PDA

View Full Version : Corps Celebrity Classic is more than just a sport

thedrifter
06-03-07, 08:20 AM
June 3, 2007 - 12:00AM
Corps Celebrity Classic is more than just a sport

ANTONIO VELARDE
DAILY NEWS STAFF
Doug Flynn came to Camp Lejeune for the first time four years ago, and he has returned every year for a simple reason.

For the former Major League Baseball player, who spent 11 years with teams such as the Cincinnati Reds and New York Mets, participating in the Marine Corps Celebrity Classic golf tournament is more than just sport.

"For me, it's the only thing to do," he said. "I did not serve in the military, but I have such respect for the men and women who are that this is just a small way to help out."

Flynn is one of many sports and entertainment celebrities who say the Marines are the reason they keep returning to participate in the event, which begins Thursday and runs through June 10.

Event organizer Rosie Jones said that since the event began in 2004, the return factor among celebrities like Flynn has been very high.

"The number one thing for the celebrities is they feel it's an opportunity to give something back to the troops," Jones said. "And, frankly, they love how they're treated here."

Among them is former Major League pitcher Scott Sanderson, who spent 18 seasons in the big leagues with teams such as the Oakland A's, Chicago Cubs and the New York Yankees.

"I've always had a real love for our military, and just a debt of gratitude," said Sanderson, who has attended the tournament since it began. "So I felt that I was tremendously honored to be allowed in their inner sanctum to see what they do and how they go about their days at the base."

Proceeds from the four-day MCCC tournament will go to the USO, Disabled Sports USA, the Marine Corps Scholarship Foundation and Hope for the Warriors.

This week's activities start with a two-day pro-am Thursday and Friday, giving sponsors and troops a chance to play with the celebrities. Play will be at Paradise Point Golf Course aboard the base and, for the first time, the Jacksonville Country Club.

Things open up to the public Saturday and Sunday with a two-day celebrity tournament and a "Family Night with the Stars," an evening of free food, live entertainment, fireworks and a chance to meet the celebrities.

The celebrity tournament, which will take place Saturday at 9 a.m. and Sunday at 8 a.m. at Paradise Point, will feature 52 celebrities, including Major League Hall of Fame catcher Johnny Bench, former NFL star quarterback Jim McMahon and actor John Ashton.

During "Family Night with the Stars," from 6:30 to 9 p.m. Saturday at W.P.T. Hill Field at Camp Lejeune, attendees will enjoy barbecue, hot dogs, hamburgers and listen to country music group, The Karg Boys.

During the evening, attendees can also visit the celebrity autograph tent to meet the stars, and the sports memorabilia tent, which will have several autographed items available.

In addition, there will be activities for children, military equipment on display and demonstrations by golf trick-shot artist Buddy Shelton.

The celebrity tournament and family night are free and open to the public.

Jones said planners for this year's event are prepared to serve dinner to 10,000 people.

Contact Antonio Velarde at avelarde@freedomenc.com or 353-1171, ext. 8464.

Ellie