marine site, please except my heartfelt condolences in your time of grief!

Maurice Tipton
SSgt USMC (Ret)

jinelson
06-06-07, 08:02 PM
Thank you Rich have a good trip. Please pass on my sincere condolances to the family. I believe that the family has already seen this thread as last night Jarheag1943 was logged on and viewing it.

Semper Fi

Jim

jarheag1943
06-06-07, 09:18 PM
I am writing from Daddy's computer. This is Debra. My Mom and sisters have visited this site several times today. We are blown away by your love and caring comments. Thank you. We are so proud of Daddy. And I think he will be proud of our send off. We are so honored to have come in contact with some of you via Daddy's accounts of your stories. Daddy has three surviving sisters who are too ill to come to the service. We are going to create a video for them (and ourselves) which will show the floral arrangements at the Funeral Home, the eulogy, the grave site service and a portion of the family luncheon immediately following the service . With Richard's help, we would be glad to make this available for 'posting'. Again, thank you for your many kind words. They are pillows of love that we are resting on. My Dad was a man of faith and we are assured he is now with our sister Lisa (Brat) and our Heavenly Father. While we cannot see him, we feel him all around. Thank you, and may God Bless.
Debra (Cobb) Rudasics

thedrifter
06-07-07, 06:41 AM
When A Marine Goes To Heaven.
You can keep your Army Khaki,
You can keep your Navy Blue.
I have the worlds best fighting man,
To introduce to you.

His Uniform is different,
The best you've ever seen.
The Germans call him "Devil Dog,"
His real name is "Marine."

He was born on Parris Island,
The place where God Forgot.
The sand is eighteen inches deep,
The sun is blazing hot.

He gets up every morning,
Before the rising sun.
He'll run a hundred miles and more,
Before the day is done.

He's deadly with a rifle,
A bayonet made of steel.
He took the warrior's calling card,
He's mastered how to kill.

And when he gets to Heaven
St. Peter he will tell,
One more Marine reporting sir,
I've served my time in Hell.

So listen all you young girls,
To what I have to say:
Go find yourself a young Marine,
To love you every day.

He'll hug you and he'll kiss you,
And treat you like a queen.
There is no better fighting man:
THE UNITED STATES MARINE!

Ellie:cry:

Dave Coup
06-07-07, 06:50 AM
"A man is never dead until he is forgotten." Mr. Cobb will never die while I'm alive.

Semper Fidelis

Dave Coup

Sgt Leprechaun
06-07-07, 07:11 AM
Semper Fidelis, Mr Cobb. Fair Winds and following seas.

"First star to the right, and straight on 'til morning"

jarheag1943
06-07-07, 09:07 PM
It's approx. 2145 EST time. I am setting in the very seat Hobart sat in for so many nights and for so many years yakking with all the Marines, Wanna-B's and others.
It's very humbling to be in this house with Faye Cobb (wife) and realitives. I want all of you to know that the viewing today went very well. A lot of tears fell for a GREAT MAN. A lot of great stories where told as well.
The arrangements are outstanding (Marine84/yours too) and Hobart looks so very Proud. Hobart is wearing the "Blues" he was so proud of purchasing this past year. His arms are along his side with hands folded accross his mid-section with pure white gloves tucked and folded accross his belt. In his right hand he has clasped a box containing sand from Peleliu and Okinawa. Faye told me this was sent by a Good Friend here on this site. Thank you, whom ever you are. And his covers bill is resting on his fingertips with a brilliant EGA facing up at Hobart. What a fantastic sight to see. Semper Fi Hobart.

I will post again tomorrow if I get the chance.
Semper Fi Marine, Wanna-B's, Friends and Others

Again, I am so humbled.

rich

Roulette
06-07-07, 10:46 PM
Richard,
I'll miss ((Hobart)) I never had a better friend! All my love and condolences to the Cobb family.
C.

http://www.jenningsfuneralhome.com/sitemaker/sites/jennin0/obit.cgi?user=hobartcobb#

Dave Coup
06-07-07, 11:59 PM
Thanks for the post Rich

SF

Dave

003XXMarineDAD
06-08-07, 12:16 AM
Thank you Cpl. Cobb for being a mentor to my two grasshoppers over the years.
God could have no better Marine to guard the streets of heaven then you.
May God Bless the Cobb family.

yellowwing
06-08-07, 12:22 AM
In his right hand he has clasped a box containing sand from Peleliu and Okinawa.
Aw...that did it. Cpl Cobb paid for that sand and Islands so we all can claim it in our Beloved Corps' History. :iwo:

Semper Fi Sir!

Rock
06-08-07, 04:03 AM
Rich, thanks for the update. Please continue to pass on my condolances to the family.

RIP Mr. Cobb

jarheag1943
06-08-07, 07:43 AM
Bump

jarheag1943
06-08-07, 08:00 PM
I just wanted to come in and let you all know that Cpl Cobb was laid to rest today with all the Glory and Respect he deserved.
There was another short viewing this morning at the Church. The arrangements were spectacular.
I was honored may times today. I had the opportunity to meet many of Hobarts Friends and Family. I was honored again when asked to be a pallbearer for Hobart by his Family. Again an honor, I was asked if I wanted to accompany Hobart on his Final Ride from the Church to the Mausoleum. I accepted. Even though a one-side conversation I could speak with him in peace. I did feel him with me. And when it was all said and done I was given numbers 4 through 21 brass casings from his 21 gun salute. As in tradition, numbers 1, 2 and 3 are placed inside the flag In A Place Of Honor.
The Marines from the local area showed and performed with precision and mastery.
What a long long day. A day filled with Sadness and Joy.

Our Hobart
Our Marine
Our Friend
Our Mentor
has been laid to rest.
God Bless you Hobart. Thank you for being my Friend and Confidant. I will remember you till the day I die.
We will meet again Brother.

rich

Rock
06-08-07, 11:08 PM
God bless, and RIP MrCobb.

Thank you, Rich, for keeping us updated. God bless you, Rich.

bigdog43701
06-09-07, 06:55 AM
MR COBB,

i have heard the expression several times over the years that a man's wealth can be measured bu the amount of friends he or she has. if that is true, you passed as the richest man in all time.

god bless you MR COBB, and rest now you have earned it.

SEMPER FI

charliefoxtrot
06-09-07, 05:45 PM
I hate to see this thread sink, but it is inevitable. Life goes on. Semper Fi. Hobart!! and Thank you Marine!!:cry:

jinelson
06-10-07, 12:16 AM
by charliefoxtrot - I hate to see this thread sink, but it is inevitable. Life goes on. Semper Fi. Hobart!! and Thank you Marine!!

That makes two of us brother, Semper Fi Mr Cobb.

Jim

SgtHMH
06-10-07, 12:40 AM
Marine Cobb has reported in for duty at the gates of heaven, which one day all of us Marines will do. We Guard The Streets Of Heaven, that is what us U.S. Marines do. We will join Chesty, Smedly, Daily to name a few. Another Marine reporting in were are my Dress Blues. All Marines are Air Wingers with gold wings on their backs to fight evil forever more together one and all from Nov. 10 1775.

Rest in peace Marine Cobb.

Semper Fi

Mr Cobbs Bratt
06-10-07, 06:58 PM
Just checked in with Mom, and she is doing OK. She has a hill to climb but she is not alone. Thank you for all the wonderful words about my dad. He will be missed but is in a better place.

yellowwing
06-10-07, 07:01 PM
Yes he is. He earned his place and the rest of us can aspire to follow his example and leadership.

JAMarine
06-11-07, 08:02 PM
On July 4th Hobart Cobb would have been 82 years young.

As we raise our drinks, eat till we can eat no more and celebrate the Independance of this Great Country; Please remember this Great Man and Marine.
As BigDog said, Hobart passed the richest Man. I would hope that some will take time to communicate with his Family. They too are Fantastic individuals. From Faye to his 3 Daughters, their Husbands and Children and Grandchildren, I've never met finer. God Bless them all.
JAM

Mr Cobbs Bratt
06-13-07, 08:06 PM
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">I would be interested in chatting with anyone who knew my dad Mr. Hobart Cobb. I am new at this and this may not be the right way to go about it; but it is the only way I can figure out right now.

Shelia Jackson
</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Marine84
06-13-07, 08:42 PM
Nah, you're in the right place Shelia. We would love talking to you too! I didn't know your Dad that well but I did get to talk to him a time or two and thought he was a hoot!

You know, my Mom is about 17 years younger than your Dad and she STILL gets overwhelmed by how the dang cordless phone works. A computer would TOTALLY freak her out! But, not Mr Cobb................I thought it was AWESOME that a man his age was so computer savvy. I would have loved to have known him in his time - I bet he was one bad a$$ Marine. He'll surely be missed around here.

My heart goes out to all of you. I'm just on the other side of town from you guys too so, if there is ANYTHING you guys need, all you have to do is call.

Semper Fi Mr Cobb and tell Chesty goodnight.